Towing with Toyota Cab Chassis

Jaap

Hi all

Are there any members towing with a Toyota Landcruiser 70 series and if so how does it perform

At present I have a 200 series but have a weight problem when the van is attached

Your advice would be appreciated

Jaap

Hi Jaap

Please forgive my ignorance but wouldn't you have the same problem with either vehicle?  I wouldn't have thought that there would have been that much difference between the two, might be a little more with the single cab but the dual cabs would have to be very similar.  How much weight are you talking about?

Cheers

Merv

• Like 1

Merv

I need about 350 extra Kgs

Probably won't be able to afford a new Silverado etc

The Single Cab has a GVM of 3400 and a kerb of 2175 according to toyota

The 200 I have now has a CVM of 3350 and a kerb of 2715 (real world weight bridge, full fuel no occupants 3140)

There would seem to be a 300 Kg saving if one counts the tray as 250 Kg

Queensland rego

Can't get an answer to the question If I have the GVM uprated (ARB to 3580 Kg) does the van have to lose the increase 230 KG 

I wish I were a millionaire then it would be a new Chev/GMC for me !!!!

Hi Jaap

Don't forget you still have to add all the extras to the weight of the C/Chas ...... Air con, B/Bar, Tow bar, radios and all the other crap we all seem to carry and forget about.

I tend to agree with Merv........................I don't think there is much difference . Certainly not 350Kg.

P.S: Trust me, You don't need to be a millionaire to have have a Chev/GMC or F Truck as I have a GMC and I am so poor that I can't pay attention ................................But I guess it would help.

By the time to buy a new cruiser and then spend all the money setting up with beefed up suspension, elec brakes and all the other stuff, you are not far off the price of a good second hand Chev/GMC or F Truck or even a new one as they don't require all the beefed up suspension, elec brakes etc.

Hi Jaap

The other consideration to be aware of is that there will be a greater chance of the old "tail wagging the dog" syndrome, the ute will be a lighter than the 200 series.   Apparently new Chev LTZ crew cab will be hitting the floors from the HSV camp mid year at $135k not sure whether on road costs in included.   I saw price on another forum.

Cheers

Merv

• Like 1

Hi Jaap.

Unless you really want/need a ute, and if you already own a 200 series Landcruiser, why not upgrade your current vehicle to suit.  Many 200 series owners, including us, have gone down the path of getting the Lovell Springs upgrade to a 3800kg GVM and a braked towing capacity (BTC) of 4000kg.

We also went down the path of considering an Silverado or GMC.  However, our vehicle is our 'daily drive' so, since we live in suburbia, the 200 series Landcruiser was our best option because it's more user friendly around the city.  If we were full time on the road, we would have chosen the Silverado or GMC; it's all a compromise to what suits your needs.

There is plenty of assessable information on this subject on this and other forums to research, so I will not go into the details here.  

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Morning Jaap.

i towed our ATV with the cruiser ute for a while.  Power and reliability were not a problem. I spent a heap of $$$$ on upgrading gvm,suspension etc etc and it never felt safe. Used to wander around at anything over about 85KPH.  it was loaded pretty heavy with boat etc .have a silverado now and it’s great.

cheers Danny 

• 4 weeks later...

We have a 79 series dual cab and we have just begun towing our XC3 (~3300kg loaded).  I guess I don't have much experience to compare, but as a new van tower, after about two hours behind the wheel, I got the feel of it and it towed fairly predictably.  Now, a 200 might sit better on the road and be easier... I am not sure.  Mine's lifted with mud tyres etc. so it's not going even run as stable as a stock example (although stock suspension is terrible towing).

On the nicer highways, I probably sat at 90-95kph.  Anymore than that and diesel disappears at a fast rate!  I do have a remap/exhaust/intake done, so there was no problem with power going up the Toowoomba range and other long steep inclines.  I am going to get a brake booster as I feel the stock brakes after a lift are not great.

On the back roads, we were between 70 and 90kph because of all the ditches, narrow asphalt, hills, turns etc.  

Don’t be scared of the size of a yank tank , we have a Silverado 2500 and have no problems parking at our local Coles and Woolworths and even the good shops like BCF and Bunnings. My wife drives it all around Brisbane. 

Cheers Nev