GCR Trip

petdav30

Hi All,

Currently developing a trip plan to travel the Great Central Road East to West early next April. Have read much about the first 180klms from Yulara towards Docker River in the NT section and how this is the worst section of the entire GCR. I've even read its unsuitable for Vans, which is a bit of a worry.  Would appreciate any advice from those who have travelled the GCR, ie:  anything you think relevant to a first timer and in particular, how may klms of this first section between Yulara and Docker River should I realistically expect to cover in a 7hr driving day. (driving LC200 with XC3 full of water)

regards;

Pete

We did west to east six years ago and yes the whole NT section was rough then. Having a Kedron Van, no worries, just take your time and drive to the conditions.

From Laverton to Yulara took three and half days. I’m sure other Members will have more update information. We enjoyed the experience, especially the camels. We passed 27 vehicles during the trip. We travelled this trip on our own. Enjoy the trip.

Hi Pete.

It is certainly great trip and one that we enjoyed.  I note it has only just reopened as we write this, due to rain.  So check conditions well before you set out.

it could pay you to do a search of the forum using the term Great Central Road...it will bring up a heap of information.  That will include our trip reports from 2013.  See here.  http://www.kedronownersgroup.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1970-west-macs-mereenie-loop-and-great-central-road/