Insurance company help please

:helpsmilie: We finally pickup our Top Ender on 30th - sooooooo exciting. As newcomers arriving in Australia next week to start our adventures we would very much appreciate any suggestions/tips regarding insurance for our Top Ender and the 100 series Landcruiser which we will also pick up next week. Don't know where to start really - which company etc. etc. Any help would be great PLEASE. Thanks in anticipation.

Both our van and vehicle are insured with NRMA as is our house, contents etc. etc. Had a couple of small claims and never had any problems at all. Very quick and easy to deal with.

Some others may recommend CIL for the van, but I have not personally had any dealings with them.

Hi,

I shopped around, the best deal I could get with the van was with Apia (www.apia.com.au) the price from apia was far less than the multi policy price I was offered by the NRMA. The NRMA had the best price for the Landcruiser. Policy pricing I believe, depends a lot on your postcode (residential address) Shop around & you will save a few dollars, unfortunately you never get to find out how good the company is until you have to make a claim!

Enjoy your new van.

CU down the road

Our tow vehicle and Van are insured with RACQ, very competetive rates and good service if you unfortunately have to claim.

Please make sure you read policy wordings no matter who the insurer is to see what you are or are not covered for and make sure all your extras are noted and included.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Be careful with RACQ as i was about to change to them and when I read the fine print , for caravans even though you pay a premium for an Agreed value they pay out the agreed or market value - whichever is less.

Cheers

Darryl

Hi kereru,

Welcome to the group.

We have the car insured with RACQ - they were far cheaper than anything else I could find, including the NRMA.

RACQ didn't want to touch the van (TE) - they said it was above what they would cover, but it seems others have - go figure. I also tried AAMI who said the same thing. So we are with CIL. They are expensive compared to the car insurance (about double dollar for dollar of insured value - doesn't make a lot of sense as I would have thought the car was a higher risk) but I haven't heard of anyone having any problems making claims - haven't had cause ourselves.

Enjoy the van and touring - you'll put a lot of kms on that 'cruiser!

Which country are you from and what is/are your name(s)?

G`day Kereru

Welcome to OZ you will have a ball.

Our 100 series is insured with NRMA, used to be with Racq. but they did not want want know about us once we fitted Larger exhaust despite 20 years of no claim driving.(stuff em!!) Our van is with CIL they have been good with a couple of minor claims as long you have plenty of photos.

We are on the road full time may catch up one day.

Regards

Rick & Lea

Hi Kereru

We have house, 2 cars and our van with RACQ. We were members of a 4wd club and RACQ was the only company to cover us while 4wding on designated tracks in 4wd Parks and forestry areas and there was never an issue with them when claiming on mishaps while 4wding.

We also wrote off our first Kedron caravan on the Mereenie Loop, West McDonald Ranges near Alice Springs - not a Kedron issue - and we could not have asked for better service. We also have Ultra Care with RACQ, so between the two of them, what could have been a disaster turned out to be a memorable experience with us being able to continue our holiday minus van, but well looked after. They paid for 7 days accommodation as well and phoned us daily to see if they could assist us further.

They paid and organised for the transport of our van back to Brisbane for assessment by Kedron as no-one else could give an accurate estimate. Kedron wrote it off and advised a suitable payout figure, which was paid by RACQ promptly and without hassle.

We also have a friend who had a serious heart attack while in South Australia in a remote location. After several weeks of treatment in Adelaide, RACQ offered to fly him and his wife back to Brisbane and truck their van and car back at no cost to them. They were very happy with the service they received.

We have an agreed value policy with RACQ for our 9 year old Landcruiser that has $30,000 worth of modifications on it and RACQ has never hesitated to provide cover or payout on several claims we have made.

Enjoy OZ and your new van. :thumbsup:

Cheers Glen & Debbie.

Gday

We are with CIL and have just made a claim, it went pretty smooth but their communication with the repairer is not real good but repairs were made in the end. The last renewal we noticed the value of the van has decreased and is supposed to be agreed so have to chase that up next renewal