Aircon

Nev and Penny

Hi All,

We had a 4 day weekend and used the aircon for the first time .

This is only the third time we have got away for a weekend in the new van.

Planing a big trip in July.

The aircon is very noisey. It sounds like you are in a air tunnel.

You could not sleep it us that noisey.

This can not be right ?.

Any ideas.

Nev & Penny

The roof top airconditioner is not as noisy as the system we had in our previous poptop but when everything goes quite at night yes it is noisy. We are pretty used to the background noise of an airconditioner as we have one running for nine months of the year where we live but still my husband can't stand to have a caravan one running in the night as it is too noisy for him. I am deaf in one ear so just lie on the right side and don't hear a thing! :) Much prefer to sleep with the windows open rather than in the airconditioning though.

Sorry probably not much help, more an observation. We are going to have a new airconditioner installed on our van, a lowline one so that we can fit the shed door - hoping that the newest models run quieter :D

Answer 1: When we picked up our van we thought the air con was very noisy. The guys at the Kedron factory said it was normal. During our shakedown trip we had many visitors and they also thought that the air con was noisy. We went back to the factory after the shakedown trip and complained that it was very noisy. They investigated and found that something which was spinning inside the unit was hitting the cowling. A quick adjustment fixed it.

Answer 2: The noise of the fan is considerably louder than you would expect to hear from, say, a split system in a house. It has to be in order to move enough air with a fan compact enough to fit in a pretty small space. So, the noise you are hearing may be quite normal for a caravan air con. Maybe you need to sidle up to a few people in a caravan park and have a listen to theirs for a comparison? One thing I can tell you is that you do become used to the amount of noise that it makes. We actually turn ours on to add "white noise" when we are staying at a caravan park and our "neighbours" are partying. You can't hear the partying over the white noise of the air con.

One night we were parked on the front verge of our Daughter's house. We had the air con on and failed to hear one of our Daughter's drunken mates run over the water meter with her car, nor did we hear the commotion that ensued, nor did we hear the plumber come to try and fix it, nor did we hear the man from the Water Authority come and change the meter! The first thing I knew of it was when I awoke in the morning and noticed all of the water lying around and the shiny new meter sticking up out of the ground. The meter was no more than three metres from the van. I love the noise our airconditioner makes!

Cheers

Russ