Problems With 3 Way Fridge In Hot Temperatures

Rosco

A FOLLOW UP FROM JOHNS POSTING IN THE VITRIFRIGO TOPIC

I went through the 3 way vs compressor fridge dillemah when I first ordered my Kedron. I read a lot about it and was still undecided until Dave talked me into th Vitrifrigo.

Although I was happy with the compressor fridge i did have a few problems and always wondered if the 3 way was a better option.

IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO GET SOME FEEDBACK FROM OWNERS OF THE 3 WAY FRIDGE.

I PUT THIS QUESTION TO THE FORUM.

DO YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR 3 WAY FRIDGE IN HOT TEMPERATURES (38 DEGREE PLUS)????

AND IF SO WHAT HAPPENED???

ROSCO

:confused1:

POST IN VITRIFRIGO TOPIC FROM JOHN

"When I specified my new Kedron XC at the end of 2006, I had a choice of Electrolux 3 way fridge with one battery and no solar, the Electrolux with one battery and one 130watt Kyocera solar panel or the Vitrigo with THREE batteries and THREE solar panels. I chose the middle option because I have had a good run with Electrolux fridges for 30 years and I didn't want to pay THOUSANDS more for a compressor fridge along with ongoing high battery replacement costs.

After a round Australia trip, admittedly in Winter, I now know that I made the right decision. I do have a TROPICAL Electrolux fridge though and the Gall boys fitted it correctly with adequate ventilation. When camped at Ningaloo for a month, it was great not to have to worry about battery capacity!

When on the road, the absorption fridges do consume a lot of current and hence voltage drop is inevitable. Keeping the caravan battery fully topped up was not possible when the sky was overcast. Upon arriving home, I found that the culprit was the Toyota Prado D4D alternator settings as dictated by Toyota. This was rectified by a very clever new device called a RanOx battery booster.

Now, all is spot on for daily tripping or long term bush camping. The moral of the story is that Electrolux 3 way fridges aren't as bad as some make out when correctly installed.

Cheers - John"

G'day Rosco,

We have a Dometic 4601(185lt) 3 way fridge, as long as the fridge is installed properley ie enough ventilation, the right insulation around the fridge you should have no problems. We did a test on gas, 6 weeks on a 9kg. :thumbsup:

I think it all depends on your preference, we liked the idea of less weight(less batteries) and electrics. No compressor noise. Our van runs 2 batteries 1 solar panel. The batteries only run the LED lights, TV and Radio

Hope this helps.

Mark & Bernadette :shades: