increasing your vehicle towing capacity

J Kelly

As a guideline for keeping my loading weights down I stripped the van out and weighed all of the necessities that we need to carry on an average trip.

I committed the weights to a spread sheet which allowed me to get a running load as I proceeded. Finally I came up with a list that will allow my loading to come within the prescribed GVM, provided that the Tare was done accuratley at time of delivery.

Caravan Loading Schedule

Tare 2905....... GVM 3500

Load 552...... Allowable 595....... (available for allocation 43)]

water in HWS 20

water (2 part tanks) 150

gas 40

jerricans 10

fuel 0

deisel in heater 5

Front Boot

ant flap kit 12

hoses 5

BBQ 9

gas bottle 10

ext leads 7

water pump 6

Side boot

Honda generator 21

chainsaw 10

LH Side boot

chairs 10

sullage 5

table 8

camp oven 6

LH shovel 2

buckets etc 8

mt jerricans 9

Under Bed

jack 17

shade panels 16

floor panels 10

wine 11

TV dish 12

Kitchen

pots/pans 6

sundries 10

pantry 12

tin food 14

draw contents 30

Clothing

JK 30

PK 30

linen/bedding 25

bathroom 20

Fridge

(contents will have to come within the 43kg spare)

It would be interesting to see how my loading compares with others.

Regards, JK.

JK.where is your spare 43 kg your total adds to 596kg.Like you said at the beginning as long as your Tare was wright, our van was bought May 2007 17ft6inch internal Topender & we were no where near the Tare. The only way to be sure is to strip it down to Delivery & put it over a Bridge,I believe there is one just north of Kedron.It can be a costly exercise,like we did to our Tug or big Chevy.Regards Neville.

Hi JK,

I think that you need to put the van over a weighstation bridge to find out the reality of it. Otherwise you are wasting your time on calculations. No point in putting off the inevitable as the Transport Inspectors won't be interested in your spreadsheet. Sorry

Chris

Hi JK,

I think that you need to put the van over a weighstation bridge to find out the reality of it. Otherwise you are wasting your time on calculations. No point in putting off the inevitable as the Transport Inspectors won't be interested in your spreadsheet. Sorry

Chris

John,

I am sure you will enjoy the comfort of the Silverado and the knowledge that you no longer have to worry about the weight issues. Will be interested in seeing some photo's when you take delivery.

cheers

Laurie

Hello All,

We are doing the same thing ............. ordering a Silverado that is. It is just to hard working it out otherwise

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I also bought a 2500 Silverado, I had the gvm lowered 50kg by an engineer so it can be driven on a car licence, The dealer organised the gvm decrease, it cost $400.00 to do it. The Chevy is the nicest car/truck I have ever driven..

Cheers Phil

Hi,

I currently tow with 200 Td LC,and have been thinking about a new Silverado,my question is what do you think of the Silverado,and whom did you purchase it through,I have spoken to Performax,American Car sales,and American vehicle sales,they all claim they do the best conversions.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards Laurie Wadman.

Hi All

Origionally I was going to purchase the 2500HD but was told that the New 2011 was 50kg heavier than the previous models & would require a LR Licience. I had heard a few Vehicles had their GVM lowered & therefore could be driven on a C class licience. Not sure if that applies to the new 2011 model.

I had the opportunity to purchase the hew 2011 3500HD at the same price as the 2500Hd, the 3500Hd has heavier running gear which increases the Payload from 1417kg to 1917kg, pushing the GVM to 5218kg, well over the 4500kg limit. The curb weight is only 100kg heavier. The extra weight suited me as I sometimes take a quad bike for beach fishing.

If you do not need the extra payload as both vehicles can tow a trailer up to 5896 KG, I would suggest you purchase a 2500Hd, have the GVM reduced if that is still possible. Not sure how much that reduces the trailer tow capacity but it will certainly still tow any van with ease.

Upgading to a LR means your Greenslips are higher unleass you can register the vehicle through a business. I found the process of taking the test very easy.

Sue & Graham, no the vehicle is a Crewcab standard box 4X4.

Whilst I have not had the opportunity to tow the Topender on any long trips as yet ( heading off to WA in mid Feb for 7 weeks & Cape york in mid august for 7 wks)I concur with Phil & Darlene, the vehicle drives extremely well, leaves my V8 100series for dead..

Std driving, the manufacturer quotes 15 lt per 100km, the vehicle is only 6 wks old, currently getting 14.7lt per 100km.

Phil & Darlene, I would be very interested in what your fuel useage is when towing. It will definately leave the 33lt per 10km Iwas getting from the petrol 100 series.

If anyone would like more info on my experiences when purchasing a chevy please email dhunt@woolworths.com.au & I will be only to happy to respond via email of phone.

Cheers Davidpost-1107-0-63426600-1326757264_thumb.jp

Hope this photo attached correctly

HI David.

I have been looking to purchase a 2500 2011/2012 Silverado,Performax charge $990 for the Gvm to be lowered prior to rego,American vehicle sales in Victoria include it in the price.

This comes to my question I have spoken to Performax,American cars sales,and American vehicle sales they all claim they do the best conversion,however the Victorian companies are approx $15000 cheaper,I would be interested in hearing your experiences and what you think of the Silverado.

Regards Laurie Wadman.

Hi There

I bought a 2500 Silverado from Victorian American Imports in november, Picked it up in Late December and to date we have travelled 14,000 km (currently in Tassie) This truck is amazing, we are towing a 4.5 t van up and down mountains with ease,

I have a mate in Perth who bought one through Performance West in Perth (they buy them from Performax add there bit and sell it on) The conversion is almost identical apart from the placement of the seat heater switches. I think one company makes all the dash assemblies as they look the same (all Fibreglass).

Feel free to call if you want any info

Cheers Phil

Hello All,

Well we have finally sorted our van weight problem ....... we ordered our new 2012 GMC Denali 2500 yesterday and it we should have it in about 8-9 weeks.

After much research about the suppliers (Performax in Qld and American Car Sales & Victorian American Imports both from Vic) we decided to go through Victorian American Imports as He seemed by far the most professional and has been around for over 15 years. The workmanship and look of both Vic companies left Performax for dead plus I have a very trusted friend who has purchased 4 vehs through Vic imports over the last 6 years and recommended them highly.

They are re-rating the GVM down 45kg at no charge also to bring it under the MR reqirements.

After driving the veh, there was no question it is the best way to go as it is a remarkable veh to drive and is only 36mm wider than the Patrol and is actually the same with as the tray on the Patrol which I couldnt beleive and had to measure it a few times to make sure it was right. I was also amazed at the turning circle of it which i had doughts about.

I cant wait now for delivery

Cheers

Hi Laurie

I spent a good 6 months researching all 3, looking at their conversions & talking to owners before I made my decision to go with American vehicle sales in Rowville Victoria. The decision was certainly the right one.

After picking up the vehicle I was so impressed with the conversion, you could not pick a fault.

They do such a professional job.

The vehicle drives exceptionally well with power to boot. Driving around outer sydney I am achiving 14.3 lt 100km.

I have not towed the Topender for any length of time but will be leaving for Perth on saturday for a 7 wk trip.

I purchased the heavier 3500HD crewcab.

The turn circle is not fantastic, but the Vehicle itself rides beautifully, should have purchased one a long time ago.

Would I buy another one throught American Vehicle sales, certainly would.

Just ensure you get everything written down on your quote exactly as agreed & you will have no problems.

mine was $27,600 cheaper than the QLD dealer.

Cheers

If you have any further questions you can call me on 0404 829 230

Hi Laurie

I spent a good 6 months researching all 3, looking at their conversions & talking to owners before I made my decision to go with American vehicle sales in Rowville Victoria. The decision was certainly the right one.

After picking up the vehicle I was so impressed with the conversion, you could not pick a fault.

They do such a professional job.

The vehicle drives exceptionally well with power to boot. Driving around outer sydney I am achiving 14.3 lt 100km.

I have not towed the Topender for any length of time but will be leaving for Perth on saturday for a 7 wk trip.

I purchased the heavier 3500HD crewcab.

The turn circle is not fantastic, but the Vehicle itself rides beautifully, should have purchased one a long time ago.

Would I buy another one throught American Vehicle sales, certainly would.

Just ensure you get everything written down on your quote exactly as agreed & you will have no problems.

mine was $27,600 cheaper than the QLD dealer.

Cheers

If you have any further questions you can call me on 0404 829 230

Thanks for the info looks like I will need to take a trip down to Victoria,it apperas to be a fourth converter I didnt realise Taralgon has two companies doing conversions, yes the Qld dealer price is a tad high however they put doubt in my mind regarding the Victorian companies.Qld claim they are the only company that reproduces the steering box.

Did rowville have the vehicle in stock ?

Hi Laurie

I just want to clarify, I believe there are only two Main chev importers & converters in Vic, American Vehicle Sales in Rowville & American car sales in Traralgon. There are several other small converters that do a very average job. The reason I didn't use the traralgon guy was a personal choice, I just did not trust him in the end, I had trouble getting him to commit to on paper everything we agreed on the phone & in emails.

I chose American Vehicle sales from recommmendations. They convert about 100 vehicles a year, that is there limit.

I think you will find they use a Holden steering box, you need to be careful as others use a chain mechanism & some cut & weld the dashes where American who also convert about another 200 vehicles in Sri Lanka us 3D technology the create mirror image componants, Dash door components etc.

If you are purchasing one with a build in nav system, ensure you get the model that does not have the speaker in the dash as these want work, the others use a Suberu Disc, make sure that the disc is included in the price.

You also have the chioce of a rear view camera, one in the rear view mirror or one in the dash rdio screen that automatically comes on when the enter reverse.

The caravan brake controller is built into the vehicle as a standard item.

They rarely have stock on hand, most of there vehicles are pre ordered they do advertise vehicles on hand but my mate asked me to look at one when I picked mine up, it was sold that day.

Cheers

David

Hi Laurie,

Choosing your preferred supplier for your new truck obviously involves many factors including references from friends or other users as well as your location.

After numerous comprehensive emails from David Hunt outlining his buying experience, I felt more confident with my buying requirements (thanks David).

I chose to buy my Silverado from Performax for a number of reasons; one being that I live only 80km. from their factory and dealership in Gympie.

I am finding that their dealings with me have been very professional.

I have also toured their factory and was suitably impressed. Briefly they operate a production line which gives them an output of 1 vehicle per day of either Silverado, Dodge or GMC.

Their technique of using 3D imaging to produce an injection moulded mirror image of all of the interior mouldings that require changing ensures an exacting interior finish.

Performax also manufacture their own steering box rather than rely on the welded on Holden Colerado box that some others use in their conversion.

I also believe that Performax have a Toyota dealership, stockist in Melbourne to help those that live in the Southern states.

I believe that I got value for money remembering that you get nothing for nothing in this world unless your name is Gillard :rolleyes: .

Regards,

JK.

Hi Laurie,

Choosing your preferred supplier for your new truck obviously involves many factors including references from friends or other users as well as your location.

After numerous comprehensive emails from David Hunt outlining his buying experience, I felt more confident with my buying requirements (thanks David).

I chose to buy my Silverado from Performax for a number of reasons; one being that I live only 80km. from their factory and dealership in Gympie.

I have also toured their factory and was suitably impressed. Briefly they operate a production line which gives them an output of 1 vehicle per day of either Silverado, Dodge or GMC.

Their technique of using 3D imaging to produce an injection moulded mirror image of all of the interior mouldings that require changing ensures an exacting interior finish.

Performax also manufacture their own steering box rather than rely on the welded on Holden Colerado box that some others use in their conversion.

I also believe that Performax have a Toyota dealership, stockist in Melbourne to help those that live in the Southern states.

I believe that I got value for money remembering that you get nothing for nothing in this world unless your name is Gillard :rolleyes: .

Regards,

JK.

Hi Laurie,

Regards,

JK.

Hi John,

I went to performax last week did the factory tour like you I found them very proffessional,and I purchased a vehicle on the day.

As I live on the Gold coast Performax is the closest and I like the warranty compared to the other companies,and the fact that they copy and reproduce the original parts for the conversion,and the all important steering box is an exact copy of the original giving that all important steering feel and turning circle as the original.

Regards LW.

Hello all,

I just wanted to clear up a matter concerning the Victorian dealers. there is actually 2 dealers/importers in Traralgon and they are almost across the road from each other. One is Victorian American Importors and the other is American Car Sales. Both seem very good at what they do and it was hard for us to decide, however Victorian American Importers has been doining it for over 16 years and came highly recommended as the other guy has only been doning it for a couple of years which made me a bit uncertain. in saying that, their workmanship far exceeded Performax.

The other guy in Rowville does all his conversions in India to keep the costs down.

I geuss it is all personal choice really.

cheers

• 4 years later...

Defiantly a can of worms, Qld from the 1st January are now coming down hard on over weight tow vehicles and vans, Dept transport personal have now the power to fine on the spot without the presence of police. Most cruisers have a GVM of 3.3t your van is GVM 3.5t, total allowed on the road combined is 6.8t.

Depending on your tow ball weight eg: 200kgs then your tow vehicle can not be more than 3.1t, does not leave much for loading unless you go for a GVM upgrade on your cruiser to 3.9t, this will give you more for the tow vehicle but less than for your van depending on the weight as you still only have a total GVM of 6.8t.

Hi Gary,

Cruisers (that is you are talking about Landcruiers) don't have a plated GCM, at least my 2008 Sahara doesn't anyway. So in my own situation and having had a Lovels GVM upgrade I believe I have 3.9t (vehicle GVM ) plus 3.5t towing capacity therefore GCM of 7.4t (theoretically anyway because it is not plated).

To take it one step further and assuming a 350kg ball weight then the weight on the combined caravan axle group should not be more than 3.15t fully loaded (vehicle tow capacity 3.5t less 350kg ball weight transferred to the tow vehicle).

Just my thoughts based on my setup.

I hear the worms stirring by the way.......

Regards

John

• Like 1

Hi All,

In Queensland if your vehicle is modified in any way changed fuel carrying capacity or suspension up grade for carrying capacity you have to have a BLUE Plate fitted with this information on other wise it is not legal. Regards to towing if when the Van when it is hooked to car & is weighed & as long as it is 3500 kg or less you are okay as this is classed as the static weight, but bearing in mind when un hooked the van will go over the 3500kg & this is what the Insurance may look at. With the weight of the Vehicle also includes those sitting in it, so drive car only with fuel full onto weigh bridge & get it weighed.

Regards Neville 

Guy  ......... and girls,

I am not sure if everyone does realize that if you increase the gvm of your vehicle, it does not increase your overall gross combination mass capacity(GCM).

The fact is that by doing so means the weight that you can tow decreases. Overall, there is no real benefit.

The only benefit of increasing your vehicle gvm is that your vehicle can carry more if your not towing.

Personally, I don't know how you people with 3.5t tow capacity vehicle and large vans can sleep of a night with all that stress of worrying about what can I put in the van............will I put 1 or 2 knifes and forks in?

I find it a personal challenge to see how much more unnecessary stuff I can get in ................... LOL:P

• Like 2

The unfortunate thing is Steve is that most people out there that are seeking or have had a GVM upgrade to their Land Cruiser to 3.9t have been given the incorrect information regarding what they can tow in relation to the weight and are simply putting their lives are other road users at risk towing an overweight van.  After towing ours with a Disco 4 and having the van driving the car with all of my driving experience and qualifications it was a scary incident and I look back now after towing with the Chev and wonder at the misinformation we are fed.  If I had have known back when we ordered the 21"er to what I know now we might have done things differently.  Three to four hundred kilos over weight when towing with a vehicle with a tow capacity of 3.5t is nearly the equivalent of a semi being three to four tonne over.  Not nice.

Cheers

Merv

• Like 1

When we looked at a replacement vehicle it was a toss up between a twin cab and a 200 series cruiser. The question of GVM upgrade came up and most people will say that you cannot increase GCM.

I first of all rang QLD transport  seeking clarification and followed up with an email. I was told that as there is no GCM rating for the Toyota, the GCM is taken as the GVM of the vehicle and what the towbar was rated at.

If the vehicle has the appropriate mod plate fitted then I would be able to carry the extra weight without effecting the towing capacity.

I subsequently showed the email to Lovells and after a couple of hours of deliberation they said that the transport dept was wrong.

As they pointed out to me there is no name on the bottom of the reply so not too sure how it would stand if you were to go to court.

In the end it was irrelevant as we decided on the twin cab which gave us the extra capacity we needed. (This depends on the tray and canopy chosen)56e63c8e24a3f_20160314_132613(600x800).t  

I am not saying who is correct but if you have a GVM upgrade it may be worth putting the question to the relevant authorities, and make sure you have a name and position of who the respondent is .

Den