Radio Reception

Danny and Sue

Hi Danny

We have the same problem.We even changed the radio to a more upmarket Panasonic and it was no better,so we just plug in the MP3 and listen to our own music :biggrin: At least there are no adds.We had one of the old pull out telescopic aerials on the other Keddy and that was no better.The only thing I can suggest is to some how?? fit a car radio aerial that extends when you turn it on.

Cheers

Rick

Spoke to another Keddy owner yesterday who suffered the same problem - as do we with our radio - and he fitted an extending car antenna which solved the problem. I don't think this is a radio problem but rather an issue with the antenna. The car radio works perfectly well with excellent reception even when parked right next to the rear of our van where the little rubber antenna is located.

I fitted a standard car aerial which automatically extends when the radio is switched on and reception is now excellent. Sound in Motion at Nambour did the job

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all

The rubber aerials that are currently fitted are rubbish, fitted for cost and convenience to the installer stick to the old metal jobbies. if you can get someone to retro fit up an auto extend (electric) one ( repco , auto pro please go for it they are the best for reception. :thumbsup:

Hello All

My solution to the poor reception from a rubber aerial was to use the old coat hanger trick.

By getting a length or plain wire, not too thick( thinner then coat hanger wire) and creating a spiral which is wound over the rubber aerial with an extension above the van roof.

It has stayed in place in all conditions and works a treat.

I found that if I held the rubber aerial reception improved which indicated that I was acting as the aerial hence the add on wire.

Hope this may help with your problem!

Cheers All, John

We have a rubber aerial and it works fine here in Brisbane at least.

I am not sure if this is correct but a fellow traveller traveller informed me there is a screw at the back of the radio that needs to be turned to tune the radio into the aerial. I haven't had to do this but it may be worth a look/try.

We have had the same problem.

I have a 1.5 metre length of about 12mm ID aluminium tube that I slip over the top of the rubber aerial. It makes a huge improvement on the am reception and at least allows us to tune in to ABC news etc.

Because the rubber aerial on our van is quite high on the wall, I have a 13mm gaff clip on a bracket attached to the solar panel frame above. The tube clips into the gaff clip which supports it.

Hi all

Try a retrofit of an auto extend electric aerial available from Repco auto pro etc. It extends when you Make sure you get one with a water drain.

They are the best and reception is great :thumbsup:

If fitting is beyond you have it done , you will not look back.

Hi Rod and Mavis, any chance of a close up photo of the auto extend aerial fitted to the outside of the van.

We are still 4 months away from picking up our van and appreciate any ideas for improvement.

Den and Col

Hi Danny

We have the same problem which I think is something to do with a connection to the back of the rubber antenna as often just swinging it around gets better reception. I just have not looked further of how to remove the antenna and replace it with something better, but will be soon.

Cheers

John

• 3 weeks later...

Den & Col

So sorry for the late reply but we were waiting for the aerial to be installed on the new van.

Please see the attached pics. It is mounted in the rear L/H overhead cupboard near the entry door.The drain runs down inside the rear wall and drops out below the chassis. There will be a rubber marine self bailing/sealing cap on the end of this and the overboard drain for the Waeco fridge eliminating dust ingestion. It looks a million bucks and extends as the radio is turned on.

Aerial is from Auto Pro

($99.99 Aerpro AP10 Universal and VB-VL Commodore Replaceable Mast with four heads)

The 4 heads allow selection to accommodate the outside part of the aerial to be neatly fixed on curved or flat surfaces.

post-36-0-05940500-1305871342_thumb.jpgpost-36-0-98789500-1305871371_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-05940500-1305871342_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-98789500-1305871371_thumb.jpg

Den & Col

So sorry for the late reply but we were waiting for the aerial to be installed on the new van.

Please see the attached pics. It is mounted in the rear L/H overhead cupboard near the entry door.The drain runs down inside the rear wall and drops out below the chassis. There will be a rubber marine self bailing/sealing cap on the end of this and the overboard drain for the Waeco fridge eliminating dust ingestion. It looks a million bucks and extends as the radio is turned on.

Aerial is from Auto Pro

($99.99 Aerpro AP10 Universal and VB-VL Commodore Replaceable Mast with four heads)

The 4 heads allow selection to accommodate the outside part of the aerial to be neatly fixed on curved or flat surfaces.

post-36-0-05940500-1305871342_thumb.jpgpost-36-0-98789500-1305871371_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Rod and Mavis, had our last meeting with Stan at Kedron on Monday and they were happy to fit the auto aerial. Thanks again for the use of your photos. Surprising how many things come to mind when you have 2 months to wait before they start building the van. Changed quite a few things but the basic layout is the same and told Stan that we were finished making changes. That was until we came home and noticed a few things on the different photos we have taken of the various Kedrons we have seen.A quick email to Stan and no problems, it was a real pleasure to sort things out.

Have updated our plans in the Members Layouts accordingly.

Safe travels,

Den and Col

Well done Den and Col and good luck with the new van.