Will our 100 series T/D do the job?

Mrs Lynn Astill

Hi everyone.

Lynn and I are new members and hope to take possession of an 18'6" (int) Top Ender in April this year. Very exciting !!!! My question is, will our 2004 100 series T/D (with rapid chip and 3" exhaust) be able to tow the 3.5 tonne van with a 100 kg boat and loader on its roof and all the usual trimmings inside??? I assume we will be inside the carrying capacity specs for the vehicle etc. On paper, the truck is now purported to have 201KW of power, can't remember the torque figures.

Looking forward to your responses.

Kind regards

Chis

Hi Chris & Lynn

Congrats on the new baby when it arrives.

I'm sure the 100 series will be up to task of towing although it won't have the grunt of a 200 for overtaking those slower vans !!

With regards to carry spec of vehicle that's another question and difficult to keep within.

From memory the TD 100 GXL has a carrying capacity of approx 650 - 700kg which has to include things such as:

Diesel - 140kg

van ball weight say 320kg

bullbar 50kg

towbar 20kg

2 people 160kg

boat 100kg

roofrack say 20kg

all that = 810kg :confused1:

Most people also have cargo drawers say 50kg

fridge - 40kg loaded

tools , compressor, spares 40kg.

We won't even look at water tanks and other goodies you can add - I must admit, I think what a joke when I see the ads for ARB or Kaymar Cruisers with steel front & back bars, roofracks, long range tanks , drawers and a fridge -add 2 people without any camping gear or other luggage and they would probably be illegal.

Having said that - there are plenty of loaded 4WD's and cars towing or on camping trips that would be well over GVM so it's not an uncommon thing.

Cheers

Darryl

We have a 2004 TD Cruiser pulling our (fully laden) 3.2T XC with no effort at all. It has the chip, but not the 3" exhaust setup of yours.

But as Darryl says, a 200 certainly has more grunt. But if your current vehicle can do it, why spend the extra $'s.

Hi Chris

I whole heartedly agree with everything Darryl says.

I have the 200 series twin turbo diesel and have all the goodies fitted as well with also a long range tank fitted and with the boat on roof and GVMupgrade I am just within my specs and the GVM upgrade you cant get for the 100 series.

To get the GVM upgrade for the 200 it is required to upgrade the suspension which then gives the vehicle a tad under the 1 tonne mark above the tare weight carrying capacity and well worth not having the worry of being overloaded.

Some people will say that the 200 is exy well I disagree, with the prices that the 100's are bringing at the moment the 200 would be a good investment IMO.

I'm aware of a KOG owner selling their late model 100 for the 60k mark and it was a quick sale which tells me it was cheap but they were happy and are upgrading to the 200.

I didnt take the trade in price offered on my 100 but bought it home to Newcastle from Mackay where I bought the 200 and sold it for double the trade in price to the 1st looker gotta be happy with that

Darryl didnt mention roofracks,long range tanks,whinch which I have and the fact that the van towball weight should also be included into the equation to and should be considered but in all honesty not many people do worry about these factors and I have known of people who have been in accidents and the insurance has paid out but someday down the track people who have very overloaded vehicles and vans will be knocked back.

I hope this does not put you of but they are certainly factors that should be considered and I hope you enjoy caravanning experience as we do

Regards

G`Day Chris & Lynn

We have a 2003 100td with DP chip and 3inch system fitted.We tow a atv (our home) all up weight 3.3 tons.

Cruiser has longrange tank,draw system, fridge plus all the other crap that goes with travelling full time.The 100 pulls it beautifully with power to spare for overtaking.

Cheers Rick & Lea :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your replies folks. When you do the figures, it seems even the 200 series with upgraded GVM would be struggling to be legal. Makes you wonder how the Gall boys did it in the movies (legally). I really dont want to go to the F250, who would want to drive that around daily?? Starting to look like the boat might have to stay home ...............

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris & Lyn,

Our '06 100 series loaded with 3.70m dinghy, custom boat loader, rear drawer system, 3 storage boxes etc. etc. weighed in at 3160 kg's which from memory is under the vehicles tare weight (car has been upgraded to a 200 series - only because of the govt. generous investment allowance).

The car towed our 18' TE really well.

Hope this helps,

Ian

Hi all,

After exhaustive research and your very helpful advice, It seems that a 100 series with a 3.5 t van in tow can only carry 2 occupants and a bit of barwork. We just had ours weighed on a weighbridge and it was 2940 kg. That was us (170 kg), no 3rd row seats, Toyota alloy bar and spotties, ECB roofrack and a full tank of diesel ( which is included in the kerb weight of 2680kg anyway), cargo barrier and no tools.

It is apparent that a 100 series cannot have a boat on the roof if towing a van over about 2 t, and that would be without any goodies on the vehicle. A 200 series is marginally better by about 50 kg if the gvm upgrade is not done.

A 200 series with the gvm upgrade will just scrape (if careful) in with the boat and a bit of gear etc if the van is no more than about 3.3 t ...........

It seems there are a lot of illegal vehicles out there. Apparently insurance companies don't necessarily accept the fact that water tanks are empty when travelling either as they may be easy to empty after the accident..

So, not sure where to go from here, as a 200 series is a bit outside of the financial range at present.

Regards

Chris

Chris

Don`t sweat it the 100 T/D cruiser will do it comfortably.

Rick & Lea :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Artie & Marina,

No experience there but I think Jan at the Kedron yard knows a bloke who does these conversions. Might be worth a phone call....

Regards

Chris