Landcruiser V8 Diesel

Gilly

G'Day,

I'm looking to upgrade my tow vehicle and very close to placing an order on a new Landcruiser V8 turbo diesel. I've heard conflicting reports about the V8's; a lot say they use excessive oil in between services, particularly when towing over long distances. Also a comon complaint is a knock in the motor.

Can anyone give me any feed back, good or bad, on your experiences with these vehicles :question:

Cheers

Pete

(Gilly)

Hi Gilly,

I am relatively new to the 200 Series turbo diesel, as well, having picked up a 2008 model in June from Maroochydore. I strongly recommend that you surf the forum in the Landcruiser Owners Group (google LCOOL and you can follow your interests from there). Great info from genuine users - not flogging any particular products, etc. All you ever wanted to know (and maybe some things you didn't want to know!) will be there - somewhere! I am really happy so far with my 'Cruiser which I have driven for about 5,500km so far, the majority with a 3 tonne off road van (Free Spirit) in tow back to Perth from Qld. Awesome power and I haven't done anything to her - yet!

Cheers,

Mike :thumbsup:

Hi Pete,

Yeah they do use a little oil (I use a couple of litres or so between services), but, aside from that they are a dream ride. this is my fourth in about 12 years and is the best ever. Drives like a AWD car, a very fast and powerful AWD car at that. :thumbsup:

Hi Pete,

I have the new release Landcruiser LC70 V8 Turbo diesel cab/chas. It's 6 months old now, and we have towed a camper all over QLD & NT. Did the 10000Klm service at Mareeba in July, prior to going up into the Cape. Came out of there and wandered around FNQ & Outback QLD heading for home, and yesterday took the vehicle to Toyota at Southport had the oil checked only to find I had used 1.5 ltr's.

The whole time I was towing about 1200kgs. Plus we have the added weight of a fibreglass canopy, aluminium tray, 70 ltr water tank, black widow draw system, engle fridge, two mountain bikes, Honda 2kva generator. This is a constant for the vehicle.

They have implemented a vehicle monitoring program whilst they (Toyota) are investigating a viable solution to the oil problem.

However, this vehicle is just fantastic in so many areas. I guess one of the main concerns is fuel consumption. We are getting 12 litres per 100 klms, towing. The car has not been modified except for all the suspension. I'm not sure what I'm going to experience when the ATV2 goes on the back. Watch this space.

Hope this has helped in some small way

Cheers

Hi Gary,

Did you get the PM I sent you the other day?

I have just come home after an 18 month trip round Oz, my 200 performed without a fault.

I did just on 50k k's during the trip, between servicing I only put in just over two liters of oil for the whole trip.

Can't complain about that.

Fuel consumption different story, wish I could say I only used 2 liters of fuel for the whole trip, towing our van I averaged 19L per 100k's which I dont think is over the top.

• 2 months later...

I may be a little late with a reply but here it is for what it is worth. I am towing a topender with a V8 Troopie. We are on the road permanently and have covered over 110 000 km towing over the last 2.5 years with the Troopie. I have never had to add oil in all that time and have done no more than 3000 km without the van. The fuel economy towing is great and have not had one bit of trouble. Tows this big van like a dream in all kinds of conditions - and there have been some real hairy ones in both deep mud and soft sand.

Norm

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a VERY happy 200 Series (TTD - 195kw & 650nm) owner. Mine is almost 18 months old, travelled 55,000+ km, towing an AORC Quantum for over 20,000 of those km. The Quantum weighs in at 2.2 tonne.

I've added a total of about 2 litres of oil to mine in it's life. Had the tail shaft re greased once to stop the clunk.

It's a great tow vehicle, mine has given me faultless service and is easily the best vehicle I've ever owned. :thumbsup:

Hi Gilly

We have a 200 series TD V8, which we bought in July 2010, we recently took it to Sci Fleet for its 10,000km service. No oil used, no klunk of motor, but tail shaft changing from 1st to 2nd gear was klunking but only slightly( wouldn't call it klunking, just not as smooth changing from first to second gear) the service department at scifleet greased the tail shaft, but it still does it, but only on rare occasions .

We are extremely happy with it, it has herds of power, very comfortable, and its has excellent braking in emergencies, as we found out on the week-end when a 9 year old boy on his scooter rode out in front of us.

Luckily when we stopped we could see his shocked face looking at us just in front of the bullbar.

Happy thoughts

Mal and Kerry