total length required for tasmania trip

Ken and Marea

Hi and happy new year from Ken and marea

We are planning to go to tassie in February sometime for about 3 -4 weeks via the Spirit of Tasmania and they require, from what I can gather, a reasonably accurate measurement of our set up for a quote on the return crossing.

Could someone help please, with overall measurement ( or do I have to go out with a tape? ), we have a 2002 LC100 with bull bar as well as our Rhino roof rack with our Kedron 21ft topender (19.5 internal) with extended frame.

I have been reading about other Kedrons both in tassie and visiting in the past few months and I'm sure we will have many more questions on where to go and what to do when we have finalised our plans.

We hopefully will be spending more time in the second half of the year on the road, where we can attend some gatherings and meet more of you.

kind regards

Ken and Marea

Kedron 1014 :thumbsup:

Hi Ken and Marea,

Welcome to the Kedron family. We love Tassie and are here until 14 Feb and this is our second time with the van, after several 2 to 3 week trips flying in from Qld.

Yes, you do have to get the tape measure out. Once you know the length when hitched up, round it up to the next metre, ie our rig is 13.8 m so we had to pay for 14 m. Ask about the best deals on the Spirit. The staff in the call centre are very helpful and will work out alternative quotes for you. We like to travel with a cabin as people say the seats are very noisy and tightly spaced. If travelling in peak season, fares are dearer, but you can get a day sailing which will save the cost of the cabin.

In our opinion, if you are only bringing the van for 3 weeks, it may be cheaper to bring the car only and stay in cabins. It cost us over $1700 return this time and that is with a pension discount for 1 person and a day sailing one-way. Caravan parks here average $25 to $30 pn, but there are lots of lovely free camps especially along the east coast. Be aware that the annual CMCA rally is on in mid-March, so expect free camps to be hard won.

Please feel free to message us if you want more specific questions answered.

regards

Jackie & Tom