Cost of Service of suspension

Chris

We have just had our ten year old Top Ender’ s wheels aligned and suspension serviced, here in Adelaide.  (We have a Cruisemaster independent leaf suspension).  The suspension service involved replacing bushes and other related stuff.  The whole exercise cost quite a bit, mostly because there was 13 hours of labour involved.  The overall cost was $3176.

How much have others been charged?   I have a horrible suspicion that had we taken it to Kedron it would have been cheaper 😄

• Like 1

Our van was 8 years old not sure how many klms, I know on fourth set of tyres.

Had suspension serviced at Kedron approx 18 months ago and total cost was $440.00 minimal parts required.

Dont know if anyone else can relate to this.

Cheers and Safe Travels.

I recently had my 2008 ATV suspension (Tandem independant leaf) serviced at Cruisemaster in Brisbane.

The service included replacing the rocker bushes and spindles with greasable ones, and replacing all four backing plates (incl magnets and shoes), replacing all four drums with new. 

The total cost of the service was $ 2995.

Attached is a copy of the invoice for reference.

Cruisemaster Invoice.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenG said:

I recently had my 2008 ATV suspension (Tandem independant leaf) serviced at Cruisemaster in Brisbane.

The service included replacing the rocker bushes and spindles with greasable ones, and replacing all four backing plates (incl magnets and shoes), replacing all four drums with new. 

The total cost of the service was $ 2995.

Attached is a copy of the invoice for reference.

Cruisemaster Invoice.pdf 187.68 kB · 0 downloads

Ken, this is almost identical work and parts replaced in the suspension.  It is heartening to see it is almost the same price!

Thanks for advising this information....It will be helpful for others to know approximately how much a full service costs.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm blown away by the cost of the 'services' as outlined above.  Both Chris and KenG seem to have had a complete suspension rebuild IMHO.  I've just had my nine year old ATV2 suspension serviced, and I add our van has done some hard yards over the years, at a total cost of $328. I spent time with the mechanic after the service to find out exactly what he had done and to my mind he did all of the essential stuff.  I will need magnets on one wheel replaced the next time I have it serviced.

I had a service done at Kedron a couple of years back and the cost was pretty much in the ballpark that Havago was charged.

I do my own greasing of the suspension fairly regularly -- certainly before any long trip and sometimes during the trip as well but that's not going to affect the backing plates, and drums at all.

So why the difference?  Anything to do with driving techniques perhaps? Or something else?

• Like 1

Hi Morribm.

There certainly is a disparity in the posted prices for servicing the suspension.  It is related to what components need to be replaced, rather that just having the wheel bearing greased and a general inspection.

Late 2019 we had the suspension serviced on our ATV for two. Having done the Plenty Highway, the Tanami and the Gibb River Road in 2018, and the Cape in 2019, the suspension really needed a service. In addition to greasing etc, 2 bushes were replaced, all the brake pads, and the magnets, plus a wheel alignment.  The cost of the service, including parts, labour etc, was about over $3000.

In early 2018 we had the suspension serviced before we did our long trip, only $440 as Havago has stated.  

As with anything mechanical, servicing costs depend on what needs to be done and the time it takes.

Cheers from Pete.

• Like 3

Thanks for the clarification Pete.  

I realise some suspensions will need more done than others but I guess the question I was asking is given that we have done pretty much the same amount of off-road travel, why is it that some suspensions appear to have need of more being done to them than others?  I also suspect there isn't a single answer to the question and perhaps the best answer would be "because they just do!" 😊

Cheers

Brian

• Like 1

Our 11 year old van has done some serious off-road work.  Who knows if it is comparable with what others have done, but it includes the Oodnadatta Track 10 times, the full Savannah Way, the Strzelecki eight times, the Gary Junction Road twice, the Plenty from QLd to WA twice, the Flinders numerous times, the Gibb River Road etc.  I once estimated it had done a conservative 100,000 kms of corrugations...and has held up beautifully.  Except for the four springs which went after the last Plenty Crossing, and Val had to replace them one by one 😁

But we now have a new suspension which will last us out I reckon.

Val services the bearings himself as he doesn’t fully trust others to do it properly.  

And I would hate to suggest ATV42 doesn’t look after his van meticulously.  That bloke is obsessive about looking after his van!

• Like 2

Hi Chris

Yes, I am obsessive about looking after our ATV for two.  This is our second KEDRON, having done over 250,000 km since 2003.  

Before we head off on a major trip through a remote area (once a year), we have the suspension serviced. My background of 38 years as an aircraft engineer in the aviation industry, is that ‘near enough is not good enough’.  Factory standard or better is what I want to achieve, and I’m prepared to pay for it.  In the long term, I believe that preventative maintenance is cheaper in the long run.  Imagine the cost of having a serious suspension problem in the middle of nowhere.

There is no simple answer to this question. It’s really up to what each KEDRON owner wants. We are all individuals and our needs differ in what we want to achieve.

No more comments from me on this subject. It’s a never ending conundrum. 

Cheers from Pete.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 17/05/2020 at 5:54 PM, Tolley said:

I grease the 31 grease nipples under my van every 10,000 km, irrespective of where I am.

Thanks for this advice Tolley.

(You all understand this further advice comes from Val...I am a technical twit).

Val says he does a full lube and check of all the nuts and bolts in the suspension and adjusts the brakes. Then about every 10,000 kms he does a lube job (greasing things) and again checks tightness in all the bolts.  He does regular checks of hoses and connections under and around the van.

It is valuable to discuss these issues, especially for newer members and van owners who may not realise what is needed or how often.

• Like 3