Copeton Dam

Guest justmyage

Guest justmyage

Hi all we are travelling to Bingara for 2 weeks around easter and we were wondering if anyone has been there recently . Jeff &Vicki I noticed your great pics of the area can you give us any info on the area please. We have discovered that there is an annual fishing comp on the easter weekend but no details exactly were it is to be held .Geoff reckons it doesnt matter he will find it :smile: Cheers Lesley & geoff

Hi Lesley and Geoff

There is a GREAT free camp on the river about 12 Klms from Bingara, turn of between the 2 bridges and head towards Inverell you cant miss the Gwyder river camps but at easter I reckon will be very popular :smile:

Lesley & Geoff,

We were in Bingara mid October - with the flies!! Would have to say there is not a lot in town, but it is a tidy clean place. A good IGA, a lovely old restored picture theatre that runs once in a while, a good lookout over town. Watch the narrow bridge approach from the north side of town.

We camped right on the Gwydir River at "Gwydir River Camps" 8k east of Bingara via Keera Road (No. 333 in Camps 4). Excellent large spot, we were told that the camp can get rowdy on week-ends - we saw a Police car patrolling once - it would be popular at Easter. About another 2 k up river from 333 there is a property owner who lets you on to her river front for a donation to the Westpac Rescue Helicopter Service. There was a fair flow in the river as water was being let out of Copeton Dam.

Don't miss the pamplet from Big "i" on the five driveable "Bird Trips". We did No. 1 south of Bingara, which took us three hours through some interesting old areas. History of gold mining along this route and there is still a working mine.

Grahame & Wendy Roberts

19' ATV # 792

100 Series Landcruiser

Guest justmyage

Hi Kimbo

Thanks for the info on the Free camping sites. We planning on getting there the week before easter just to be sure of a site, as we also think it may be quiet busy at that time. :biggrin:

Cheers Lesley & Geoff

Hi Lesley and Geoff,

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately we didn't visit Bingara - just spent the night at Copeton dam - on our way back home and had run out of time. The dam has lots of different areas to stay - cabins with powered sites in one spot, powered sites on their own further in, (where we stayed) and anywhere else you want to free camp. I was surprised how big an area it is, and how big the dam is. Lots of camping space at the moment with water level down to 12% - less water, more ground!!

It is a State park, so you pay to go in and then to camp - it was $18 for the night for the powered site. Lots of facilities there, including a pretty impressive water slide park.

We were there end of November - also got carried away by flies. Had plenty of bushman's on, but that dodn't seem to deter them too much.

Also - the tourist info centre at Inverell is a beauty - one of the largest I have seen.

Jeff