Drawer/Door/Cupboard Latches - Southco

Alan and Jayne

G'day all

We've just arrived back in Broome off the Cape Leveque Road to find we have broken another latch on our knives & fork drawer. Everytime we hit corrugations this particular knob breaks. We've done about 5 or 6 so far.

It's only ever this drawer.

Does anyone have a solution for these latches? Maybe a replacement that actually doesn't break? Or is that asking too much?

Cheers

Alan

G`Day Alan & Jane

Try Deb`s fix first especially in cutlery drawer, and if that doesn`t work try this one.It was done by Kedron about 3yrs ago and we have not had drawer problem since. I will attempt to put in piccies of fix.

Cheers

Rick & Lea

post-108-0-09633700-1341707432_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-28098700-1341707457_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-53666100-1341707476_thumb.jpg

Hi Ann,

That sounds like a voice/advice of experiance ;) .... which I agree with as it it works for me as well...... but I just usually sit the cutlery draw in the middle of the bed & to date it hasnt moved (hope I havent jinxed myself) :rolleyes:

Regards & hugs to you & Sue!!

Hi Tony,

Yes, it worked for us as we had a similar problem when travelling in WA, especially the Gibb River Road. The drawer stayed on the bed no problems and just put a towel or something on top, similar to what Deb said.

Our regards and hope all is well with you too Tony. We are up near Calliope and its been raining for about a week now *sigh*. (Still, beats working !!). :rolleyes:

Hi Alan,

I had the same problem last year while travelling from Birdsville to Innamincka, I solved the problem by removing the tongue from the lock and placing 2 small washers between the cupboard and the tongue under each screw and resetting to a perfect fit when the draw is closed with no movement, problem appears solved with no further broken locks since then, similarly with the fridge, I got an old plaastic hotel room card, cut it to the shape of the lock and packed the lock out from the door, in this case required two layers but solved the problem of needing to strap the fridge door closed while in transit.

I have subsequently gone through and changed all the drawers the same way. Seems from the factory the tongue only just catches the top of the lock placing to much stress on the lock in harsher conditions and the adjustment of the tongue to the lock seemed to have a small amount of slop, allowing drawer movement wile in transit.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John