Telstra special offer

carlsp1000

For those of us into the internet. Telstra have a offer at the moment that might interest some. We stumbled accross it last week. It is a 7.2 wireless broadband home gateway.

Prior to this, my wife and I both had wireless internet accounts. One with the big T and the other with the big O. Now we only need one as both of us can use this gateway at the same time. We save one account.

Basically it turns your caravan into a wireless hotspot. You can sit either inside your van or outside under the awning and be on the internet. We link this to our telstra next G antenna on the roof of the van for great range when out in the bush.

It costs $299 but there is a $299 rebate happening at the moment so it is basically free. There is also a half price offer on plans as well. We are on a 10 Gig plan which is around $60 per month. If you find this too much there are other plans and you can change plans as well. Hope this helps. Sorry last thing don't go to a Telstra store as they are hopeless. Try WOW or JB high fi.

As far as I am aware the rebate for the wireless Home Gateway is $200: http://bigpond.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bigpon...p?p_faqid=14120 and is only available if you sign up for a plan. I have purchased a Netcomm 3G18Wn: http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/3g/3g18wn which is about $175.00 on line. This gives you wireless access by allowing you to use either the 7.2 or 21 USB cards via a USB slot, and also has WAN and LAN ports for xDSL/Cable/Satellite internet. You can then still use your USB card in your computer independent of that device (eg: in the car). Both USB devices also accept a patch lead from an external aerial

• 2 weeks later...

Bigpond tell me that the gateway is indeed free - for new accounts only (along with the 12 month half price thing). You can't get it when upgrading an existing broadband account.

I suggested to them that I could simply close my existing account and reapply as a new customer and get the good deal. They said sure, go right ahead, but kiss all your exising associated email addresses goodbye!

So, in summary, if you're looking at becoming a new Bigpond broadband customer, then this is a good way to go. Otherwise, see previous post re Netcomm box.