Battery monitor

Hermit

Hi all, last November I had to replace the Xantrex battery charger in our TopEnder.

The new charger worked ok for about a month and then started playing up. It would not keep the batteries at 100%. Sometimes letting the batteries get down below 90% and would not kick in.

The supplier of the charger, DPA Solar in Melbourne, sent me another charger, they were quite helpful.

Now with the new charger about 4 days old it is not always keeping the batteries at 100%.

The eLite monitor is showing the batteries anywhere from 100% down to 99.3%.

It has been very hot here for the last few days (around 40deg). The heat may be the cause??

Not sure if there is a problem or if others are finding the same thing. With my original charger, the monitor always showed 100% when plugged into 240v supply.

Just trying to get some gauge as to how the charger and monitor should work before contacting the supplier again.

Note: 2 of the batteries are just over 12 months old and 1 is 2 months old.

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Rob

Currently near Tamworth.

Hi Rob,

I too recently had confusing reports from my eLite monitor and I posted on this forum.  My issue was that the monitor was continually flashing 'synchronise' even immediately after synchronising!  Very frustrating.  I will add that I had my three AGM batteries replaced with three 130 Amp hour ones about a year previously when in Kununurra (that was all they could get from Darwin at the time) and they had been working normally and there were no synchronisation issues.

What I eventually discovered almost by chance that there was an unconnected cable lying loose tucked in behind the battery bank which appeared to suggest that my three batteries were not connected correctly at changeover!  Once this was corrected, the problem was solved.  I don't know why everything seemed so normal for so long before the eLite started registering the synchronise message.

So, I suspect your charger is OK and the problem lies with your batteries.  You failed to mention why only two of your batteries were replaced and I would venture that the remaining 'old' battery is the mischief maker.  Also, it would be interesting to know how your setup works on solar power only i.e. take the 240V charger out of the equation altogether.

Good luck!

Brian 

When you buy 240volt chargers always check that they are set to charge your type of battery  , same goes with your solar regulator . After my van was 2 years old I realized that my regulator wasn't set to charge at 14.2 volts , only 13.6 so it would take longer to get to 100%.

Cheers Nev

• Like 1

When you buy 240volt chargers always check that they are set to charge your type of battery  , same goes with your solar regulator . After my van was 2 years old I realized that my regulator wasn'tset to charge at 14.2 volts , only 13.6 so it would take longer to get to 100%.

• Like 1