Radio Aerial

Dunmowin

Does anyone have issues with the standard flexible rubber radio aerial that kedron fit on their vans? We have found in areas of "vague" reception, that ours is of no use at all, whereas, the aerial on the 4WD works fine. Any ideas on replacement or alternative?

Hi,

I am experiencing exactly the same problems/dramas as you with radio reception with the Kedron std fit radio aerial.

On several occasions I have spoken to Tom & Dave at the factory re an upgrade of this antenna..... but to no avail :(

In fact it was only very recently the subject came up again as my van is currently at the factory getting a 'new side' due to a recent indiscretion with a steel fence post (thats another story).... as this would have been a good time to upgrade the aerial.

I can see the benefit of having the flexible aerial as it doesn't get damaged easily when brushing up against a low hanging tree branch.

I have slightly improved the performance of my aerial by 'undoing' a steel coathanger.... coiling one end of it & slipping/pushing it over the aerial.....

'Next time' around when I build a new van, I will look at the probability of having an auto retracting unit fitted (automotive style) as I don't believe this could be an item that could be retrofitted easily in an 'old' van.

Hi Dunmowin

We have done the same as Tony except using thinner wire (it is easier on the fingers to twist) :wacko: It made a small difference ,but going with the retracting aerial sounds like the way to go. I believe Rod & Mavis had one fitted in there Kedron but I don`t know how it went.

Cheers

Rick & Lea

We would have to agree. The aerial is pathetic. Unfortunatly we didn't find out how bad it is until we got into the outback. It will be the first thing I will be changing when we get back to a larger town ................. god knows when that will be. I will try the coat hanger trick in the mean time