Cape Trib. road Nth Qld.

bobflo

Hi to all Koggers !

We are planning to head off in our brand new XC3 up to Cooktown in August this year and had thoughts of travelling along the road from Cape Tribulation through to Wujal Wujal, Helenvale and then on to Cooktown. We have since heard that the road over the Cowie range north of Cape Trib. is pretty steep and is not a good idea to take a heavy caravan over it. Others have said it should be ok as long as the road is dry. Naturally we don't want to be in a situation where we end up being stuck halfway up a steep and narrow road with all the added consequences. The van is being towed with a V6 TDI Touareg which has plenty of grunt.

Can any fellow koggers give some advice or share their experience of doing this stretch of road with a caravan or would it be advisable and obviously safer to get to Cooktown via the Mulligan Highway instead.

Cheers,

Bob and Flo

Hi Bob,

We stayed at Port Douglass for few days then went to Cooktown via the Highway,

I left my van at The Lions Den, it's a great spot,, then just drove the track, much more enjoyable without the van on the back, the road is narrow and steep and long in a lot of places and all I could say whilst driving is " I am glad we don't have the van" there is a lot of traffic in both directions on this road , with not much room for passing on coming traffic,

We enjoyed it more with less stress, and being able to stop and smell the roses along the way , with the van we could not have done that,

Glen

Hi Bob,

We stayed at Port Douglass for few days then went to Cooktown via the Highway,

I left my van at The Lions Den, it's a great spot,, then just drove the track, much more enjoyable without the van on the back, the road is narrow and steep and long in a lot of places and all I could say whilst driving is " I am glad we don't have the van" there is a lot of traffic in both directions on this road , with not much room for passing on coming traffic,

We enjoyed it more with less stress, and being able to stop and smell the roses along the way , with the van we could not have done that,

Glen

Thanks for the feedback Glen, have heard about the Lion's Den and was told it is a top spot. On the basis of what you have said, we most likely will listen to your advice.

Cheers,

Bob

Hello Bob,

My understanding is that the Blomfield Track, as it is known, is signed "No Caravans". While I would love to do it, I have not taken my caravan through there for that reason. It is one of my "local roads" and is a great drive. Also, note that the Gall Boys have not taken a van through there either despite their numerous trips up here.

I am sitting in Tullamarine Airport as I write this but I note that it has been raining back home over the past couple of days. The Bloomfield may well be a handful if it is wet and you have a van on the back.

The better option is to go inland to the Lion's Den, unhitch and take a day to drive to Cape Trib and back.

Regards

Colin

Hello Bob,

My understanding is that the Blomfield Track, as it is known, is signed "No Caravans". While I would love to do it, I have not taken my caravan through there for that reason. It is one of my "local roads" and is a great drive. Also, note that the Gall Boys have not taken a van through there either despite their numerous trips up here.

I am sitting in Tullamarine Airport as I write this but I note that it has been raining back home over the past couple of days. The Bloomfield may well be a handful if it is wet and you have a van on the back.

The better option is to go inland to the Lion's Den, unhitch and take a day to drive to Cape Trib and back.

Regards

Colin

Thanks for the advice Colin......we will do just that, unhitch at Lions Den and do the day trip to Cape Trib.

Hi to all Koggers !

We are planning to head off in our brand new XC3 up to Cooktown in August this year and had thoughts of travelling along the road from Cape Tribulation through to Wujal Wujal, Helenvale and then on to Cooktown. We have since heard that the road over the Cowie range north of Cape Trib. is pretty steep and is not a good idea to take a heavy caravan over it. Others have said it should be ok as long as the road is dry. Naturally we don't want to be in a situation where we end up being stuck halfway up a steep and narrow road with all the added consequences. The van is being towed with a V6 TDI Touareg which has plenty of grunt.

Can any fellow koggers give some advice or share their experience of doing this stretch of road with a caravan or would it be advisable and obviously safer to get to Cooktown via the Mulligan Highway instead.

Cheers,

Bob and Flo

Bob & Flo,Bloomfield Track has sign no Vans (no Insurance if you are unfortunate to have accident) track is narrow in places & a lot of tourists travell to fast on it & a lot of the corners are blind it is a good trip but just be carefull.We live in Cooktown .Neville

Hi Neville,

Thanks for info. Appreciate the advice as it is difficult to know all about the roads in the bush even after reading books and mags about the district. Local knowledge is just invaluable and no doubt can save a lot of hassles. We hope to be in Cooktown abt 3rd week in August. Would be nice to say g'day to you Neville when we are there.

Cheers,

Bob