Caravan GVM upgrade (chains)

John and Jo

Trying to find which chains to use . 

Narrowed it down to gradeT 80 10 mm to be bolted on not welded 

We live in WA has anyone else here  going or gone through this exercise?

Different states different regulations 

about time we have Australia wide regs 

John 

Didnt read the subject properly

Edited by Zolle
Didnt read the subject properly

John, I think the standard for chains is a national one, as with number plate heights, braking for vans/trailers over 2.5t etc. The stamped chains I used were the 10mm 2.5t. There is anAustralian design rule that covers trailers and caravans.

cheers

Hi guys,

EACH chain MUST be rated to at least 4 tonnes....having 2 x 2.5t rated chain does not give you a 5 tonne rating. 

A 13mm rated chain similar in size/diameter to the original chain should be fitted.

Have a look at the drawing below for an idea on mounting the chain, using 8 x 10mm grade 8 (or better) bolts and nuts also 2 x 13mm grade 8 (or better) bolts and nuts.

Safety chain mount 001.jpg

• Like 1

From what I have learnt so far I  do need 2 chains of 4t plus .They are not available the nearest one would be 10 mm . I have been in contact with a Company in Queensland,Couple Mate who suggested to use their safety block to attach to draw bar,but they are 20 cm long then the fitting to the car is 30cm,much too large .

Kedron have only as this week become aware of this and they are  busy trying to come up with a simple solution.

The problem also is that we now also need rated shackles these are to thick to go through the chain.We can use a hammer lock but this will have to stay permanently on the vehicle.

John 

Is it no longer legal/acceptable to have chains welded to the A frame, or does that only apply to above 3500 kg?

Bas

• Like 1

Any caravan over 3.5t must have GradeT rated chains bolted not welded to  a frame. 

David Gall  is getting back to me with a suggested way of doing this .We are still having some issues  as to how to fit to the 200 series .

Under 3.5t its as is ok to weld the chains .

Edited by John and Jo
  • Like 1

Ha ha its a funny world.

There is a new listing in the Items for sale......

Topender & 200 series for sale....possible bargain there...... but read the description 'just had 4 tonne up grade'.....have a look at the photos....whats wrong?

Truly wish there was consistency, with the engineering/licencing authority's

I wish Chris & Lynne a speedy sale.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyH said:

Ha ha its a funny world.

There is a new listing in the Items for sale......

Topender & 200 series for sale....possible bargain there...... but read the description 'just had 4 tonne up grade'.....have a look at the photos....whats wrong?

Truly wish there was consistency, with the engineering/licencing authority's

I wish Chris & Lynne a speedy sale.   

Tony, have a look at the data plate. The ATM reads 3500kg. Looks like they have the Lovell braked towing capacity upgrade, but I suggest their ATM upgrade was/ still is 'work in progress' when they made the decision to sell.

If Chris and Lynn have made the decision to sell their rig due to health reasons, Margaret and I wish them all the very best and hope everything goes OK.

Pete

• Like 2