Vitrifrigo fan running continuously

Chris

Our fridge's fan has started running almost continuously. It runs for a minute or two, cuts out then cuts straight back in again. This has been happening for a few hours now.

The fridge is still cold and the freezer compartment is still frozen.

I am unsure if the fan will wear out, and what it all means.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ours started doing the same thing a couple of days ago..  We had the thermostat replaced this afternoon.   Seems to be ok so far ...

JETnomads, was it the fan or the actual compressor which was running all the time?  Val says the thermostat has nothing to do with the fan....

Several years ago, our fan stopped working although the fridge worked but not as well. We took the van to the Fridge Whisperer at Caboolture and the fan was replaced as an internal wire had corroded. The thermostat was also replaced. The fan runs almost continuously now even when it is cold weather although not sure if the compressor does also.

Have spoken to the FW about it and he is puzzled why it is the case.

The fridge performs very well so have adopted the policy of "don't trouble trouble til trouble troubles you"!!

Bas

Chris, 

We have a 230L Vitrifrigo which has a Danfoss BD50F compressor working unit and have been through a similar set of symptoms. Your issue is very likely to be either thermostat or low gas. Start with the thermostat, replacing it may fix the problem and if that is the case it is quick and easy. However if your fridge is 4 years + old I suspect it may need a gas recharge. Go carefully here and don't let any old fridge mechanic tackle it. Find someone who has experience with RV refrigeration - the trick is that you can overcharge these units i.e. over-gas them and you will have a fridge that never switches off. A thorough refrigeration mechanic will want to remove the fridge from the van (in our case once through the bedroom window and once through the door opening after the door was removed) and put it on the bench for two or three days under instrument testing. What he is doing here is making sure the new gas charge is the right volume and that the fridge gets to the set temperature quickly AND SWITCHES OFF. The Danfoss BD50F unit is very high quality and has a good name in the industry. We have had good service from The Fridge Whisperer, 39 Aerodrome Rd, Caboolture (07) 5495 4944. I have no business involvement with this fellow.

Grahame   

Grahame, this is absolutely useful information.  We don't think it's the gas levels because (a) we had that done last year after a broken capillary tube and (b) the compressor is not starting up.  In low gas situations the compressor just keeps running continuously, from a previous experience years ago.

i think the Caboolture option might be the go.

Chris

Chris, I agree it is unlikely the gas level as the Fridge Whisperer checked our gas level when he replaced our fan and thermostat.

The fridge had to be removed from the cavity it sits in (he needed assistance from me to do this) but fortunately the work could be carried out in the van.

When the fridge was reinstalled, he needed to check how well it was cooling for a few hours so we went for a drive and a bite to eat.

I will be interested to hear what the diagnosis is with your fridge.

Barry 

OK, the unit has been tested and it is the controller ( apparently). A new unit has been ordered and will arrive at Goondiwindi in a few days time, so we will stick around here or hereabouts until it arrives. Not cheap, but not as dear as a compressor.

I gather it takes very little time to install.