Dust through door

Alan and Jayne

We have a Top Ender with a rear door. When driving on dirt, we get dust through the gap in the door frame, mostly below but also above the centre door hinge. Up until now we've sealed the gap with tape, but this leaves a sticky mess to get rid of at the end of each trip, and it's not really successful anyway. We put a piece of foam between the flyscreen and door to keep the dust out of the vent, and this works reasonably well.

My next step is to try rubber tubing (similar to flyscreen rubber) to feed into the gap around the door. Does anybody have a similar problem and/or solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

Jayne

We have a Top Ender with a rear door. When driving on dirt, we get dust through the gap in the door frame, mostly below but also above the centre door hinge. Up until now we've sealed the gap with tape, but this leaves a sticky mess to get rid of at the end of each trip, and it's not really successful anyway. We put a piece of foam between the flyscreen and door to keep the dust out of the vent, and this works reasonably well.

My next step is to try rubber tubing (similar to flyscreen rubber) to feed into the gap around the door. Does anybody have a similar problem and/or solution for this?

Thanks in advance.

Jayne

Hi Jayne

Attached are photos of my solution to dust through the door of my XC2, in addition I use duct tape to cover the gas vent when on dusty roads. I buy the ribbed sealing rubber from Bunnings and have had no problems since. I also use the same ribbed rubber seal around all other windows and access doors needing it. It may not be pretty but solved all my doors and windows dust problems.

Try it.

Johnpost-154-0-59862500-1307154434_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-06821400-1307154419_thumb.jpg

Probably a bit late now but that was one of the reasons I went for a frint door layout as

I always figured a door behind the wheels would let dust in.

Doesn't help that no one makes proper offroad parts to go with the vans such as doors, hatches, windows etc etc.

Cheers

Darryl

Hi Jayne

Attached are photos of my solution to dust through the door of my XC2, in addition I use duct tape to cover the gas vent when on dusty roads. I buy the ribbed sealing rubber from Bunnings and have had no problems since. I also use the same ribbed rubber seal around all other windows and access doors needing it. It may not be pretty but solved all my doors and windows dust problems.

Try it.

Johnpost-154-0-59862500-1307154434_thumb.jpg

G'day John

Thanks for the tips, we're off down the Birdsville Track soon & we will try your suggestions.

Cheers

Alan & Jayne

G'day John

Thanks for the tips, we're off down the Birdsville Track soon & we will try your suggestions.

Cheers

Alan & Jayne

Hi Alan & Jayne

There is another area around the door you should check to make sure there are no dust leaks from and that is the top of the step to floor board sealing. See my attached photos that show dust on the top of step and a gap between the top of step and floor board. I spread plenty of Sikaflex sealant over the joint and more inside the aluminium angle forming the top of step, re-installed the angle then cleaned up the excess that oozed out.

Have a good trip

John

post-154-0-10991500-1307621764_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-19380800-1307621786_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi All

Further to my posts on this topic, after our recent trip around the WA Goldfields and the Pilbara we got a bit of dust in the van and decided to have a close look at doors on other vans.

I noticed that the gap between the edge of the door and door frame was equal on other new vans (not Kedron) and a close examination of ours showed that the frame on the catch/lock side bowed by 8mm in the centre.

This meant that the door seal was only contacting by 2mm or so which combined with what are old seals probably lead to dust ingress.

As there are no signs of panel movements around the door frame it has probably been like that since new.

Have any other owners measured the width of their door frame to see if it is installed in accordance with manufacturers instructions which in the case of Camec are installation limits of -o/+2mm?

Cheers

John