If you were building a new van what would you change

HAVAGO

A diesel heater.

300mm more in the width and length of the combined shower and toilet.

I would also make the coupboard at the end of the bed (in our single bed layout) floor to ceiling instead of just bench height.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Cheers

Jody

Hi Greg & Judy,

Welcome to the group.

We're pretty happy with our van but an Oyster dish would be handy...

I'm not sure if you really want to know what we'd do different next time - more what should you do to get it right for your new van?

Greg and Judy,

can you tell us a bit more about your van on order? Can you post the floor plans? (Forgive me if you have previously posted this information and I have missed it).

Chris

Hi Greg & Judy,

Things we would do different -

- Definately a Webasto heater

- Blackout curtains (however I think the new vans have this with their new window styles)

- an Oyster dish would be nice, although I don't know how they would stand up to harsh corrugations

- extended A frame (we didn't get it because of current storage space)

Things we love -

- internal shower/toilet

- full floor to ceiling pantry cupboard

- washing machine

- cafe style seating

- external hatch to take outside chairs, table, fishing gear etc.

- 1800w inverter

....and just the toughness and reliability of a Kedron in general

Hi Greg and Judy. I think I've seen that plan before. It is almost identical to the 19'6" Topender that we are due to pick up in late February.

Some comments: You can install a full height pantry just inside the door on your immediate left (I'm not sure what the 320mm you have there is!)- shelves at the top, drawers under. The external door accessing under the bed will be a boot door unless you pay a heck of a lot extra. There does not appear to be a spot identified for the Deisel heater. Stan chose to install ours under the bed where you have the second (smaller) pullout drawer. Also I agree with Sue (Webby) about the 1800 watt inverter. If you are spending so much on a van a good inverter is an investment. I have purchased the 1800 watt Xantrex PROsine 1800i. The price is variable but try https://www.planetearthsolar.com.au :thumbsup:

Best price I have seen lately for the Xantrex 1800 is from Vince @ Fridge & Solar - $1800

http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/invert.htm

No one has listed anything I've missed except the sat dish... so I'll add:

- Fishing rod locker...

- TV mounted higher - not where Kedron normally mount it (we've moved ours).

- More shower tanks

- Make sure the full A frame insert is filled as a tray (we have it but Kedron don't do this any more)

- Inverter A/C instead of roof

- Extra support/locking of the fridge door for rough roads

- Larger bathroom - if you can work it in

- A better sink setup than the fold up - the drain is useless

- Make sure the plumbing doesn't have any water hammer

What I love and what I'd do again:

- Can't get enough outside lockers - BBQ, chairs, tables, etc

- Front load washer

- Diesel Heater

- 1800W sine wave inverter

- Plenty of outside lights both sides & front & back (individually switched)

- Can't get enough solar panels (we have 760W)

- Queen bed

- Redundant plumbing

- External Gas bayonet

- Cupboards specifically for electrionics - set top boxes etc

Hope that helps (I'll think of something else once thi is posted).

• 1 month later...

How much higher did you go?

Do you have Inverter A/C

What is your reasoning, is it because low profile roof mount not up to the job?

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg & Judy,

We moved the TV to hang off the end of the top cupboard rather than the wall (which blocked the bench space). The pic below might help to explain better.

The tank plumbing is redundant in that the tanks aren't plumbed together - a pipe from each goes to the pump so if one tank leaks the other won't drain into it and be lost also.

post-29-1236372262_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If I had my druthers I'd rather that we had two Fantastic hatches instead of 1 Fantastic and 1 four-seasons hatch. The 4 seasons hatch leaks dust and water and insects, offers very little ventilation and, to be honest, looks ugly. I have had these in work caravans and didn't like them and must have had a complete brain-fade getting one in this van.

Cheers

Russ.

HAVAGO Posted Mar 6 2009, 11:10 AM

Do you feel the 300mm between bed and shower wall and bed and seating allows enough room to move along side of bed?

Hi Greg and Judy,

We took delivery of our new van in late February and lived in it for 3 weeks while completing medical treatment in Brisbane. We didn't find any problems with the space beside the bed in that time, just the space at the bottom when the bed was extended at night (I am 6ft 4")

Hello Greg and Judy

Our van is almost the same layout as yours. We love it. The 300mm by the bed is ample as we tend to be in front of the wardrobe getting dressed and it is a little wider there. I am a large girl and have no problem. There is just one thing I would do---have the control for the diesel heater on the wall next to the bed so that it can be turned on to warm the van before getting out of bed--That would be pure luxury!!

• 1 month later...

Greg

Had a look at your new van pictures, looks different ,wont it be a bit drafty with all them holes in it.

Rick :clown:

Greg and Judy,

The idea of asking everyone for input into your van design has helped us as well, and possibly made everyones life easier. We look forward to using some of these suggestions in our new van when we go down and sit with Stan.

Just had a great weekend with Deb and Glenn, we just happened to be passing and we met up the back of Midgimbil, what a suprise !!!! :biggrin: Always very helpful with suggestions and advice.

Laurie and Helen :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Greg & Judy bet the two of you are like kids at christmas, I WANT IT NOW!!. Deb & I are going to the show if we can get our timetables to match so we'll make sure we check out " THE HUT"

King. :thumbsup:

Hi Greg & Judy

We are supposed to be at the factory this Monday (25th).....depending on what happens with flooded roads etc.

Do hope we can meet up when we are there.

You van certainly looks like it will be the 'best dressed' at the Brisbane Show

Regards

Tony & Wendy

Hi,

At this stage I dont think so....depends what happens today at the factory. And what SWMBO says!!!!

We hope you get many years of great service & fun from your new Kedron.

Hi again,

At an internet cafe in Strathpine 11:40hrs

Been to the factory...had a look at your 'new baby'......what a beaut van, really like the bathroom....wish we had thought of 'your layout'

You have fitted it out with some very nice & practicle accessories....you will be the envy of many

Here it is 2350hrs at Brendale

We had a hiccup with the work on our van today.........so we are 'camping' here tonight, all will be well tomorrow.....I'm sure.

Greg your van looked so comfortable that.....so we are staying in it tonight....testing the mattress....sooooooo cumfy

CU down the road

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Greg & Judy after checking out the van (VERY IMPRESSIVE) we've come to the conclusion you may as well sell up at Miriwinni due to the fact you'll never be home!!. One thing for sure you'll always be seen in the dark. You have both done a great job designing THE HUT , see you at Sandy Creek.

King. :thumbsup:

Greg,Judy, well, the van is at least 6 hours old, we hope you will be served with fabulous times,safe travelling, able to enjoy the Kedron experience like a lot of us.

Brian, Lis.

• 2 weeks later...

Greg and Judy,

I have just been looking through the responses and it would appear that no one commented on the preference of a Heike hatch. Russ commented on the four season one. This is the only area that we haven't finalised with our van (a) two fantastic hatch's or (B) 1 fantastic and 1 Heike or ©1 fantastic and 1 four season.

How do you find your Heike regarding heat and light so far. I am pretty sure that David and Jane have one installed as well so it will be interesting to see what response come back.

regards :thumbsup:

Hi Laurie & Helen,

We have the Heike over the bed on the sloped roof section (front bed N-S layout, centre kitchen) and fantastic hatch over the rear area.

We are pleased with the Heike over the bed and haven't had any water leaks, but we did get a lot of dust in there during one leg on the Savannah Way last year. There was no seal between the perspex hatch and the frame and a wide gap but it is lapped so rain won't get in. We have since sealed it with a neoprene seal and no problems.

The fantastic hatch is good too (I can't say fantastic, can I?). We often leave it up a little on hot days and leave the fan running on low and when we return to the van it's not stuffy and hot from being locked up.

A lot of people have asked us if the Heike heats the van up and the answer is no, if you close the blind it reflects the heat well - it's the same type of blind as the Dometic windows.

And it's great for watching the stars when going off to sleep - that way we can pretend we're camping :shades: and you can stick your head out to inspect the roof (I have climbed thru it) and to fold the Next-G aerial up.

I have heard of a number of people with dust issues with the 4 seasons hatch as it has thin tin flaps that don't seal up properly, but we have never had one ourselves.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the comments sounds like a pretty easy decision, may just have to move it as we were originally planning to put it over the kitchen area.

I will attach a copy of the plan as we have it at the moment. The specifications need to be changed as these are still showing some ATV equipment which will be sorted next time we sit down with Stan.

• 1 month later...

Although this thread is getting a little long in the tooth, I guess keeping it going is a good thing for prospective Kedron builders (and I do personally know at least one....)

We've had the van for almost 9 months now and we've been across to WA and back to Queensland via both good roads and bad. It has given us time to think about things and we now have a small list of things that we would change if we could do it all over again.

1) extend the rear bar and have all batteries mounted in a weatherproof box down the back.

2) insist on much heavier duty DC wiring for everything

3) two separately fed 12 Volt outlets at the dining table. (We both use laptops on 12V as well as many other 12V appliances.)

4) two Fantastic hatches rather than 1 Fantastic hatch and 1 Four seasons hatch

5) Additional insulation in the 'fridge cavity. I've done this now and it was a pain to fit....but well worth it.

6) a 12V light on the front and rear ends of the van, not just the sides.

7) Hot Water System mounted under the sink, not under the 'fridge as it is now.

8) Better quality speakers for the stereo unit

9) Bigger water tanks, say 100L each.

10) Tow hitch mounted on the underside of the "A" frame so that the van rides more level. (Land Rover Disco 3's are not allowed to have level-rides fitted).

11) any kind of windows that don't let bugs in. These dometic uppendownsy blind/flyscreen thingies are useless.

12) Battery charger mounted in a cupboard somewhere down the back, not in the front box, right under the bed head. The fan noise is clearly heard on quiet nights.

And lastly, something from left-field. A roll-out awning on both sides. Sometimes you can't park and have the Sun where you'd like it. It would be easier to shade the 'fridge too!

Cheers

Russ