Vitrifrgo Refrigerator

joyngeoff

Hi Plugged in our Vitrifrigo after being off for 4 weeks and the fridge cuts in and runs for about 15-20 seconds and cuts out. It will cut in again after ashort while but cut out again.We pulled the plug after our last trip and didn't alter the thermostat setting and this is the first time this has happened. The fridge is in our 2006 XC and up until now no problems. Wondering if the gas is low and if so would this cause this to happen. Same result whether the fridge is working via battery direct with and without 12v charger. Any clues please. Geoff

Geoff, we had the same problem with our Vitrifrigo at about the same age. It did turn out to be a gassing problem - the gas had escaped out of a hole in the piping. Apparently it is important to re-gas it to exact levels - not too much and not too little. We had a fridge mechanic have several goes at it, all costing quite a bit each time. In the end I had had enough and we bought a new replacement fridge - another Vitrifrigo. It wasn't cheap. Val took the old one out and the new one in by himself with no hassles. Had to remove the fridge door first as I recall.

Chris

Hi Geoff,

I had a problem with the Vitrifrigo fridge on my boat but it was the opposite to yours in that my fridge would run continuously. I found a company in Liverpool (Sydney)who deal in fridges for boats, caravans, campers etc, and the guy was very helpful and diagnosed the problem as being over gassed. He explained how I could release some gas which should fix it, so I did and it now works perfectly.So maybe you could call him and have a chat about your problem.

The company is MOOREBANK MARINE REFRIGERATION P/L ,his name is Bruce Lee 0438 184 129 or 9602 9571

Cheers Alan

Well we solved the problem with our fridge at a total cost of $120 which was a great relief thanks to our very knowledgeabe Auto Electrician. He felt that it was a power problem and a possible overheating of the compressor unit.He first blew all the dust out of the small radiater unit on the side and also discovered that the cooling fan was not working so a fast build up of heat and the fridge cut out. Because the the fan is in a very awkward spot to get at he fixed a fan on the other side of the radiator or condenser (not sure which is the right name) but voilla and all is well. The fan was a 120mm x 120mm x25 and fitted the fixing holes on the unit exactly.It is an XX-2522 ball bearing unit 12v 60 m/a with a 106cfm air flow @ 3000 rpm.It is very quiet and the fridge temperature is better than its ever been. He did say that if for any reason we need to pull the fridge out that a replacement origonal fan would also be a good option as well. Hope this may be helpful info for consideration of maybe fitting an extra fan to better cool the unit.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

That little radiator gizzmo is the condenser, good work by the sparky diagnosing the the problem, the refrigeration system would have been building up high pressure from no air flow over the condenser & tripping out on a thermal or pressure switch. Fitting another fan rectifies your problem..... all good.

Can I suggest that you remove or get the sparky to remove the 'old' fan assembly as it will be impeding air flow over the condenser. And I would refrain from fitting another fan to replace the in-op one now as having one fan either side of the condenser ....one sucking & one blowing will NOT improve performance of the condenser or refrigerator performance.

Good thing you can keep the beer cold now :)

When parked up & especially in warmer climates I always open the outside access door/flap to the fridge motor to allow better airflow to the condenser, I find this really does improve the general operation of the fridge. Once a year get a compressed air nozzle & blow any 'crap' off the condenser coil & straighten any deformed/bent fins on the condenser with a small flat blade screwdriver.

Hi Geoff,

I had a problem with the Vitrifrigo fridge on my boat but it was the opposite to yours in that my fridge would run continuously. I found a company in Liverpool (Sydney)who deal in fridges for boats, caravans, campers etc, and the guy was very helpful and diagnosed the problem as being over gassed. He explained how I could release some gas which should fix it, so I did and it now works perfectly.So maybe you could call him and have a chat about your problem.

The company is MOOREBANK MARINE REFRIGERATION P/L ,his name is Bruce Lee 0438 184 129 or 9602 9571

Cheers Alan

Thanks for this post Alan.

I have the same problem... the fridge runs continuously. I have recently had it repaired by a refrigeration mechanic where he replaced the evaporator and obviously had to re-gas it (the job cost me $600!) but now he has my money I cannot get him to return my calls (all calls go to voicemail) or my emails.

Before I ring your contact, even though your fridge ran continuously, did it reach a proper cool temperature (or did it just freeze up)? Also, did you find the turning the thermostat did nothing to stop the fridge running?

Shane

And I would refrain from fitting another fan to replace the in-op one now as having one fan either side of the condenser ....one sucking & one blowing will NOT improve performance of the condenser or refrigerator performance.

G'day Tony.

I would respectfully like to disagree with this statement. When I built my new PC recently. I opted for liquid cooling. The unit I purchased had a fan on one side of the radiator. About a month later the manufacturer of this cooling system released a "new and improved" version with claims of up to six degrees additional cooling of the CPU in a computer. I looked at the info of the "new and improved" model and the only difference that I could see between this unit and the one that I have, is an additional fan fitted to the other side of the radiator.

So, for the princely sum of $19.00, I purchased a fan that matched the spec of the one on the "new and improved" model and lo and behold, I got an extra 6 degrees of cooling at an average working load for my PC. So, fans in a "push me - pull you" configuration do make a difference. Having had success with the computer, I was just about to try it on the Vitfrigio when this topic came up. Unlike the PC, I won't have any objective way of testing whether it makes a difference but I'm sure I will be able to notice whether the duty cycle of the 'fridge changes.

Cheers

Russ

Not a problem Russ you are respectively entitled to your opinion.....there is a fornominame called an Eddy (air) current

ed·dy (d)

n. pl. ed·dies

1. A current, as of water or air, moving contrary to the direction of the main current, especially in a circular motion.

2. A drift or tendency that is counter to or separate from a main current, as of opinion, tradition, or history.

v. ed·died, ed·dy·ing, ed·dies

v.intr.

To move in or as if in an eddy. See Synonyms at turn.

v.tr.

To cause to move in or as if in an eddy.

But I know who's beer will be colder! :rolleyes:

Thanks for this post Alan.

I have the same problem... the fridge runs continuously. I have recently had it repaired by a refrigeration mechanic where he replaced the evaporator and obviously had to re-gas it (the job cost me $600!) but now he has my money I cannot get him to return my calls (all calls go to voicemail) or my emails.

Before I ring your contact, even though your fridge ran continuously, did it reach a proper cool temperature (or did it just freeze up)? Also, did you find the turning the thermostat did nothing to stop the fridge running?

Shane

Hi Shane

Yes it did reach a proper temp and yes turning the thermostat did not did nothing. If the copper pipe is frosting up just where the coupling is about 30cm up from the compressor then your unit will most likely be over gassed. To release some gas you will see a short piece of copper pipe coming out of the compressor with a cap on it, all you do is remove the cap and there is a valve there which is the same as a car tyre valve,push the valve in and count to ten and this should fix the problem. Importantdo this before you switch the fridge on.

PLEASE Alan dont vent your refrigerant to the atmosphere.....I'm NO raving greenie but I have had 30 years in the A/C & refrigeration industry we must respect our environment & not let refrigerants into the atmosphere.

Depress the schrader valve & count to 10.....you got to be kidding .... slowly or quickly do you count?

Next thing the fridge WONT be cycling & not getting cold because there isnt sufficent gas/refrigerant.

PLEASE for the environment & YOUR fridges sake find a decent fridgey!!!!!!!!!!!

Im getting off my soap box now.... no further input

Hi Shane

Yes it did reach a proper temp and yes turning the thermostat did not did nothing. If the copper pipe is frosting up just where the coupling is about 30cm up from the compressor then your unit will most likely be over gassed. To release some gas you will see a short piece of copper pipe coming out of the compressor with a cap on it, all you do is remove the cap and there is a valve there which is the same as a car tyre valve,push the valve in and count to ten and this should fix the problem. Importantdo this before you switch the fridge on.

Thanks very much Alan.

About normal cool temp.... actually, after turning off the fridge on Friday & turning it back on last night, today it is struggling to get down to normal. Currently 9.9 degrees. grrr.

Thermostat... I fitted a new one yesterday. Like your experience, the thermostat can't used to turn off compressor.

The Kedron guys rather carelessly installed the Dometic fridge vents too far to the right. When I remove the bottom vent, I get a lovely clean view of the back of fridge cabinet (RHS as you look at it from outside). All of the compressor/motor/wiring is to the left of the opening and impossible to get my hand in there. more grrr. Using a torch & mirror, I can just see the valve you mention. Looks like I'll have to unscrew the whole fridge and slide it forward.

Jeez this is bloody frustrating. And I suspect there will be more dollars to spend on it yet.

Anybody know a good fridgey in Perth??

• 4 weeks later...

Well we solved the problem with our fridge at a total cost of $120 which was a great relief thanks to our very knowledgeabe Auto Electrician. He felt that it was a power problem and a possible overheating of the compressor unit.He first blew all the dust out of the small radiater unit on the side and also discovered that the cooling fan was not working so a fast build up of heat and the fridge cut out. Because the the fan is in a very awkward spot to get at he fixed a fan on the other side of the radiator or condenser (not sure which is the right name) but voilla and all is well. The fan was a 120mm x 120mm x25 and fitted the fixing holes on the unit exactly.It is an XX-2522 ball bearing unit 12v 60 m/a with a 106cfm air flow @ 3000 rpm.It is very quiet and the fridge temperature is better than its ever been. He did say that if for any reason we need to pull the fridge out that a replacement origonal fan would also be a good option as well. Hope this may be helpful info for consideration of maybe fitting an extra fan to better cool the unit.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,where did you get that fan from as ours has ceased to work & we went to repairer & he is talking thermo fans & possible 100s of $ & will get back to me thanks Neville

Hi Neville

The fan was not a computer fan. I will ask my auto electrician where he got it from and i think it was a sydney wholesaler. I will try for the makers name etc.

Regards geoff

• 2 months later...