An interesting day yesterday

Chris

We are now at Castlemaine, at a caravan park which charges fiercely at $50 a night (peak season!). I didn’t realise the cost when booking, There is a story about the booking...

Yesterday was an interesting day. Not for the right reasons. We had booked at a caravan park in Melbourne, for five nights. A Big4 we have stayed at several times before. Since our last visit, they have removed more van sites and put in more cabins, as they are wont to do.

Our booking was made two months ago for a specific site which would fit our van, a 19 footer with a long drawbar.

We arrived about 1.00pm after a fair drive, and entered a tension filled reception office. The staff were all frazzled, and it related to booking confusion. They said it had been a hard day. It looked like it, too. Anyway, we gave our name and booking reference. We were told someone else had been placed on that site but they would try very hard to find an alternative site we would fit. This took a looong time, with muttered referring to the computers by two staff. Eventually a site was found.

We drove in to see it. It was among a pile of tents, next to a cabin and an impossible angle to get onto it. So we asked for our deposit back and left.

It seems someone had before we arrived been accommodated at short notice, and took someone else’s site, who then took someone else’s site who then....you get the picture. All this was done by the park staff who probably just prayed we would fit the given site, or not turn up. Grrrr.

So we rang Castlemaine and booked a site here. Another nearly two hours travel and we arrived. It is a delightful town and lovely park and we are now relaxing.

The road detours due to closure of part of the Western Ring Road out of Melbourne did not assist either. Without a very good Hema navigator we would have been lost.

As I said, it was an interesting day.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wandering Slaters said:

Yes it is a shame when a well constructed plan goes to hell.  Such a pity when you booked so far out.  Hope you enjoy your time at Castlemaine.

We love it here.  It is a fascinating area.

• Like 1

Make sure you visit Maldon which is just outside of Castlemaine if you have time, It is a beautiful place. I spend a lot of weekends free camping at the 

Butts camp ground there .I was born in Maldon and love going back there

Kakadu

Castlemaine is indeed a beautiful town, very quaint, lots of old buildings, the museum/ art gallery  is worth a look. A must try is Castlemaine Rock in a round yellow tin, a yummy hard candy peppermint .

I was fortunate enough to have been born there, my grandfather was the town dentist.

Cheers

Penny

49 minutes ago, Nev and Penny said:

Castlemaine is indeed a beautiful town, very quaint, lots of old buildings, the museum/ art gallery  is worth a look. A must try is Castlemaine Rock in a round yellow tin, a yummy hard candy peppermint .

I was fortunate enough to have been born there, my grandfather was the town dentist.

Cheers

Penny

Any correlation between the Castlemaine Rock and dentistry...?  :lol:

We have been here a few times before and absolutely love the area.  I would happily live here.  We drove out to Mt Alexandra and looked at the two camp sites out there, but realised they will not be too good in the hot weather which is coming 

You were lucky to be born here.

59 minutes ago, kakadu said:

Make sure you visit Maldon which is just outside of Castlemaine if you have time, It is a beautiful place. I spend a lot of weekends free camping at the 

Butts camp ground there .I was born in Maldon and love going back there

Kakadu

Yes, Maldon is another spot I could happily live.  The old buildings....the lovely countryside!  We will go look at Butts Reserve.

Penny,

Chris just beat me to it, your grandie made his money from all the kids eating Castlemaine Rock.....lol

Love and hugs ur going to enjoy Tassie!

Hi Chris.

The caravan park you originally booked in Melbourne, would that be the Discovery Parks one, I think it is also a Big 4.  We are booked in there over Easter.........hope we have a better experience!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for now.

Pete.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2018 at 4:07 PM, TonyH said:

Hey Chris,

Tassie’s better......it is an absolute pearler of a day here!

Cheers

Tony

PS enjoy ‘ cassil mayne’

Get outta here with all that “Tasmania in Summer” talk. ?. Make sure you post regular trip reports.