New Landcruiser V8

D and S Casey

:question:

Hi everyone just wondering if any of our KOG members have the new V8 cruiser.

We took delivery of ours in July, and I have just been informed by a chap who has a lot to do with the V8 cruisers that are running around the Mines down here in Western NSW, that to be aware of the Air Box which holds the Air Filter been forced out of shape when hot which allows un-filtered Air to get around the air filter into the Turbo & Engine. The Air Box is made of Plastic and gets out of shape when the vehicle is working hard and the box becomes distorted due to the heat and the motor & turbo trying to suck in as much air as it can.

He claims The Air Box should be made of metal. To prevent any distortation.

I've been advised to allways check the Air Box and lift the filter out to check for any traces of un-filtered air going into the main Air Way

Apart from that everything's going fine our Van is a 20' XC No 600 & is our Home while we Travell & Work around Australia

Hi ???

sorry but you didnt leave a sig with your name

Was just wondering how you took delivery of the V8 turbo landcruiser in July ??? they wernt released for sale till late November as I thought ?

Or are you talking about the 100 series V8 petrol ?

Mmmmm thanks Brian Never even give them a thought really was only thinking of the 200 series

:thumbsup: :smile:

Hi David

No problems you can actually go to the My controls top right and click on that then look on the left side of that page look for Edit signature put what ever info you wish there and you signature automatically goes into any messsage you send see the bottom om message here

Ahhhh----- Thanks Kimbo I hope I got it right this time

Interesting stuff ya find out when ya buy a new Towie, I spoke to the Toyota people here as our car had it's first service, all they said was they haven't been told anthying from head office, how ever they did say it's possible ( the air box ) could be a problem, due to the heat in the engine bay, even the fuel lines run through cooling chambers

I notice on the 200 series the air box is twice the size of the 70 series, & plastic, yet there the same V8 motors, with different turbos, 70 series one big turbo, the 200 with 2 smaller turbos.

Hi David

I actually would be very interested in your opinion as to what the 70 series is like as a towing vehicle I have been thinking about a ute and decking the back out to suit my needs.

BUT I do like the sound of twin turbo V8 thou as well

Hi Kimbo yes We're eagily awating for the opportunity to try out the V8 Towing. We haven't had the chance yet as due to my work commitments here in Dubbo.

When we took delivery of the car it was just a quick trip home to Brizzie without the Van to change over cars then back down here to have it fitted out with all the extras. It does go like a scalded cat. Our previous car was a troopy 4.2 Turbo & this new one has heaps more power.

We're taking the Van home for the Chrissie break so will see what it's like towing the van then & I'll let ya know

The work I'm involved in is working around westeren NSW with the Rail Corporation they have some new V8's plus I get to mix with the mine people through the rail business & the mines have the V8's

And as you can imagine the blokes that drive there vehicles Drive them like ther Stolen. So I look forward to any Info I can get from these blokes regarding the V8

• 1 month later...

:thumbsup: Hi-ya Kimbo and fellow KOG members. We have just returned from our first trip of pulling the van with the new cruiser and I must say we got a few surprises.

On the trip north to Brizzie our economy was 21lt's per 100k's that's with the air-con going and sitting on 95 to 100 k's. Running around Brizzie without the van we got 13lt's per 100k's, also while home I did some investigating into the air box problem with this series. I did away with the factory fitted air-trap on top of the snorkel and replaced it with a safari air ram.

On our return south we travelled via Cunningham's Gap, pushing a horrendous head wind all the way, with air-con going and sitting on 95 to 100-k's and got 19lts per 100k's. I really don't know if that's good or not as I didn't take any notice of our fuel usage with the previous car. However this new one is a lot easer to tow with simply due to the increase in power, it's nice to know when your towing that you've got a lot more grunt available to you if needed.

Hi David

Thanks for the feedback re the V8 and I would expect those figures to get better as a few KLMs are added to the motor and it frees up a bit.

I have finally had a drive of both single turboed v8 as well as the twin turbo and my impressions so far are a wow for the twin :thumbsup: