Gibb River Rd

Kimbo

Hi everyone

Ned and I are leaving to do the length of the Gibb river rd in the morning with the Topender in tow been looking forward to this for so long.

I will report in when I can with how things are going but I'm not really sure when that will be maybe 10 days or longer

Rd conditions are spose to be Ok but we are getting conflicting information

See yas all in me dust trail :thumbsup:

If anyone is in the area doing the same thing keep an eye out for a white 200 cruiser boat on top and brown Topender giv e us a call on ch 40

Regards

I want a full trip report when you get back Kimbo. With photos.

Chris

Hi Paul ans Sheryl here in Derby for another day. White Landcruiser 100 and Cross Country which was White now a orange colour , we will keep our eyes open for you. WE travelled from Logan ,Roma ,Townsville, out along the Gregory Developement Road to the Lynd Junction across to Einasleigh, Forsayth,Georgetown on to Normanton ,Kurumba, Savannah Way to Burketown, Doomadgee,Hells gate, Borroloola,Cape Crawford, to Daly Waters Katherine Darwin.Victoria Highway Kununurra, Turkey Creek, Fitzroy Crossing Turning in to The Tunnels and Windjania Gorge to Derby. So Far our Van is Travelling Well other than too much RED DUST inside. Hope to see you on the Track Cheers :smile:

Well we made it currently in Derby with a very dirty car and Van will do a small report when time permits trying to catch up on all the shopping and SUPPLIES (Mine) and report in to the family LOL as if they care :shades:

Brian can you ring me?? have lost your ph no for some reason got your messages

Regards

Great to see you back from the wilds! I hope you took lots of photos. What was your favourite part of the Gibb?

Chris

Plenty pics taken thats for sure Manning gorge would have to be the favourite the swim across river with everything in the polystyrine box expensive camera as well, falling of the rock ledge me box floating down the river me $300 glasses sittin on the rock in about 9 ft of water (Ned rescued them)then the 1 1/2 hr walk to the falls pure magic sitting and swimming the waterfall then the walk back 1 1/2 hrs rock climbing then the swim back across the river with me polystyrene box firmly in my grasp and then the beers pure magic around the fire that night LOl went to sleep :laugh:

Now we are in Broome hoping to get cleaned up but these van parks all know how dirty they get so no washing cars or vans :sad:

regards

Hi All just a short note to let you all know that the rd from Kunnunurra isnt that bad all the way to Derby.

You need to be carefull at some of the creek xings and also very cautious of them tourist in the Britz troopies they bloody idiots some off them.

The rd to Kalumbaru was very badly corrogated when we tried and we actually turned around after 20 k or so and will do it another

time but unknowingly to us at the time the grader was working not far ahead of where we turned around.

Oh well no dramas just means will have to do that section another time I Guess.

We did the El Questro and camped in one of the private campsites by the river it was nice 3 days

After El Questro we Drove into Home Vally Stn for a look as we had heard it was very nice and the reports were correct nice bar

and swimming pool but only being 30 odd k's from el questro we moved on

The pentecost was an easy drive across really next stop being Ellenbrae stn (now open for tourist) for a couple of nights the stn managers make a really

nice Scone and cream Jam + a cuppa the camping area was nice as well with a real bush BATHTUB with a nice outlook

We arrived at the Kalumbaru intersection stopping at the information Board and were informed by 2 couples as to how rough the rd was

so we took the advice on board and thought we would give it a try after 20klms at 10k an hr I thought we would turn around and save

this section for another time. We were told later by another Kedron owner we met with at Mt Barnett that if we had of kept going on the Kalumbaru rd

we would have struck the grader oh well thems the breaks.

Manning gorge was spectacular with a swim at the beginning at the gorge and a swim at the end, swim at the end really looked forward too I can assure you.

Take some lunch to eat at the gorge we spent 2 hrs there approx.Camped 2 days.

Bell Gorge has only the main camping area at silent grove open now "No Camping at the riverside camps"

Mt Hart wilderness lodge was the next visit for a few days and it was quite nice there 50klms north of the Gibb rd

The rd to Windjanna Gorge was badly corrugated in places but was really worth the visit and as Bell gorge and a few of the others I

suggest early arrivals to get better spots as it gets really busy

Comming back onto the tar after all the dirt of Gibb we saw a Kedron heading the opposite direction but pulled up on the side of the rd

lowering tire pressures a beep of the horn a wave and next on UHF Kimbo is that you it was Russnsue from the kedron owners group so a U turn

and back we went for a quick chat and passing on of info.

We are currently in Broome for a few days of cleaning and restocking

sorry such a poor report but I lost most of trip reports when the old lappy died and now Im on a new lappy with very little in the way of programs

and Im TRYING to get use to this new vista as well

Regards

Kimbo and Ned

The best I can do at the moment :helpsmilie:

Also beware of pushy riders along the Gibb we passed about 3/4 couples peddling the bikes they either mad or just unaware of what was ahead.

We will be leaving Broome tomorrow heading to Middle lagoon for some R&R :thumbsup: will let all know what the rds like up that way.

Regards

Thanks John

Sadly I think a lot of places will go this way up this way in the next few yrs

Cost wise at the moment it is very expensive in my opinion for trips and to just camp, but whilst tourism is the key word and people are PAYING nothing is stopping the locals charging what ever they like.

Just my opinion

Regards