Shocker hitch

Danny and Sue

Hi Danny,

I have one of these (Class 6) very happy with it, from Boronia Towbars in Victoria.

http://www.btatowingequipment.com.au/AirSafeReceiverHitches.html

****They weigh approx 40kg's and will add about half a meter to the overall length of the tow unit****

Hello Danny and Sue,

We have used both hitches with our F250 and Van combination.

The  Shocker Hitch is a good hitch and was used with no issues, you need to have the ability to lower or raise the bag pressure whilst travelling to get the best out of the hitch action.

I do know of some who have the Shocker Hitch have broken the airline off the bottom of the Hitch which in my opinion is a concern and needs a protection plate. 

The Air Safe Hitches are superior due to the fact of the shock absorbers making a major difference to the ride of the towing vehicle and supporting your van.

The Air Safe is more expensive and quite bulky and protrudes out from the tow vehicle by 380mm from the receiver to the tow point.

Having used both Hitches over many miles and different terrain even considering Price and the Protusion I will never go back to a Shocker Hitch

Very happy with the effectiveness and overall operation of the Air Safe Hitch.

Cheers and Safe Travels

• Like 1

Hi Danny @ Sue

I have a couple of friends in the group that have these hitches. They are ok but as Greg and Tony said the Airsafe is far superior with the shocks. I have had the airsafe for around 20,000kms and it is a dream. It smooths out the truckiness of my F250 and looks after the van well.

Cheers.

P.S. If you go for the Airsafe make absolutely sure that you get the 6 tonner. The air hitch itself is rated 6 ton but they can come as 4 tonners which makes the bolt on tongue way too fragile. 

• Like 1

Yes Danny fully understand the size of the Air Safe Hitch is a negative in that regard

Go to the Shocker Hitch I would advise as mentioned hook up a remote air system with gauge inside cab as I did and you can adjust as needed when required for different road conditions.

Also as I mentioned make something to safeguard the airline at the bottom of the hitch.

Cheers Safe Travels

Greg aka Havago

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tony

With the Air Safe Hitch how does the Cantilever affect of the hitch go on the original Tow Bar as the weight is quite some way back from where the original tow ball would of been, and I wondered if  this would have more of a twisting affect which puts more pressure on fixing points of Tow Bar.

Neville.

That's my worry..

before mine was fitted i used to have the adjustable rancho on 6 and air bags with only 20 psi..  after fitting I had put the shocks up to there max setting and put the air bags up to 60 to get the same ride height..

now i'm getting the springs reset and an extra leave or 2.

really puts the weight a long way back. Especially with the auto coupler..

cheers danny

Hi Tony

Is there a separate plate between the receiver and the tow tongue to stop the receiver from moving sideways or is it only the two bolts that prevent this movement?  I was reading a post on the caravaners forum stating that a plate was to be welded to the tongue to prevent this movement, truth or fiction or not required?

Thanks

Merv

53 minutes ago, Merv and Di said:

Is there a separate plate between the receiver and the tow tongue to stop the receiver from moving sideways or is it only the two bolts that prevent this movement?

Hi Merv,

As you can see from the photos, yes I have a bolt and a heavy washer on each side of the McHitch receiver to stop the receiver 'twisting' sideways.

I have also welded a length of square bar (10mm) onto the tongue at the 'rear' of the receiver also to stop the 'twisting'

On 6/19/2017 at 7:21 AM, Neville and Kay said:

With the Air Safe Hitch how does the Cantilever affect of the hitch go on the original Tow Bar as the weight is quite some way back from where the original tow ball would of been, and I wondered if  this would have more of a twisting affect which puts more pressure on fixing points of Tow Bar.

Hi Nev,

I had never really thought about the 'load' being further back,(than a standard towball) but I guess it is just a little further back....whats an inch or two between friends.

I just adjust the air pressure in the hitch (so the arms are level...pump up hitch bag to about 80psi before putting van on, then connect van then drop pressure in hitch bag until 'arms' are level) &......adjust the pressure in the air bags (Air Bag Man) on the rear of the truck

I am truly not aware of any extra or undue twisting from this setup, I really can only give very positive feedback as the difference between using the standard Haymen Reece set up compared to the Air Hitch is chalk and cheese!

Cheers,

CU down the road

Tony.

tow hitch 013.JPG

tow hitch 012.JPG

• 6 months later...

Hi Bryan,

I haven’t used a WDH for many years now, even before I purchased my Air Safe.

Without some welding and fabrication to the tow tounge (fitted to the Air Safe) would you be able to attach WDH bars. (I believe)

Wishing you you a happy new year!

Cheers,

Tony H