Tyres

Tolley

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Bridgestone Dueler A/T D694 and D694LT.

I have a LC 100 towing a TE.

As a general enquiry does anyone have experience with LT tyres in general. The tougher sidewall would seem to offer advantages off-road.

Any info will be appreciated.

Colin Toll

Hi Colin,

We wouldn't go past BF Goodrich All Terrains. Been using them for years now both on the Cruiser and on the van. They performed well on a recent trip to The Cape (although they did sustain some chipping here and there, but then what tyre doing that trip wouldn't).

We went with Mangali 4WD tours and the lead car had Coopers. The comment from the driver was "don't really like Coopers and wouldn't have been my choice", but as it was a company vehicle there wasn't a lot of say.

Other people swear by Coopers.

I am sure you will find many different opinions from people on this subject.

Hi Colin,

I would be surprised if you dont get a lot of mail on this topic, tyres are always a hot topic on these types of forums.

I want to put up my hand like Sue for the BFG All Terrains, been using them now for best part of 30 years on many different vehicles (Nissans & various Toyota's) & I'm very happy with them.

Currently residing at Balgo Community in the Tanami/Great Sandy Dessert, the company supplied 79 series work ute has Bridgestone Dueler A/S 661 fitted (granted a different pattern than that you are looking at) I find that they do not handle as well as the BFG's at speed 80 to 100 kph but that could be also partly due to the stiffer upgraded suspension.

BFG's are brought into the country by Michelin & sold mainly through I think its Tyres Plus outlets. (green, white & black logo with the Michelin Man from memory)

Shop around for the best price, not long ago I purchased five new BFG's for the 200 series for $2000 with a compressor (bushranger) thrown in on the deal.

Not sure where you live but be aware of really cheap BFG's they could be 'grey imports' with no warranty when pricing the recently purchased set of tyres I got one price of $1600 for 5 tyres from a western Sydney tyre outlet only to find that they where grey imports. Genuine BFG's granted, but they didnt come into the country through Michelin....should you have a warranty claim & your at Uppercumbucta West you will be up the proverbial creek with out a paddle.... the extra $400 was cheap insurance in my mind & I got the compressor as well!

CU down the road

Thanks Webby and Tony for the comments.

The tyre topic is probably like the Cruiser/Patrol or Holden/Ford topics in terms of personal opinions. Having said that, tyres either perform or they don't and the KOG sure is a great testing forum.

I was researching 4x4 and LT tyres when I happened across the Bridgstones. Their web site has some glowing testemonials for them (and of course these would be genuine). Good tyres don't come cheap so the advice based on experience by the KOG members is invaluable.

Tony, I live in Cairns so the rig has to be happy in the dirt. At the moment it is all mud and water out there. Where you live would be a demanding testing site for tyres!

Regards

Colin

Hi Tolley,

Had Bridgstone A/ts on our Patrol For 5years and had 1 puncture and did the Gibb Road, Savannah way,Mereenie loop and the plenty of other roads including the Cape and got 70000Klms out of them.

I paid $230 each for them,and if you divide the klms by the dollars thats pretty good,also they are a slightly softer compound so handling is better and less prone to the chipping most American brands get, also you could try the new Yokohama Geolander a/t-s we have had them on our Cruiser for 35000ks and touch wood very happy.

Hope this helps as most people just believe what the ads say, and I think it is very important to rotate your tyres and keep them balanced and RUN the right tyre pressures!!!

Good luck,

Neil Gale.

We've got BF Goodrich on the LC, and are very happy with them. Of course, it doesn't matter how good your tyres are, if you are unlucky enough to pick up a nail they still go flat on the bottom :laugh:

Cheers and beers

Tom