Silverado Transmission

Tolley

I am currently experiencing a problem with my Silverado transmission that other Silverado owners might find interesting.  The problem is yetbto be fully diagnosed and I will report further when it is sorted. 

The symptoms I have experienced are:

1. The vehicle may not move forward or back even though D or R is selected on the gear shift.  This is intermittent.
  2. If forward motion occurs it is in 3rd gear only.
  3. PRNDL display may not show up or only a partial display

When I scan the system I get the following fault codes. P0700, P0708, P0847, P0872, P0875, P1711 and P1713.

These DIC codes MAY suggest the NSBU as the culprit:

What is a NSBU switch? - acronym for "Neutral Start Back Up". Sometimes also referred to as a PNP ("Park Neutral Position") switch.

Where is the NSBU switch located? - driver's side of the Allison transmission.

Once the issue is diagnosed and corrected I will submit another report in this thread.

Regards to all

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks Col,

Please do keep us informed of 'developments'.

This switch is also known as an 'inhibitor switch'.

Cheers 

Leon, mine is an AUTEL brand.  Google it and you will get a lot od responses.  You have to ensure that the scanner is suitable to your make and model.

Colin

Hi Leon

Ours is an OTC OBD 11 & ABS. Also has 3208 on the back. Was given to us by Performax last September when we took delivery of our Silverado. Had occasion to use it February when we had a Stabiltrak problem message. Enabled us to fix it straight away.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

An update on the transmission.

Down here in the "land of the little necks" aka Canberra, a vehicle the size of a Silverado frightens the hell out of them!  Most workshops are not big enough to accommodate them and a hoist big enough to lift 4 tonne is a very rare bird.  After a lot of "to and fro-ing" i was placed in the hands of a couple of good outfits.  One had a hoist big enough and that is where the vehicle was placed.  They were very busy but took my truck in as a favour.  Much appreciated. It sat there for days while they cleared a backlog of work.  They started work on it last Monday week, 5 June.  Of course it was the Queens Birthday long weekend last weekend. Bugger, another day lost. To cut to the chase, we are now waiting on parts from the US that should arrive at weeks end.  If the parts fix the problem we should have the vehicle back next week sometime.  Hopefully we might be able to start our trip with the caravan on or about Saturday 24 June,

• I think this is the part we are waiting for from the USA:
  • Description: HARNESS, WIRING LCT - 3RD GENERATION, G - 7 SOLENOID TYPE (GROUP 1792)
  • Part Type: TCM’S, ECU’S, SHIFT SELCTORS, & WIRING HARNESSE’S
  • Applicable Series: ALLISON LCT 1000/2000/2400 SERIE

43 minutes ago, Tolley said:
  • I think this is the part we are waiting for from the USA:
  • Description: HARNESS, WIRING LCT - 3RD GENERATION, G - 7 SOLENOID TYPE (GROUP 1792)
  • Part Type: TCM’S, ECU’S, SHIFT SELCTORS, & WIRING HARNESSE’S
  • Applicable Series: ALLISON LCT 1000/2000/2400 SERIE

Hi Colin

Does it come with or without sugar. LOL.

Cheers mate.

Pete

• Like 1

Hello Colin,

Have you consulted with Victorian American Autos ( as I believe they are the guys who converted it, from our previous conversation) as I have always found that they are extremely helpful and can source parts quickly and very competitively.

They also carry a hell of a lot of stock (spares) as they have been in the business over 30 years.

I have a some friends who have purchased vehicles from them and are of the same opinion

Steve

• Like 2

Hi Col,

I would like to echo Steve's comments, the dealings I have had with John Bakker (Victorian American Autos), I found him to be a straight shooter and honest!

Not saying your guys in 'the land of the little necks' are not up to speed, but a phone call could possibly expedite repairs. 03 5176 0600   Johns mobile 0418 149 356

Cheers and hugs for Gayleen!

• Like 1

Tony, Steve and Pete,

Thanks for all that.  I have been talking to Heath Lawson of PID Engineer and he has been helpful.  The issue is oil getting out at the rear of the transmission and into the clever bits of that wiring loom.  Apparently, my transmission friends tell me, it is a very common problem for may makes of vehicle (apparently especially with Volkswagons).  Its all tied up wiyh solenoids, and computers.  From my no technical point of view it is just a pain in the arse!!  With sugar, Pete! 

I have captured John Bakker's details....thanks Tony and Steve.

Regaqrds

Colin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This post will only be of interest to Silverado owners or potential owners.

After one month I have the truck back and it is running beautifully.  Mark at Tuggeranaong Transmissions did a great job.  He started at the bottom of a steep Silverado learning curve but he enjoyed the challenge and he got it done.  He was helped greatly by Heath Lawson from PID on the Sunshine Coast and by some of his own contacts in the US.For the technical readers we replaced the LT1000 internal wiring loom, the pressure /pad switch LT1000, and the TCU (programmed up by Heath).  All good now.

We a planning on departing on our delayed trip on Saturday.

Regards

Colin

• Like 3