Top Ender or ATV2

Bondi and Jenny

Hi,

We are looking to purchase an off road van for going prospecting and an extended trip around Australia.

We have looked at other off road vans and keep coming back to Kedron.

Jenny and I have in the past month visited the factory and seen the quality of the product and the way they produce a quality van the staff there are great and very help full.

Could the members of the KOG please give me some help. I am swinging towards the Top Ender but would like some comments from the members if they feel that it is worth the extra money spent compared to the ATV2.

We look forward to comments from those who have been there.

Thank you

Bondi and Jenny

Hi,

We are looking to purchase an off road van for going prospecting and an extended trip around Australia.

Jenny and I have in the past month visited the factory and seen the quality of the product and the way they produce a quality van the staff there are great and very help full.

Could the members of the KOG please give me some help. I am swinging towards the Top Ender but would like some comments from the members if they feel that it is worth the extra money spent compared to the ATV2.

Thank you

Bondi and Jenny

Hi Bondi and Jenny, if you are going to a 19 ft 6 version then the extra weight of the Top Ender may be worth considering, that is if you are towing with a cruiser. If you have a F250 or a larger tug then the weight wont be a problem. Kedron will increase gvm if you have a tow vehicle capable of pulling the extra weight. If you go shorter than 19 ft 6 then weight probably wont be a problem.

Den and Col

Hi Bondi & Jenny,

We considered both when ordering our second Kedron (18' 6" internal) and decided on the ATV2 with an extended draw bar. We have a LC TD100 and did not want to change vehicles. The ATV is a strong build too and as Den & Col point out the weight will be the main issue depending on how much gear you want to take with you as well.

Previously we had a 2004 XC with ATV axels and leaf suspension and we took it across the Gibb River Road, out to Tom Price, Sandstone, Leonora and a lot of dirt roads without any worries. The new XC3 is a bit different and lighter to the original XC so we went the ATV2 this time - with a heater and auto Sat TV. No complaints here.

Hi,

Thank you

Bondi and Jenny

We go everywhere!! anywhere!! with out 17 " ATV [extended drawbar]. 6 years old and tow with a Range Rover [oldish]2006 [think so, year I mean] sorry I am not the mechanic ,I just get in...!! ps Frank delivers [with the R.R.]all types of vans all ages, all sizes ,all over Oz and reckons Kedron is tops.. to tow, etc etc.

Hi Bondi and Jenny

We have had our 21ft Top Ender for about 2 months and, whilst we love it, I kind of wish we had purchased the ATV instead. This is our first caravan. I now realise now that I will never venture into situations where the extra ruggedness of the chassis of the TE over the ATV will be needed. Advantages of an ATV are, in my view, less weight, less price and 3 inches wider. The TE has leather upholstery and this is an optional extra for the ATV. I also got matching 17" Land Cruiser wheels for the van. I'm not sure whether this option (17" wheels) is available on the lower ATV.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

Hi,

Thank you

Bondi and Jenny

• 3 months later...

Hi Bondi and Jenny

We have had our 21ft Top Ender for about 2 months and, whilst we love it, I kind of wish we had purchased the ATV instead. This is our first caravan. I now realise now that I will never venture into situations where the extra ruggedness of the chassis of the TE over the ATV will be needed. Advantages of an ATV are, in my view, less weight, less price and 3 inches wider. The TE has leather upholstery and this is an optional extra for the ATV. I also got matching 17" Land Cruiser wheels for the van. I'm not sure whether this option (17" wheels) is available on the lower ATV.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

Hi, this is our first post and I hope I get it right!

Agree with Geoff: We also have a 21' TopEnder which we tow with our LC100TD. We've had it 6 months and love it. No problems towing it with the Landcruiser, but we have to watch our weight and what we put into it very carefully. If I was doing it again, like Geoff I'd go with the same size ATV for the rreasons he mentions. I also have the 17" LC wheels on the TE and this is a significant advantage. The leather interior would be hard to go away from too! Either way, you won't be disappointed - they're all great vans.

Let us all know what you finally choose - or chose.

Andrew

Bondi and Jenny,

TE or ATV is obviously a personal choice dictated by whatyou value. For my money I would stick with the ATV and use your savings onoptioning up the unit, a diesel heater, Sat TV finder on the roof, a rightsized 240V inverter. And if you are going prospecting in the back blocksperhaps an extra water tank, a sat phone and snake bite kit!

I presume you have your prospecting gear if not a decentsetup will on its own set you back $8 to $10k.

Grahame

Guy's even a 21' ATV will be very hard to keep within legal tow weights for anything smaller than a Chev or Effy.lots of home work required on your part.

Guys,

Just go the TE and buy a GMC/Chev and all your troubles will be gone............................... its no good being the richest guys in the cemetry.

If your not living on the edge ................ your taking up too much room

Bondi & Jenny,

Close your eyes and pick one! They are all great. Gayleen and I often contemplate what we would change if we had our time again. The answer.....nothing.

Regards

Colin