Fridges

BJW44

Hi BJW44

We have a Waeco (Dometic) 215ltr compressor fridge and it hasn't missed a beat in all our travels in and around the tropics, from high humidity to desert heat.  We also run a Valtera fridge fan on the bottom shelf of the fridge and it has improved the performance greatly.  

Cheers

Merv

As to the type of fridge, I think it comes down to the sort of travel you will be doing.  If you are planning to travel in remote areas for long stretches, the compressor is perhaps your best bet.  Gas bottles are not as easy to get and cost a fair bit more in the remoter areas.  People often tell me that with a three way fridge on gas they typically go through a 9kg bottle every three to four weeks.  With our compressor fridge we use the same size gas bottle in about three months, sometimes four months.  And that is with a gas oven and gas hot water heater.

Also, the jury is out on whether or not three way fridges are up to handling really hot weather.  I know our compressor fridge just keeps purring along with super cold food no matter the temperature.

I have only had experience with Vitrifrigo fridges but we have been happy with the three units we have had.  (We had to replace one in our first van after it gave up the ghost - but I think it could have been repaired, it was just that the fridge repairer did not seem to be all that competent...).

Chris