If You Were Building A New Van, What Would You Change

Hi Folks,

I was reading through the 'Campfire' section and came across a Thread I personally referred to many times when putting together my ATV2.

Havago created the original Thread on the 14 January 2009.

The interest generated was impressive, and went on to be a Hot Topic.

It generated 23 replies, and 4401 views.

Not wanting to plagiarise, but in the interest to those who are building their new van and to share information with other Kedron Van enthusiasts:

May I put it out there and ask; What would you add or change to your van today?

Cheers

Gary & Kaye

Hi Gary

Are you still at it? I would have thought you had made up your mind by now. :lol:

But just to keep you happy here goes.

1 Get rid of the oven ,it`s totally useless.

2 Put the diesel heater controls next to the bed.

3 Add more inverter outlets near bed for my CPAP.

4 Take away a cupboard and replace with drawers.

5 Do something different with current wardrobe (still thinking about it)

6 Win lottery to complete above :lol:

Cheers

Rick & Lea

Hello Gary and Kaye,

After picking our van up in June 2009 we have enjoyed many miles and many great moments with really terrific people.

Judy and I put a lot of time into the planning before having our Kedron built and we will always remember the many great people who gave us their opinions of likes and dislikes.

Today Honestly, Judy and I would not change add or remove a thing in our van if we were to build another.

I think Judy still holds the award for the most drawers and cupboards in any Kedron van built.

Our inverter is wired to run everything in our van as if we were on mains power.

Best of luck and safe travels.

Regards

Greg and Judy

If I was going to change any thing I would change the whole van !!!!

Rick do you know that you can get a 7 day fully programable timer for the diesel heater ??, our Topender had a horrible knob thingie, I bought and fitted the programable timer,, easy as! just plug it in.. We have ordered one for the new van..

Pictured next to tank gauges

Cheers Phil

post-1028-0-39696600-1306407886_thumb.jp

Hi Phil

Could not open attachment,wanna try sumfin diferant??!!

Cheers

Rick :blink:

Hi all.

I would try to get a better balance in the whole package. No compromising on features to fit a limit. I would love to see axles moved forward lowering the pin weight. More 12 volt outlets in and out.4 solar panels. I hope to chop up and convert the 100 TD to a 6 wheel dropside to remain legal with a heavy van (weight is one of the features we all love about Kedrons,you can't be this tough and light without spending truckloads on material.)

cheers Mick

G'day,

If we went again I would make sure that the van was balanced better. I want four batteries and I want a generator and I want two gas bottles and I want all of the storage and I want to carry a heap of water - but almost all of these thing are forward of the axles and there's not much aft of the axles to counter-balance them. God only knows where we'd be if we didn't have air suspension on the tug to lift the damned ball up!

I think that the axles could be moved forward a bit. I know that this would reduce the rear ramp-angle but thats what the rear tyre bar is for - skull dragging the van through gullies. I would also like to see more, smaller, water tanks that allow for the same water carrying capacity but spread more sensibly under the van body to balance weight. I'd like to have enough room between the rear of the van and the spare tyres to fit a decent sized toolbox that I could put my really heavy stuff in.

I think I would go as far as having the batteries mounted under the seats of the Cafe lounge. There is no electrical reason why this can't be done. The batteries are sealed, but the space could be vented to the outside as a precaution. The charger and solar regulator could be fitted aft of the axles as well. We, too, would probably do without an oven. It is next to useless and we don't cook inside the van much anyway, preferring to use our Cobb oven and the BBQ. We would have a gas stove top only and a cupboard underneath, where we could store heavy stuff (perhaps the battery charger and inverter?)

The whole ball-weight issue with our van has gnawed away at me over the years and if we were to ever get another Kedron van, it would HAVE to be addressed. Currently, the rear axle weight of our tug is illegal when the van is hitched and we have a full fuel-load (we have a 205 litre fuel tank system.)

There is no disputing the strength of Kedron vans but 20/20 in hindsight, I doubt that we need that kind of strength for what we have been doing with the van. It would be interesting to see if the Galls are flexible enough in their thinking to radically change the proven design of the Top Ender to accommodate what I'd like in a new van layout, especially moving the axles forward.

Cheers

Russ

Thanks Phil Now I have got it.

When you said you just plugged it in,did you have to remove the old one and was there any wiring involved?

Cheers

Rick

Hi Rick

It just plugs in like a phone cable,, Totally idiot proof !!! hardest bit would be getting wire to controller from heater, also easy. all you need to do is when you pull out old cable tape new cabe to it, plug it in and your away. :)

Hi Rick

I have moved the spare wheels outwards and created more storage on the rear bar, after cutting off the disks that held the spare wheels on I was able to use those mounts to secure a tool box that I had made. The tool box holds my tinnie trailer and the wheels clip in to the side of rear bar.

It makes it easier to access the storage area behind wheels.

Cheers Phil

post-1028-0-95363100-1306559663_thumb.jppost-1028-0-27366600-1306559478_thumb.jppost-1028-0-21756200-1306559562_thumb.jp

G'day Phil,

thanks for posting those photos. That is exactly what I need to do. Basically, I want to get stuff out of the front boot and side hatches and get it behind the axles to redistribute some of the weight. A toolbox like that would be the bee's knees.

A few of questions:

1) Did you have the van registration changed to reflect the additional length over all?

2) Did your insurer have a problem with the modifications?

3) How did you treat the metal joins where the new additions meet the existing, hot dipped, frame?

4) Did you consult Kedron to see whether the existing frame is capable of supporting the extra weight of the toolbox and contents and the leverage the wheels would apply now that they are further out from the van?

5) If "yes" to above, what did they say?

Looks like a real pro job you've done there Phil. Congratulations.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Russ

1. NO

2. Havent spoken to insurer (I have another van where I extended the draw bar to carry a quad bike on it, I have told the insurance company about and they did not have a problem with, so I can not see an issue with this mod..

3. The welded joins are just sprayed with cold galv..and silver paint.

4. I did not consult Kedron... there is enough support with the brace I have added.

We have not had a problem with the mod and creates the storage space I need. the tinnie trailer is not heavy..I think 60kg

Cheers Phil

Greetings all.

Like Mr & Mrs Havago, (greetings Greg & Judy) we have opted for as many drawers as we can fit including a pot drawer, getting rid of unusable cupboard space.

The diesel heater has gone digital in control no more dial (Webasto) with timer set. Contemplated the Truma Gas jobby but stuck with the diesel due to diesel availability in the scrub. The diesel is definitely much noisier but we love it.

Remote digital radio can turn it on from the bed (Slack aint we).

Fully electric Saturn TV aerial with Next G incorporated for the phone plus Marine swivel base mounted Next G aerial for the internet.

Electric auto extend radio aerial (rubbers do not work well well so we hear, some rubbers don't grin).

The oven we can not do without for bread, cold country roasts and scones grin.

Our hot water system is 240v plus gas. Current one is only gas, the exhaust vent is modified from that supplied and the exhaust is not allowing the hot air from the heater to be sucked in to the fridge vent which invariably is just above it.

Fantastic hatch is rain sensing (thanks again Greg & Judy).

Bedside tables extended to allow bigger drawers.

Electric hydraulic disc brakes (ease of maintenance and superior operation).

Independent coil suspension with dual shocks the axles have been moved as far forward as legally allowed to lift some weight off the tow bar (McHitch is fitted).

No decals all striping and logo's painted on van to avoid the dreaded bubbles,cracks and red dirt storage behind same.

Waeco 215L fridge (Jury is our waiting for result but it looks more robust than Vitrifrigo and the motor and compressor(identical to Vitrifrigo) are on the top of the fridge concequently the heat should be dispersed more efficiently).

Full LED lighting.

Our toilet has been raised to a comfortable height for grey nomads that have not so good knees or legs and an assist handle situated near same.

Assist handle outside the door and also inside the entry door.

We are having the mandatory front bra but a fuel saver cone is on the drawing board improving laminar air flow down the side of the van thus no more being sucked in and spat out by passing trucks and there are documented fuel saving benefits.

4 135w solar panels to give us 40amps charge on a good day.

70a battery charger to boost batteries quickly on the generator after bad weather.

Pressure water fill system, It is much easier to fill the tanks and fool proof if the vents are in sight. The other advantage is that there is no mass of piping in the cupboards for the fill system.

Grey water holding tank. After just returning from Tassie where a lot of free camps require self containment this is a must.

Probably forgot a few items but above are some of our inclusions.

Regards to all.

Rod & Mavis. :D

• 3 weeks later...

If I was building another Kedron, I would install floaties and a couple of outbaord motors as every time we use it ...... It rains bigtime