5th gear or 4th towing?

CCC

:confused1: We have a T/E and are pulling it with a '02 turbo deisel toyota troopie style manual 4wd.

Prior to p/up of the T/E from Kedron several changes were made to assist power (larger exhaust etc). We travelled back to the edge of the Kimberley (back to work) and most of the time travelled in 5th. The 4wd seemed to tow easily along the flat sealed roads. Fuel consumption was around 5.9km per litre at 85-90km cruise control. Very little head wind.

Sometimes we changed down to 4th, if there was any sign of extra horsepower needed up inclines or the rare time we passed something (like a pushbike). But, mainly the travel was flat and we also had very little extra weight.

When we leave our work place soon it will be loaded for long term travel. We will be travelling hopefullyat 80-85km.

There are people (including mechanics, grey nomads) who have advised travel only in 4th as the 5th gear is very small and the stress on it towing a large weight would shatter the gear and therefore gearbox and some say they have used 5th gear as normal, no problems, so long as the vehicle is not labouring (climbing hills etc).

I am not sure what to do. The rpm's certainly impact on engine and consumption, but the gearbox is to be treated with t.l.c.

Any feedback would be very helpful.

thanks

Reg and Fran

Hi Reg & Fran,

I'm not sure if this helps much but with my 200, I just stick it in drive and go. It uses 5th a lot. Heaps of grunt and if it needs a lower gear it will find it - auto, of course.

With my 100 V8 Petrol, I used 5th when on the open road without any problems.

I tend to tow at the sign posted sped limit as I actually use more fuel doing 80 then I do at 95-100 as the 200 doesn't find the next gear.

Hi Reg and Fran

I drive 100 series t/deisel auto & find if I leave it in D and drive at 95-100k it tends to stav locked in 5th gear and uses (slightly) less fuel than travelling at 85-90k were it will keep shifting back to 4th.

Our van is 19.6int ATV and is right at top weight 3.5t

cheers Lionel

Hi Reg and Fran...('got your email),

Truckies from my 1980/90's working past used to warn me against towing in highest gear...that was then...

When Ben at the Brendale factory took me round the block to set the brakes, he had my LC200 (auto) in manual 4th, and suggested using this gear around town, but otherwise cruising in auto on the open road. On the other hand, Toyota's service manager in Brisbane uses auto even around town when towing his Kedron, and swears this is intended for the 200series.

The much-caravanned leader of our Towed course also suggested (as per previous posts) using the auto/higher gears everywhere if not under stress, and also recommended cruising around the posted limit. He pointed out that the shifting revs load around 80kph was far greater than that when cruising around 90-100.

Happy travels! :thumbsup:

Steve.

Drive or 4th has been the topic of conversation and disagreement between a number of parties. Our 100 series auto has now done 65K of which 28K was towing our ATV. Initially we used 4th, but after awhile started using drive on the open road and recorded a significant economy improvement. Some time ago we noticed that when in drive (at say 90kph) a slight depression of the accelerator caused the revs to climb about 300/400rpm but not drop back to 4th. If the lever was pushed across, 4th engaged and the revs climbed further. We were concerned that the initial rev rise was related to a slipping torque converter. We raised this with the Darwin Toyota dealer at the 60K service and asked them to check the transmission oil, which they found to be severely burnt. They advised that ‘drive’ should not be used when towing, but our Owner’s Manual clearly states “…in the “D” position, the automatic transmission system will select the most suitable gear for running conditions such as normal cruising, hill climbing, hard towing etc.” The Toyota dealer was not helpful in respect to the burnt oil, saying that the only way they could advise further was to take our ATV out on the open road with a computer hooked up, and that this would be an expensive exercise. We have learnt that trying to get somewhere with a reluctant dealer is akin to a brick wall. So we are now more judicious with our use of drive, and use the lever to positively engage 4th on inclines and with head winds, and will have the oil checked regularly.

Robert and Jane Jones

G`Day Folks

We have a 2002 Manual 100 series T/Diesel,I use 5th gear once we are over 80 Kph but I always change back to 4th when the donk has to work harder. I neveruse it as a working gear. The 100 has clocked up 192000 Ks so far mostly towing.

Cheers

Rick & Lea :thumbsup:

G'day

We've towed for about 60,000 km out of the almost 100,000 kms our 2004 100 series TD has done. Our Topender is approx 3.3 t loaded. I usually tow in Drive but when uphill listen to the engine and change down to 4th just before it would if left in Drive. We've had our engine chipped plus 3" exhaust and it runs nicely at around 2000 revs doing 100 kph. I usually tow at the max advertised speed unless conditions dictate otherwise.

Also, we've just had our LC cut and stretched 300 mm with new canopy and it seems to tow even better than before.

Happy trails

Jackie

G'day

We've towed for about 50,000 km out of the almost 100,000 kms our 2004 100 series TD has done. Our Topender is approx 3.3 t loaded. I usually tow in Drive but when uphill listen to the engine and change down to 4th just before it would if left in Drive. We've had our engine chipped plus 3" exhaust and it runs nicely at around 2000 revs doing 100 kph. I usually tow at the max advertised speed unless conditions dictate otherwise.

Also, we've just had our LC cut and stretched 300 mm with new canopy and it seems to tow even better than before.

Happy trails

Jackie