Vehicle & Caravan Overweight Solution

Neville and Kay

We are on the road again after having our Sahara modified to a twin cab & lockable canopy with a GVM 4495 kg ,& the Topender also upgraded to 4 Ton by Kedron Caravans who installed a new 5 Ton Hitch-Ezy coupling which they had just received 2 of in the post. Glen was quite impressed as he & Tom had a good look at it. So now we are all up to scratch with weights & can really enjoy our tripping around. We are extremely happy with the Hitch-Ezy so far although it has only been on for 2 months for it is great when hooking up & disconnecting although with the new Air Bag suspension on the vehicle with the flick of a switch we can drop all air out of the rear suspension lowering the tow bar 150mm which helps on uneven sites, then flick the switch back & the compressor cuts in & pumps the suspension back to the preset height. We left Cooktown in August & are currently on the South Coast of NSW watching whales & seals most days & enjoying life.

Hi Neville

Your setup sounds great.

Do you have any pic's of your car ?

Where did you get it done ? We are in WA and can not yet chop them, I also asked about upgrading the GVM and was told that it was set by the manufacturer and couldn't be increased ? maybe I was speaking to a goose...

Cheers Phil

with the new Air Bag suspension on the vehicle with the flick of a switch we can drop all air out of the rear suspension lowering the tow bar 150mm which helps on uneven sites, then flick the switch back & the compressor cuts in & pumps the suspension back to the preset height.

Ahem.....dare I say it.....the Land Rover Discovery has been able to do this for years. Straight off the showroom floor. All four corners as well. But then, I wouldn't want to start a Toyota Vs Land Rover war, would I? Lol

Cheers

Russ

Hi Phil,

Earlier this year I had the GVM of my GQ Patrol increased from 2,500kg to 3,500kg, I spoke to about 15 engineers who told me the GVM was set by the manufacturer and was unable to be increased. Not being prepared to take no for an answer I persevered and Jan at Kedron put me onto Lindsay Stone, who I had contacted a few years earlier on another matter and he never got back to me. He is very hard to contact but persevere, it is worth the wait and the several calls you will make before you get to speak to him. He is very knowledgable, I don’t know if there are any differenced between the states, I am sure there will be, but he will be able to advise you on that. He is situated in Townsville.

His details are;

Living Stone Automotive

Lindsay Stone

Telephone: (07)47748807

Facsimile: (07)47748807

E-Mail: lkstone@aapt.net.au

Regards,

John

Phil

The job on the vehicle was done by Creative Conversions in Brendale just around the corner from Kedron Caravans. It is Blue Plated to Australian Standards and is legal in all states. Photo of finished product attached (hopefully!).

Russ

I used to own a Landrover Discovery with this suspension and got sick and tired of the little things going wrong with it. Living in Cooktown and having to drive 330 km to Cairns to get it fixed just got too much so I traded it in on a Landcruiser Troop Carrier after 8 months and had no more problems.

post-1109-0-09756000-1319668140_thumb.jp

I can agree with Blinky Bill as I too had the GVM, Total combination GVM, Ball weight and tow capacity all upgraded on my GQ patrol by Lindsay Stone. I found him good to deal with and very helpfull