A potential owner looking for advice

Peterv

Hi, 

Just joined the group today.  My wife & I are looking to buy an XC3 Compact early in the new year.  We have gone from a Camp-O-Matic camper trailer, to a Goldstream camper van then to a Jayco Expanda Outback.  Our experience with the Camp-O-Matic and Goldstream were great.  The Jayco less so.  In addition, the kids, having left school are less interested in camping with us, so it's time to look at something new. 

We enjoy the bush and the outback so we need something that will let us explore remote areas with the confidence that the van will not "let us down".  We have a modified Pajero (suspension, lift, DP Chip, snorkel, bull bar, etc.) so we are limited to an ATM of 2500 kgs.  The XC3 Compact seems right on the money.

We're retired so we have lots of time to enjoy the van, but I have a few health issues and as a result, need a van that is reliable and where the manufacturer provides good backup and support.  I'm hoping that Kedron will deliver this.

The options we are looking at include diesel heater, full ensuite and ESC.  I'd be interested in any thoughts people have in regards to how they have configured their van, what has worked and what has been less successful.

As we have tended to sell our vans fairly regularly, I'd also be interested in observations about the strength of the second hand market for Kedron vans.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot about the realities of owning a Kedron van through this group.

Welcome to our group. 

You might want to put a query into our "For Sale" section.  People who have previously wanted a van have put queries in there.  I have recently tidied this area up so only items from 2016 onwards that haven't sold are still visible.  Click on the ones still there and have a look at how they set them out and put in basically what you have done above.  Different people look in different areas so it doesn't hurt to have it in twice.

You will find the people from Kedron great for after sales service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Karen.  I'll spend some time, as you suggest, exploring the configuration of the vans in the for sale section to get some ideas.  It's a good idea.

Hi Peter

Welcome to the forum.

I think that the XC3 unless very small as in 16' is still going to be far too heavy for the Pajero.  I think that you will have to sit back and do some calculations as to your  GVM and go from there.  All the XC3's on the caravan sales all state ATM of 3500kgs.  It might be an idea to post a question here to find out the weights of actual owners setups and take it from there, or put a call through to Kedron  and ask them.

Good luck

Merv

Many thanks Merv,

Spoke to Paul at the factory and the 16' Compact version of the XC3 comes in with a tare weight of around 2 tonnes and an ATM of around 2.5 so it should be OK.  But will still need to be careful of the weights.  I'll need to look at the impact, for example, of dual batteries and solar panels, on the overall weight of the van.

When you have a Pajero (or a Prado) weight is a constant challenge.

• 11 months later...

Well we finally bit the bullet and bought the CP5, including the following options:

Dual windows on offside bedroom

Truma Aqua Plus hot water system

Pocket spring mattress and bolster

Diesel heater

3 x Sirocco fans

Drawers & linen tray under bed

Bike rack

Euro annex & 

ESC

Delivery due October 2019, well in time for summer holidays.

Now looking at the car.  Tossing up between increasing the tow ball rating of our Pajero to 300kgs (relatively cheap) to buying a new (or near new) LC200 (relatively expensive).  Oh well, we have plenty of time to decide.

Edited by Peterv
spelling error
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tony n Irene. I’m sure we will. We were initially concerned about the lack of bench space, but after looking at the Compact, we came to the view that it would be fine. Overall, it’s amazing how much they pack into a small van.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Well, after placing the order for the CP5 last October, we have now ordered a new tow vehicle.  Landcruiser 200 should be delivered around April.  We’ll be getting all the usual mods done, including a GVM upgrade prior to the first registration.  Going to be a very different experience to towing with the Pajero.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

After having sold the Pajero, we have picked up the LC200.  Had the Lovell’s GVM upgrade and 2” lift before it was registered, have also had the ARB Summit bar fitted, UHF installed and will soon get the brake controller and wiring done.

The Jayco just sold so we will be van-less until the CP5 arrives, hopefully late October.

In relation to the CP5, we have chosen the colours, added some more options (including a second spare and the new pressure hatch) and now it’s just a matter of waiting and watching the videos of other vans being delivered to their new owners.

October can’t come quickly enough😀

• Like 2

Peter if your picking up your new van in October......maybe you should do a shakedown tour of SE Qld and attend our Christmas gathering at Kilkivan in early November.

Cheers.....enjoy your ‘new baby’

Tony

Thanks @TonyH I have thought of that and in fact have asked Graham if there was any chance we could coordinate handover with the Christmas gathering.  Delivery hasn’t been scheduled yet so he couldn’t commit.  If at all possible, you’ll see me there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @TonyH sadly we won’t be starters for the Christmas gathering.  We have pushed the delivery date out to December, because of my wife going into hospital (nothing too major).

Hopefully next year 🍾

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Katrina,

Welcome to KOG.

I'm sure you will find lots of info on these pages, any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Hi Katrina,

While it is a long wait, it does start to get very exciting when the time is close.  We’re now counting down the final weeks.  Our pickup should be on December 10.

What configuration did you order?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well we have finally collected our van, and, unsurprisingly, we are very happy with it.  Hopefully 2020 will be full of great trips.

Here is the video Glen did of the handover.

• Like 3

Congratulations on picking up your new van,

If you only have half the fun we have had with ours, you will be one very happy camper.

Safe Travels

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1