Van and hitch/coupling/wheel security

CCC

:helpsmilie: I would like to hear from Kedron owners about how they deal with securing their caravan when disconnected from the tow vehicle. As well as how people may secure their tow bar and attached ball on their vehicle and perhaps the security of the van wheels.

A number of caravanners on other forums have spoken about bad experiences with various types of theft and I would like to prevent this from happening with our T/E if possible.

Thanks

Reg

Hi Reg,

I could think of nothing worse than returning to camp to find your much loved Kedron gone. I have heard stories of vans even being stolen from the front yard.

I guess it goes without saying that you should have good insurance cover, however we have also added the security of a large padlock to the hyland hitch (see pic below). If you can include the chains into this lock up as well that would be great as vans have been known to be dragged away by the chains, although I think a Kedron would be a little too heavy for this and the thief, seeing the padlock, might look elsewhere for a lighter, softer target.

You could always slap on a wheel clamp, as this would certainly deter the "opportunist".

post-1-1242192890_thumb.jpg

Hey CCC,

Purchase an "ARC" type hitch lock on the weekend and quickly learnt that it will not fit the hyland hitch. Got a refund. Still looking for a solution to the hitch lock. I will try Webby's reccomendation of locking the chains to the hitch and see how we go.

I am also going to purchase a lockable hitch pin as well as I have read that people will steal the hitch unit. The Hayman Reese unit looks good.

Any other suggestions would be great.

post-494-1242196444_thumb.jpg

Hi,

We use the lockable pin through the towbar hitch, H/duty padlock on the hyland and we had a set of individual chains for the two spares. These chains were covered with old bicycle tube to stop vibration and rattle (suppose you don't hear the rattle up front but stopped any undue wear and tear). :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I have found a pin/key/lock like the Reece ( called Talon) and I have a tow ball 3.5t rating with a hole drilled for a lock where it is bolted onto the towbar.

I have heard where the lock on the actual hyland hitch has been snapped off and am wondering about the ball type lock inserted into the hylandhitch coupling?

I am also looking at whether the wheel locknut for a VN commodore recently produced by Speco may fit all wheels. This could secure all 6 wheels and alleviate the need for a chain.

your feedback is appreciated as we are due to pick up our T/E in a month and want to be prepared as much as possible.

Hi CCC,

Locks are made only to keep honest people out.....little worried about the neighbourhood you live in

(I hope I havent jinxed myself saying this) :confused:

Has anyone spoken to the people at Hyland couplings re the possbility of drilling an 8 or 10mm hole in the side of the female socket of the coupling so you could insert a suitable padlock through the hole so as to prevent the coupling being fitted to a towball....positioning of this hole would have to be pretty spot on so as not to weaken the coupling....just a thought

Hi CCC,

I spent $20 approx and purchased a lockable towball as well as a I made a chain covered with a bicycle tube over over it so as not to scratch any paintwork and the I lock one van wheel to the trailer arm. Also,I don't think it's a matter of where you live or where you travel too in this day and age, It's just better to be safe than sorry. There's alot of value in our prized possession and we just wouldn't like to loose it.

Regards,

Kingy.

P.S I purchased the lockable tow ball from CAMEC from memory. Ihope this may have help you.

Tony,

As Kingy suggested it's not where we live it's piece of mind. The chains on the spares on our van are primarily in place as a back up in case the nuts holding them on were to come loose (if I didn't or forget to check them regularly). :thumbsup:

safe miles and plenty of smiles

Laurie

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Reg we have just bought a topender and picked it up 1/11/10 .I was concerned about securing my spare wheels to the back of our van I tried chaining them down ,but then the tyre cover would not go around the tyres . so my mine went in to overdrive constantly thinking of how to secure the wheels to the van . so I came up with an idea so I went out and bought 2 wheel studs and nut to suit my van.What I done was grindered back the rounded sides of the studs to suit the wheel nut to 21mm then I put the stud thru the mag and grinder a flat side on the stud drilled a small hole to suit a small padlock and secured the mag to the van . the padlock is out of site and can't be seen unit you put your head between the back of the van and the spare wheels . hope this helps it's neat and tidy :laugh: :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

When I replaced the Hyland with a DO35 on the ATV, I also purchased the lock designed for it and while no lock is impregnable if somebody puts their mind or angle grinder to it, the DO35 lock is certainly daunting.

With spares and the hitch on the vehicle, where do you start and stop? I don't leave the hitch on the vehicle when unhooked and the spares have locked chains on them.

Bas