ATV Wheel Alignment

Does anyone have any advice/knowledge/suggestions about checking/adjusting the wheel alignment on a twin axle ATV with Cruisemaster leaf suspension? After 28K (at least a third off road, last month to Nhulunbuy and return) we find the inside edge of two tyres scrubbing out, one very badly. Should have rotated them but didn't till last week! Overall tyres are in good condition except the inside edge. We are aware that with the axles close together there will be scrubbing while cornering, but one really bad wheel suggests a possible alignment problem.

Robert & Jane

David and Jane.

We have been on the road for two years now and are currently at Corroboree Park about 100Km east of Darwin. The barra fishing is good.

We are new at forums and need to master searching. Thank you for the link you provided, it was informative, but the company mentioned are not in the NT.

The following may help someone. I have spoken with Vehicle Components who I have found most helpful, very good service.

They advise; Remove wheels and use a straight edge on the hubs to align to chassis rails. Probably need a straight edge horizontally on the hub and another vertically on the chassis rail and measure the gap. The front wheels can have a little toe-in (1 or 2 mm), can help tracking. The rear wheels should be straight. As far as they are aware Kedron uses this method while the suspension is upside down on the factory floor. I am going to follow this up with Kedron and will advise if any further information is forthcoming.

Vehicle Components emphasised the importance of torquing up all bolts to specification, see attachment. They said that older styles required the bolts to be backed off a little to allow movement, but they use a bush over the bolt inside the poly bush, and should be clamped up tight.

Greasing (nipples) should be done (important) regularly to force out any dust that has penetrated. Also at some point (maybe two years, depends on use) the suspension should be disassembled for a complete going over, and reassembled with a light smear of good quality (wheel bearing) grease on all pivoting surfaces.

We also discussed brakes (Dexter), I’ll post this separately, it may be of interest to someone.

Thanks again

Robert & Jane

33I_032___BOLT___NUT_TORQUE_SETTINGS_Rev6.pdf

• 2 years later...

Hi Bryan, there have been some complicating factors, including an error in Vehicle Components drawings. We are currently visting Vic and will reply in more detail when we return to QLD in about a week

Robert Jones

Hi Bryan,

When I first attacked the wheel alignment problem we were on the road full time but have since settled between Bris and the Sunshine Coast. The van had done 50K, much off-road, so after fitting new tyres, bushes, pins and wheel bearings I decided to take the van into Vehicle Components and have them do an alignment. It took a few hours and cost a little over $200. I learnt much, the first thing was they commented that the A Frame Hinge bolts were not tight enough. I explained I had torqued to 105 lbf.ft as per their drawing. They said this was an error and should have read 150 lbf.ft, same as the Rocker Centre bolts. They also said the camber was significantly out and fitted offset bushes to correct it; the new bushes I had fitted were thrown away. My understanding is that the current models are adjustable. All in all I think it was money well spent. From what I learnt, if I purchased a new van I would have the alignment checked first up.

I will attach my file again, but it will still have the error I referred to above. My suggestion is that you email Vehicle Components and ask them to email you one. I looked on their website but could not find it. I did find some info on wheel alignments, http://www.vehiclecomponents.com.au/images/CIS_20_-_Cruisemaster_Camber_and_Toe-In_Adjuster.pdf.

I don’t know where you are located, but another option in the greater Bris region is John Jamieson (0431109175). He is an ex Vehicle Components employee who now does mobile servicing, I first met him at the Kedron factory where he was doing some work, but note, I have not used him.

Hope this helps….Robert Jones

33I 032 - BOLT & NUT TORQUE SETTINGS Rev6.pdf

Toe & Camber Adjustment.pdf

Hello All,

I have had a need for a wheel alignment on the TE three times in the 50,000 km it has travelled. Cairns does not, to my knowledge, have a suitable place and Vehicle Components in BNE is a long way away. Anyhow, I found a greast business in Townsville called Big Wheels. They are a national organization. Their reason for being is to do wheel alignments on big trucks and trailers. I think they enjoy working on the van as it is a bit different to their normal work. They have done a great job for me and I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Regards

Colin

Does anyone have any advice/knowledge/suggestions about checking/adjusting the wheel alignment on a twin axle ATV with Cruisemaster leaf suspension? After 28K (at least a third off road, last month to Nhulunbuy and return) we find the inside edge of two tyres scrubbing out, one very badly. Should have rotated them but didn't till last week! Overall tyres are in good condition except the inside edge. We are aware that with the axles close together there will be scrubbing while cornering, but one really bad wheel suggests a possible alignment problem.

Hi Robert I was reading your commence and noticed that you have traveled into Nhulunbuy. We are looking at going in there in july August. My daughter is teaching in at Gapuwiyak about 230km west of Nhulunbuy. Did you take your van with you and what are the road condition like river crossing [ect]. Who do I need to contact for a travel permitt and what is the time frame that it takes to get across to Gove

Hi Robertand Jane I was reading your commence and noticed that you have travelled into Nhulunbuy. We are looking at going in there in July August. My daughter is teaching in at Gapuwiyak about 230km west of Nhulunbuy. Did you take your van with you and what are the road condition like river crossing [ect]. Who do I need to contact for a travel permit and what is the time frame that it takes to get across to Gove.Thanks Richard and Celeste

Hello all,

Our Top Ender in going in for a wheel alignment tomorrow morning .

One tyre has really worn off on the inside not happy :(

A local body bulding company "Evertrans" here in Albany W.A is going to do this.

They are experienced using the laser method and work on many caravans so here's hoping they will fix it. :rolleyes:

Let you all know how it goes,always good to know where to have repairs done when on the road.

John

Hi Richard and Celeste. In answer to your query, yes, we went to Nhulunbuy in June 2009 to visit Jane’s son, and three grandchildren. It was about 700k from Katherine, and 600k of gravel road. There is a road across the top but we understand it is rugged. We got a permit from the Northern Land Council (NLC) in Katherine which cost nothing (surprise) and was good for one day; we took that to mean 24 hrs and spent one night camped on the track. The permit was to travel the road only, no permit was required for the Nhulunbuy lease area but other areas do require a separate permit, your daughter should be able to advise you on this.

When applying for the permit we did not tell them we were taking a caravan but saw a notice in the office that vans were not allowed on the track. We were not sure if that meant vans were forbidden or just that the road was not suitable. Often we have come across advice not to take a van over a particular road which would be correct if one was towing a Jayco. So we played it cool and went to the Katherine Visitors Centre who rang the police. They said they did not know and suggested ringing one of the communities on the road. We did and were told no problem, so we went. The day we were to drive back the garage had run out of fuel so we had to wait half a day till the barge from Darwin arrived with fuel. While waiting we were approached by someone from the NLC who questioned us saying vans were not allowed. Apparently they don’t want people camping in the area, we told them we had stayed with Jane’s son. We told them we had a permit and permission from the community, they said don’t do it again.

Watch the fuel situation. Our average speed was 60 to 80 kph, high fuel consumption. We filled both tanks in our 100 series Cruiser, took two jerry cans and a five litre container. We ran each tank down till the engine started to splutter, used the spare supplies, and just made it with the warning light flashing.

The road was not good, but we have been on worse. It depends on the weather and if it has been graded. We did suffer damage on the return trip, a broken rear window in the Cruiser and smashed steps on the van as well as some dust intrusion, which is another story in itself. The crossings were not real bad, the worst was the Goyder, see photo, fairly easy really, but of course it depends on the amount of rain.

For one of our more difficult crossing in the gulf country see the following link.
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzN21B-AALA&feature=player_embedded

While in Nhulunbuy we made inquiries about catching the barge (Perkins Shipping) back, but the cost was prohibitive.

Hope this helps

Robert & Jane Jones

post-112-0-92283900-1330897556_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-92283900-1330897556_thumb.jpg