Heater

David Hunt

Hi all

I have read in numerous threads over time, comments about Diesel heaters. I have noticed over time some comments have been about issues regarding dust & other problems.

Whilst there are several brands now on the market & at a recent caravan show I came across a gas version.

I was just wondering if anyone has the gas heater installed & what is your thoughts about them. For those with Diesel or gas heaters what brand did you buy - why - would you buy that brand & type again & have you incurred any problems with the unit.

Any comments would be very much appreciated as I need to make a decision of which type & brand to buy.

Thanking you in anticipation.

David

Hi David.

We have a Webasto installed in our new van. We specified this heater after having the same in our old van and finding it great.

Our personal choice is for diesel due to availability of fuel. Gas heating requires that an extra gas bottle be carried/installed.

We have had to insulate the ducting from the heater but this is the only thing that we had to do.

The diesel is easily accessed for top up when the tug is refuelled.

We do use a lot of fuel as our heater generally runs all night in the colder climates. Having said that the 12 litre tank lasts us for 4 nights.

Hi David

we have the gas heater - I think it is Truma - Glen opted for the gas due to how quiet they are (people have complained about having a clicking noise with the diesel), maintenance free and fume free (fumes are only a problem to people outside) and I think it was a smidge cheaper. Glen did have a third gas bottle put on the drawbar due to having the gas heater installed but since then has acquired a tinny so the third gas bottle is going so as to make room for the boat motor or something along those lines. We travelled up to NT recently where we had some stops in some frosty areas (Roma) and I love my gas heater. Like Rod, we also had to insulate the piping due to how hot it gets.

So I do believe it is just a personal preference regarding using the diesel or gas. I imagine if we are camped in an isolated area for an indefinite period of time, I would have to take into consideration of where our next gas fill up would be.

Good luck

Deb & Glen B

G`day David

We have a Dometic Diesel heater in our van which "now" works very well. But if we had a choice we would go for a different brand,anything other than Dometic. :angry:

Cheers

Rick

Hi David,

For your info the gas heater should get about 50 hours of heating from a 9kg cylinder. That's from the figures supplied by the manufacturer as we haven't tested it for long periods. We've got the control beside the bed so we turn it off once in bed and snug, then turn it on again before getting up in the morning. If used in this manner it's not going to use much gas at all. It works for us like this anyway. The unit is a Truma brand distributed by Dometic I believe. They have been used in Europe for many years so they are tried and proven.

As Debbie said earlier, the choice between deisel & gas is an individual thing. Good luck with it. :)

Glen...

Hello David,

We had a diesel heater installed by Kedron when we purchased the van just over 2 years ago. Living in Cairns I wondered why we wasted our money. Then we did a trip south through NSW, Vic, SA and WA lat April to August. Now, Gayleen and I just love the diesel heater and reckon its the best money we ever spent. Very economical to run, instant heat (almost) no smell inside the van, and easy to refuel as Rod says, when you fill the tug. It does sound like a 747 when it starts but once going is almost noiseless.

Once we hit the warm climated I just drain the tank completely and then run the heater until it stops to ensure the fuel is out of the long fuel line. So far it has been trouble free.

Regards

Colin

Hi David

We have a Dometic diesel heater, and up to a few weeks ago were very happy with it.

I said were, because on the last trip away the unit started smoking to such an extent that

we had to turn it off . The neighbours were complaining too much.

Now I realise that these heaters need some maintenance, and the fuel may become stale however,

we use our heater a lot so fuel should not have been a issue.

Our book states that these units need a service every year by a qualified person.????

The heater was repaired by our local refrigeration man here in Albany ,for a cost of $485.00.

Apparently a gasket was leaking and the glow plug was a little dirty.

My gut feeling is that a gas unit may not give you as many dramas as a diesel unit.

If you look at the gas hot water systems ,they seem to go on for ever.Not sure how much gas you would

use say, if the unit is going all night ,probably not much as they are on a thermostat.

I think my next heater will run on gas

John.

David

My new van, purchased 3 years ago, came with a diesel heater. I had no end of trouble due to the dusty conditions of some of the roads on which we travelled. Just over 12 months ago I had installed a Truma gas heater and have had no regrets. Slightly more expensive to run compared to diesel but most certainly completely trouble free. We live in our van full time and the cost of running the heater and the stove as well as hot water has averaged just over $1.00 per day over the year we have had the heater installed.

Norm

Hi Norm

Thankyou very much for your comforting comments about the Gas heater, i will certainly be installing the gas heater after all the honest replies I have recieved.

Thankyou all very much, as always the kedron members are so honest & helpful with their replies.

cheers

David

• 2 years later...