roof vents and skylights

Mr Wato

Hi All

I know we have covered this topic but I'm trying to gather updated input.. We are going to see Stan/Kedron next week to pick n choose colours and so forth for our new ATV.

I would like to fit a heki/skylight type hatch but only if they don't leak dust or water. we would like to fit it to let more light in. At the minute we are going to have 2 auto fantasics in the living room, four seasons at the rear near ensuite door. thinking about heki/skylight over the bed.

Any feed back would be great, thanks in advance

Cheers Phil

Hi All

I know we have covered this topic but I'm trying to gather updated input.. We are going to see Stan/Kedron next week to pick n choose colours and so forth for our new ATV.

I would like to fit a heki/skylight type hatch but only if they don't leak dust or water. we would like to fit it to let more light in. At the minute we are going to have 2 auto fantasics in the living room, four seasons at the rear near ensuite door. thinking about heki/skylight over the bed.

Any feed back would be great, thanks in advance

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil,

Sadly, Kedron roofs leak (my experience). And the more holes you put in it, the more likely they are to do so.

Both the Hekies in our Kedrons have leaked and last night we had drips from the Fantastic hatch surround. Of course, the water could be coming from elsewhere, but just where, is the question. IMO roof sealing is NOT a Kedron strong point.

I've stopped the Heki from leaking by applying a rubber/foam strip (Clark Rubber) to the roof under the lip of the Heki, but now I can't open the hatch (not sure why it's stuck down) although we still benefit from the skylight function.

Now why are we getting leaking from the Fantastic hatch??

Cheers

Brian

Hi Brian

Thanks for input , still un-decided, our top ender does not leak yet !

and i think we would benefit from the light

Will talk to Stan next week

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil,

We have a four seasons hatch (towards the front of the van) over our beds which really lets the dust in....NO water though.

On our last trip to Brendale Ashley made up & fitted a 'dust' deflector that was fitted in front of the hatch, since fitting we havent been off road to test but I believe it should work.

Our Fantastic hatch works a beauty....no water leaks there. You are talking about two fantastic hatches.... dont you think that will be an overkill?? as they are sooooo efficent & move so much air.

Getting back to your original question about the Heiki hatch, Stan, Dave & Ashley have at different times said that the Heike will leak after time as the seals wear/dry out.....disappointing as we would love to have the Heike for the extra light it lets in & the panoramic view you get at night looking at the stars.

How are other people with Heike's going as far as water leaks???

Touch wood we havent had any water leaks in our van, coming up to four years now.

Looking forward to seeing your floor plan.

We had an ATV previously and now a Top Ender. In neither case did/do the roofs leak. We don't have Heiki, as we decided early in the piece that they were problematic (let in too much heat/cold, and dust can be an issue.

Chris

G'day,

Not in response to the OP's post but to the later post asking about leaks, we have now gone from two leaks to three leaks. We leak at the four seasons hatch, at a join in the roof lining near the airconditioner and at the Fantastic hatch.

I thought I'd fixed the Fantastic hatch leak - in fact I know it is fixed, so the water must be coming in elsewhere and coming out at the Fantastic hatch. I've been up on the roof and can see where the water is seeping under the factory applied silicon almost everywhere. It's easy to see because the fine red bulldust has migrated under the silicon with the water.

I think it will basically require all of the silicon to be removed (which won't be that hard as it was never keyed to the roof cladding in the first place) and re-do the whole lot with sikaflex. I might actually cut out some excess weight as there must be many, many kilos of silicon up there. Unfortunately, it seems that the policy was "more is better" when they built our van - instead of keying the surfaces properly and using much less product.

This is a very disappointing aspect of Kedron ownership that I honestly didn't think that we'd have to go through and, with 20/20 vision in hindsight, would have swayed our purchasing decision if we knew what was coming.

Cheers

Russ