Axle shift question

Ian and Sue

Hi all

We have just purchased a 2005 Kedron ATV with the solid axle suspension and military leaf springs.

Now forgive me for the "iffy" interpretation of my husbands words but he is away at work and unable to post himself. He says that there is a half inch shift to the rear in the front axle which is the cause of the tyre wear on this van. He didn't think it would be a big deal to shift it back but would love anyone who has had a similar problem to give him some incites into what they did. My husband is a qualified mechanic by trade and we are living in a remote WA location so bringing into Kedrom is unfortunately out of the question.

Cheers

Did you buy sight unseen?

What do you mean by "military suspension" is it shackled springs at both ends or a rocker/roller springs with a pin joint at the front and a sliding roller at the rear and rocker in the middle?

My XC2 has a rocker roller suspension for the beam axles and the tyres have minimum uneven tyre inspite of the AL-KO springs flattening and the pins being seriously worn due to no hardening (they were regularly greased)after only 3 years. It sounds like you need to have a close look at the state of wear of the spring, shackles,pins and straightness of the axles. I now have an Industrial Springs suspension which is Aussie made.

Cheers

Hi Red Rubi

I had a similar problem on our previos van. The problem was a broken main spring. The end was broken off but retained by the rolled over end of the second spring. Apart from the axle mooving about half inch it was not noticable. I believe i traveled some 2000k before noticing a problem and I was looking for a missing center bolt when the break was found.

Cheers Lionel

Thanks Lionel and thanks to Zolle

Lionel I have sent your reply on to my husband, fingers crossed when he comes home tonight he might say AHHHH.. that is it.

Zolle - I was going to climb under the van and take a photo of the suspension as my description is likely lacking the right terminology etc :(

When I opened the door to go out it was so hot (36c today) that I decided to wait until later. Yes I wimped out.

We aren't too concerned about the problem as my husband tends to think the fix isn't too hard once he finds the problem, eventually we may well change the suspension but for now need to replace at least one tyre. We want to do a whole new set as the van hasn't moved in 3 years but don't want to spend money and scrub them (actually on one would scrub) out on the first short run.

Right now we need only to sort it out so that we can get it registered in WA as it currently has QLD plates - 28 days to get it right to go over the pits :D

Rather a round about reply, ekkk... Apologies.

Thanks all.

Hi,

Deb & I had an axle replaced with a heavier duty one on a single axle Kedron some years ago before doing the Mereenie Loop. The company that replaced it failed to double nut the U-bolts. We were about 10 klms from Glen Helen Gorge and looking forward to the bitumen after more than 200 klms of bad corrugations when I felt a tugging from behind. When we looked in the mirrors we saw the van going from side to side and tipping at about 45 degrees. Thankfully we were only doing approx 50 kph when this happened and we pulled up safely. When we got out the left side wall was buckled outwards, the door was open and the inside of the van looked like a bomb had gone off. The axle had moved back and the wheel jammed in the wheel arch almost flipping the van. The chassis was bent & twisted and bits and pieces of springs & cans of food were scattered down the road behind us. In short the U-bolts must have come loose and the centre pin broke allowing the axle to slide back. The result was the van was a right off after being trucked all the way back to Kedron's yard.

I'm only telling you this so you are aware that this can cause serious damage and needs close inspection before taking it back on the road. As a mechanic I don't think this will be a too much of a problem for your husband. Good luck and happy travels.

Hi Glen & Debbie

Wow, that's sounds really scary. How horrible for you but lucky I guess that you noticed it and didn't get hurt yourselves. We definately don't intend driving anywhere with the van as it is and will be getting it fixed ASAP, we need to get it fixed not only for safety etc but also so that we can have the transfer of ownership finalized - we are required to have the Kedron inspected before a WA registration and transfer can be put into place. I have wondered whether replacing the dud tyre and taking it in for inspection the guys would even notice the 1/2 inch difference but my husband says he is going to fix it this weekend regardless as he doesnt want to have to spend more money for a reinspection if they are actually doing their job correctly. (And of course I am sure they would be thorough cause that's their job isn't it?)

Hi Red Rubi.

Sounds like the problem is now well sorted. I would only add to very carefully inspect that axle's opposing side shackles, pins and rubbers as it would be under increased stress given the solid axle. That wheel is probabaly scrubbing as well, though not as badly.

Cheers Mick.

We have spent the whole of the day under the van. My husband has had the wheels off the springs out, he has checked, cleaned and greased everything that should be. When he replaced the springs he swapped sides. As it stands at the moment there weren't any breaks or bends and after much careful measuring he is starting to wonder whether something wasn't right when the van was built, he did show me exactly what he was talking about bur right now after being out in 35c all day surrounded by dust and flies I really don't care anymore!

Seriously though he still says that it might be going to cost us a few dollars but it is no big deal as long as we fix it before we buy expensive new tyres. At least we know nothing is broken so there it isn't going to cause anything more major than tyre chewing eh? :-).

We need to find a replacement tail light as some of the LED's arent working in the break lights but other than that we should be able to get it passed through by the police. Any pointers as to where we might be able to purchase an assembly gratefully accepted, I am hunting on the net right now but can't seem to find one that looks like ours as yet.

Cheers.

Hi,

If you want to send me an email, just go into my profile. I can give you advice on how I fixed my XC but I won't put it on the public forum. The other option is that I move this thread to the members forum and put the reply on for all the members. I had a similar problem that you are describing on our 2005 XC and fixed it, very minimal to no cost just a bit of time and you have the background to carry out the fix yourself or at least determine if the problem is the same.

cheers

Laurie