Off To W.A.

Fieldsie

My wife, Sandra and I are in the early stages of organising a trip to the S.W. corner of W.A. We plan to go sometime next year, probably leaving Brisbane in mid August, travel to S.A. spend some time around Adelaide, visit Kangaroo Island, camp on the Eyre and Yorke Peninsulas before taking on the Nullabor.

We intend spending most of our time on the S.W. coast between Esperance to Perth and may venture up the west coast as far as Kalbari before heading home via Kalgoorlie.

We expect to take about three months or so and be back in Brissie by mid November.

We would appreciate any suggestions from other members who have already done a similar trip, good places to camp and must see destinations.

Any advice would be welcomely received

John (Fieldsie) and Sandra :shades:

We love that part of WA - arrived intending to spend about a month there and spent closer to 5 months.

As Jody says, Cape Le Grande is beautiful. We put the van into one of those lovely spots right near the beach (just opposite the site hosts' camp).

We LOVED Canebrake which is a bush camp in a national parks managed reserve or park right on the Margaret River, out of Cowaramup. See if you can find reference to it; if you have trouble just shoot me an email and I will try to find the directions. You pay about $10 a night fr a drop toilet and no ther facilities, but each camp site has an individually camp recessed into the bush, with a table and fireplace.

Another spot we liked was the Big 4 just north of Cowaramup (Taunton Farm).

And we liked Augusta; we stayed at a park just a bit out of town - a council run park. Can't remember it's name but it is named after the beach its on from memory.

I could keep going... Oh yes, Hoffman Mill (near Harvey) has wonderful bush camping, and if you can find anywhere as lovely as Nanga Mill, I will eat my hat. Try to visit Shannon National Park too - near Pemberton.

Chris

Well, we are always up for a chat with you guys! So you're on!!

I think our respective plans for next year are remarkably similar, and we will probably end up travelling part of the way together at least. Anyway, I hope so.

After we pick up the new van in late Feb we plan to head up the coast to Cairns, staying in at places like the national parks west of the Bruce Hwy north of Townsville, and the Atherton Tablelnad. About March/April head across the Savannah Way back to Darwin about June. Stay in Darwin for a month or two (family!) and then across to WA. Etc etc.

Chris

PS Have I said before that I can't wait for the new van!?