towing, landdcruiser v prado

ddetcord49

I recently purchased a 2004 Kedron Enduro tare 1850 GVM 2250kg....I realise that a 100 or 200 series landcruiser 4.5l turbo deisel will tow it easy.

My question is will a 2010 Landcruiser Prado 4cyc turbo deisel tow with good results?

I also know the tow max of the Prado is 2900kg. I don't want to run the guts out of the engine just because it "can" tow it.

Any comments or suggestions are most welcome

If you watch the latest Kedron DVD you will see that the Playdo (Prado :o ) can just about do anything. :D

Cheers

Rick & Lea

The 5 door Prado is rated at 2.5 tonne whereas the 3 door is 3 tonne.

It would be legal IF the actual van weights are the same as what's plated - depends if any extras etc have been added over the years.

However be wary of the injector seal issue of the Prados where the seals leak causing carbon to block the oil pump inlet - could cost you a engine rebuild if it goes unchecked. Toyota in Britian are calling a recall, Toyota NZ now recomend changing injector seals at 45 000km and Toyota Australia are keeping it quiet. Also the latest Prado still has the OLD engine from the previous Prado so is down a fair bit on power and torque compared to a Pajero. Fit a engine chip and exhaust and that should bring it up to acceptable levels.

Cheers

Darryl

thanks Darryl, that pretty much convinces me to go to the 4.5 LC TD...why try to stretch things to the max when you can just go the next step up...looking at a VDJ76 GLX lots of room and grunt...cheers

Makes sense to go up a level as most people end up upgrading their vans to heavier ones.

For the same price as a new 76 series you could get a 2nd hand 200 series which has heaps more grunt due to 2nd turbo, auto and a lot nicer vehicle.

cheers

Darryl

True with the asking prices but most sellers seem to have unrealistic views of what their Cruisers are actually worth - keep an eye on those vehicles and they will probably still be for sale in 6 weeks time so then you offer a realistic price.

Take a 76 for a drive - I did and was underwhelmed with the supposed grunt and they are truck like (no surprise).

It was a new one though and driven around town. Prob be OK as a highway tourer.

If you are only going to tow around 2.3 tonne look at NT/ NW Pajero or Prado and add a chip and exhaust to either and they should do the job fine.

Cheers

Darryl

I recently purchased a 2004 Kedron Enduro tare 1850 GVM 2250kg....I realise that a 100 or 200 series landcruiser 4.5l turbo deisel will tow it easy.

My question is will a 2010 Landcruiser Prado 4cyc turbo deisel tow with good results?

I also know the tow max of the Prado is 2900kg. I don't want to run the guts out of the engine just because it "can" tow it.

Any comments or suggestions are most welcome