Suburban HWS anodes

CCC

Hi all

Earlier on in the public forum there were details of Suburban magnesium anodes from a USA supplier at $14 each.

This same supplier now charges $20 each plus freight

Does anyone know of a cheaper supplier that they have dealt with recently?

thanks

Reg and Fran

Hi Reg & Fran,

I would take the $20 plus frieght. Camec want $30 plus each. I don't know if this the same supplier but I purchased 6 from Wisconsin's Premier RV. I replaced mine, kept 2 and sold 3 to friends at cost. Paying the frieght worked out well. Everybody was happy.

Hope this my help as a guide.

Regards,

Kingy.

Back in July 2008 (my how time flies!) cvtripper posted this:

If you're not desperate, order 6 from
http://www.rvingoutpost.com/specs.php?prod...tle=Anode%20Rod
for $11 each. The postage isn't calculated correctedly when ordering but Julie sends an email confirming total price on ordering.

I ordered 6 for future use, but I don't think they'll arrive before we head off but the total cost came to AUS$80 ($12 shipping) as the AUS dollar is pretty good for buying from the USA at the moment. (Works out at about $13 each).

We ordered ours from there and they arrived very promptly. We ordered 6 I think...

Chris

:sad: Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the contact details you have supplied Chris was the same site I emailed and was given a quote $20 ea. even if I purchsed 6. So, it seems the price has risen alot since '08.

Unless, someone has had a recent purchase at a lower price I'll order these.

Thanks Reg

No CCC, we only ordered ours in the middle of last year (that is, about 6 or 7 months ago). Are you sure that was the price quoted for EACH anode?

Chris

:thumbsup:

Hi Chris

Julie M. quoted US$19.99 ea plus US$14 shipping for 5 Suburban magnesium anodes last week. Were your anodes the same or aluminium?

Thanks again

Reg

Hey Tony H,

The item number is 170446587757 as an example. He has a number of them up for auction. Works out to be $24 each incl postage. I will get 4 or 5 and combine postage, shout work out reasonable.

So are they the Magneisum ones I am after?

Hi,

I would think so, my spare one are on the other side of the country at the moment, from memory they looked like magnesium or aluminium

CU down the road

Hi,

I would think so, my spare ones are on the other side of the country at the moment, from memory they looked like magnesium or aluminium

CU down the road

Hi Pete and Tracey

While researching prices on Suburban anodes I became confused by conflicting ads for magnesium and aluminium. I then came on the following in a thread on http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/techtalk/n...opic443564.shtm

Quote: ">>>We recently had a problem with 'rotten egg' smelling water after some eight years of trouble free but very active motorhoming. Our water lines are all catering quality hoses and fittings. The cause has been traced to the HWS anode and by telling this story we may be able to help others avoid a similar baffling experience.

Sacrificial anodes are built into Suburban hot water systems to protect the storage reservoir from corrosion. That is, the anode corrodes, first leaving the system intact provided the anode is replaced when necessary - which is normally at not more that two year intervals, and we have done this regularly. With the valued assistance of Coast-to-Coast RV Services we have been advised genuine Suburban anodes be made from magnesium. Unfortunately they look very similar to different anodes, which are made from aluminium and zinc to prevent corrosion in marine motors, which are constantly flushed with seawater.

If a marine type anode is inadvertently fitted to a Suburban HWS, an opaque type jelly may eventually appear on the anode and a foul odour will affect the water, particularly if the system is not used frequently. Merely flushing with fresh water will not get rid of the odour. It is necessary to flush the system and replace the anode with a genuine Suburban magnesium part.

Unfortunately we purchased our replacement marine type anode from a caravan repair business and assumed it was the right type. Hoping this tale may save other members from having contaminated water.<<<<<<<"

I think I might also buy a couple of the EBay ones (fingers crossed)

This post has only just been pointed out to me.

Seems rvoutpost has put the price up - now $20 for the Suburban ($9.49 for the Atwood).

http://www.rvingoutpost.com/specs.php?prod...tle=Anode%20Rod

The website says they are aluminium but I can't verify if the original were magnesium or not but they feel a lot heaver than an aluminum rod!

Does anyone have an aluminim or magnesium magnet? :tongue_ss:

I have discussed this issue with Julie over the weekend via email.

Julie has been most helpful and has even offered an excellent discount to KOG members.

I'm just waiting for a response from her regarding the material recommended by Suburban themselves.

Once I have this, I will post details in the member's area.

I suggest anyone that wants any of these to hold off for a day or two if you want to save a few dollars.

Thanks for the info Winnecke.

I believe the anodes from the eBay dealer are of the magneisum type.

Will wait to see what turns up, I have ordered one as a test to see the quality and composition before I purchase a batch.

It will be interesting to see what info cvtripper comes up with.

Have a good one all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi team,

I've placed a follow up to this and an offer made by RV Outpost in the members forum.

There is also some technical information on cleaning you tanks if you have any problems.

http://www.kedronownersgroup.com/forum/ind...?showtopic=1030

Sorry about the delay - I dropped the ball on this one.

When comparing prices make sure you are comparing apples with apples. I purchased one via Ebay from Award RV Superstore at Ferntree Gully in Vic for $24 including postage. It was approx 20mm dia compared to the original one of about 15mm, approx 75% more volume. http://www.awardrv.com.au/

Robert & Jane Jones

Hi Robert & Jane,

I can confirm the ones from RV Outpost are thicker than the original (I can't confirm it's 20mm without measuring one).

But $24 delivered is a pretty good price.

(You must also take into account the currency conversion and delivery when ordering overseas).

I had a look at the awardrv site - how did you find the prices? Scanning a catalog with no prices and showing a PDF in that little window is just wrong IMHO.