Replacing decals

John and Jo

Greetings John

We went to Kedron about replacing the blistered and cracked decals but they wanted nearly $300 at the time (3 years ago)

Our answer was to remove all with the exception of the name.

It is amazing how good the van looks with no side striping.

Use "Killrust Appliance white" spray pack to touch up any damage after removal of stripes and it is a perfect match. Only of course if the van is white grin :rolleyes: .

Having said all of that. We got a sign writer to stripe and put the names on our new van. It looks great and won't blister or crack.

post-36-0-61454700-1321347941_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-61454700-1321347941_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rod, I have a price for some new one's from Tom at Kedron ,however the original ones only lasted four years so I will look into getting them painted on.

just wondering if any body else has the same problem ? One would think that the vinyl would last at least 10-15 years.

John

Hi John,

Yes I have the same problem.

Mine started to bubble before 6 months. Took the van back down from Rocky at 6 months to have some warranty work done, mentioned the bubbling decals, but alas still have the same bubbling decals. Have put a small nick along where the bubbling is occurring to let the air escape to try and at least get a few more years out of them.

Perhaps I should just get them taken off and then no more worries.

I think you will find that nearly everyone would be having the same problems with the decals. Some just don't admit it.

Regards

Gazza

Hi All.

Gazza I hate to throw water on ya fire but after we had been advised by Kedron on how to treat the bubbling decals ( hair drier to soften them then push them back into place) They then cracked.

The results were not only not pretty but the red dust used to sit in the pockets and it was impossible to wash the van and not leave red runs down from the splits.

Cheers to all.

Our decals along the sides of the van are really bubbled I can't see how any van with a "rough" finish can not have the same problem, decals need a flat finish to fully adhere.

The decals on the front window cover have peeled and lifted off of a surface I would have thought would have been optimal for adhesion but then our van has been exposed to the Pilbara for the past couple of years and given the severity of the weather here it's a credit to its builders that it still looks so good.

I like the idea of having new ones sign written on - I wonder if there is any copywrite issues in doing that. When we get our van back down to home I think I will have to make some enquiries.

Hi all.

With reference to copywrite I would suggest any manufacturer would be happy to see one of their vans in sparkling livery.

You own it you can put what ever you like on it. Recently a Kedron was up for sale and there was no Kedron livery on it and it was done in an all over marine scene,very different!

Cheers to all.

Hi Rod

Sorry didn't mean to hit a nerve. But I thought we both had the same problem. Re Lifting/bubbling decals.

Unfortunately I am unable at present to put my van under cover, so the morning and afternoon sun beats down on the sides of the van. The decals started to bubble so I use to push them back in with my finger. But after 12 months of doing this I figured the best way was to cut a slit in the decal to remove the air, and it appears to have prevented most of the decals for bubbling again. But there are still a few stubborn places where they have not stuck to.

Ah well such is life. Got better things to do.

Gazza

I had considered sticking a pin into the air pockets and pushing them back. It really is a shame that this is happening as it really affects the asthetics of what is a very impressive looking caravan.

I am definately going to price out the signwriters as soon as I get ours down south it will be interesting to see what they want to charge. Hmmm... a thought.... I wonder if any of the little graffiti artists around town are up to the challenge? :lol: Not really :rolleyes:

Hi All.

No Nerves hit at all Gazza we just try to tell it as we have experienced it for the benefit of all.

Yes we did have the same problem decals blistering!

Our baby lived outside for the last 6 years no cover. Mostly she was on the road in the sun charging the batteries so we must assume that the decals do not stand up to the Aussie sun.

• 10 years later...

I use a heat gun as opposed to a hair dryer…..get nice and warm then rub off with a rag……it is a slow tedious job.

New sticker kits from Kedron are quite expensive……get a price from a pin stripping/moulding guy that does car yards.

• Like 1

I also used a heat gun but did not get the decals or the metal too hot, and found that once you could get a "peel" started by continually warming in front of the "peel" they came off quite easily.

The replacements came from Kedron.

Overall, it is a character building exercise.

• Like 2