WDH vs Airbags in the rear...

JohnN

Excellent John.  A very simple way to explain the differences of air bags to WDH.  Basically the air bags adjust the level of the towing vehicle's body and does very little to share the load weight where as the WDH adjusts the angle of the chassis and shares the weight between the tug and the trailer.   The only disadvantage of the WDH is during tight turns, the stresses placed on the tow hitch can be extremely over stressing the hitch and should be disconnected.   This would be a good video to place on all the caravan forums for all to see.

Cheers

Merv

• Like 1

When the topic of WDHs v Air bags arose some time back, I brought to notice the RACQ short video on the topic which highlighted the advantages of WDHs.

These  should be compulsory viewing.

Is it any wonder that some SUVs end up with cracked chassis. 55lbs in an airbag would not allow any spring action. Frightening!  

Bas

Hi Bas

They both have their advantages and disadvantages I think that it depends on your application.  I run airbags under the rear of the Silverado but only to level the van which when hooked up only drops the rear of the tug 25mm.   I think that they also help considerably with duck diving but saying that the only combination and probably the best is the air hitch.  

I spoke to a guy up Lake Argyle last Aug/Sep towing with a Silverado and he runs the air hitch with rear airbags as well and he said it was the best most comfortable ride/tow he has ever had.  He tried with a WDH but removed it, he found that his combination only fought each other.  The same thing applies to the Land Rovers with airbag suspension, WDH is strongly not recommended and in fact will void warranty .

So I think it just boils down to what suits your application best.

Oh, and 55psi in an airbag on the rear of a Chev Silverado is nothing to say the least.

Cheers

Merv

• Like 1