Radio Coming On Of Own Accord

Wayne and Cheryl Byrne

Has anyone any ideas as to why our radio/cd player should come on of its own accord? We spent a couple of weeks sleeping in our van at home (son called it the out-suite) while all the family were home over Christmas and noticed the radio on several times (standby mode only), it happened with 240 power connected and with no power connected. Just noticed it on again after putting some gear in fridge (the only thing operating) to go away for the long weekend :question:

Hi,

I have had same issue if the electrics shut down - ie the batteries run too low. Say the fridge runs batteries below 11.4 V or 30 something %, the system shuts down/turns off. When it turns back on, (fridge turned off, or solar re-charges batteries), the radio/CD player comes back on in stand by mode. Has happened to me in middle of the night - light comes on down the end of the van :confused1: . I am about to upgrade the solar/battery system to make sure I have enough power to keep the fridge (230L compressor) going - I think I have probably killed the 2 x 120amp hour batteries by running them down too much :sad: .

Cheers

jeff

Wayne & Cheryl, :helpsmilie:

We had a similar problem with our Topender. Turned out that the Solar Charger was to small for the amount of current that the solar panels were trying to charge the battery's. It was shutting down when it reached 30 amps. Problem was solved by changing to a PL 40 solar meter. We've had no problems since. I hope this my led you in the right direction.

Regards.

Kingy :thumbsup:

Yep, in a nutshell, many of these radios will turn on in standby mode when power is reconnected, after having been disonnected for any reason - eg batteries run down, load disconnected (either deliberately or automatically by the regulator when low-volts threshold reached), dirty fuse contacts, loose connector, etc.

If you mainly notice it first thing in the morning, then low batteries are most likely cause due to discharge overnight, although if it's happened with 240V connected, then you also need to make sure your AC charger is switched on and working. If you're not sure about that last bit, talk to someone who knows caravan electrics, as there are up to 4 switches under that front panel that do all kinds of interesting stuff (with labels such as "car", "auxiliary", "transformer", "charger", etc), and my experience is that a lot of Koggers don't really understand what they all do!