Clothes line

Nev and Penny

Nice job.... only trouble is it would be to high for my 'cook' to use so I would have to hang out & retrieve the washing, can you design something that is height adjustable???.... :D

Copy of previous post from Feb 2009 just another way of making a clothes line.

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:43 P

I knocked up this clothes line in 15 minutes at a cost of about $6 all up it fits in the awning arms & under cover, next to the awning roller. It is extremally strong, light & durable. Takes up no room when rolled up & stored in a locker or cupboard.

When Wendy was out of the kitchen, I went to the draw & grabbed an old nylon/poly cutting board.

I then disappeared into the shed with the 'old' board, after measuring the (internal) profile at its widest point of the awning arm from memory approx 6cm. I then cut two strips from the board approx 6cm x 20cm, after cutting the strips,(hacksaw) clean up any swarf or dags with a file or grinder. Then place the two pieces together (in a vice for safety) & drill two 10mm or 3/8 holes, centrally & in from the end by about 3 or 4cm. Once you have done this check the 'strips' for correct fitment in the awning arm. Insert the strip into the open section of the arm at an angle so one side of the strip fits into the widest section/profile of the arm, then let the top edge of the strip 'fall into' the arm. So now the strip is sitting in the awning arm....OK....now lift the strip up squarely & it will 'lock'into the profile of the arm. Then carry out any nescessary triming to the strips, when you are happy the strips fit & lock OK we then thread the required a length of 10mm poly cord through one of the strips then pass one end of the cord through through the other strip & tie a knot in it. The strip with the cord looped through it place it in one of the awning arms & 'lock in' pull the cord through that strip & walk towards the other arm with the other strip & place it in that arm & lock it in, pull on the cord & tighten it, Then hold the cord up to the spare hole in that strip, with the cord tight cut the cord so you will have sufficent cord top pass through the hole & tie a knot in it. Presto....one cheap & very easy clothes line. With these instructions you with end up with two line to hang your clothes, there is no reason why you couldnt cut longer strips & put more holes in the strips, ending up with more lines, but possibly you may have possible problems 'slack & taught' lines making fitting (the strips) in the awning arms difficult. To remove the strips form the arm, press down on one edge of the strip towards the wide profile & the strip will fall out.....to easy.

I suggest you use 10mm or 3/8 poly cord as it will have minimal stretch, also the pegs will have a thighter grip on the clothes.

I hope this is of some assistance.

See you down the road. :thumbsup:

Hi Nev.

Looks good,but would a load of wet washing put a bit of a strain on the awning arms?

Tony how come you get out of hanging out the washing?? :)

Extremely well done Nev.

We purchased a similar pre made jobby several years ago (two lines only).

Yes the arms of the awning do bend with a full load but handle it well.

Well done again and prepare for some orders :D