The Outback Way

Tolley

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! That is well done Andrew and Sally. I will gather that and keep it. A bit of fun, eh!

We are in Broome. Had a couple of great sunsets with Jane and Grant on Cable beach. See pics attached.

Yes, let's ensure we keep in touch.

Colin and Gayleen.

Well done.

We are at the bottom of the Yorke Peninsula at Kemp Beach, it's blowing a gale and cold; but nice and warm with the diesel heater on as we watch sat TV.

Travel safe everyone.

Peter and Margaret

Hi all I'm doing the outback way in early august any tips susuggestions greatly appreciated thanks

Jayson, my apologies for not responding sooner.

The advice from Chris is spot on. If you scroll back through this thread you will find all the planning documents we used. Generally they are attached as pdf's. Please use them if they are of use to you.

My only direct advice is "just do it". It is a good trip and you will love it.

BTW, what sort of a rig do you have?

Regards

Colin

Jayson, my apologies for not responding sooner.

The advice from Chris is spot on. If you scroll back through this thread you will find all the planning documents we used. Generally they are attached as pdf's. Please use them if they are of use to you.

My only direct advice is "just do it". It is a good trip and you will love it.

BTW, what sort of a rig do you have?

Regards

Colin

Landcruiser 200 turbo diesel sahara and a jayco expanda outback

OK, I don't know anything bout the Jayco Expanda Outback but, as always, take it easy.

Colun

Thanks for all the planning info much appreciated, what was the road conditions like and what tyres does your rig run as I will be purchasing new ones before leaving and what pressures where you running on rig and van thanks

Thanks for all the planning info much appreciated, what was the road conditions like and what tyres does your rig run as I will be purchasing new ones before leaving and what pressures where you running on rig and van thanks

Hello Jayson,

First, let me stress that I am no expert in anything to do with this matter. I happen to enjoy off-road caravaning. I, like you, learn something new about this subject just about every day. Please take my words below in that context.

One of the things I have learnt over time is that generally my vision of rough or smooth is different to everyone else's opinion. I think that applies to everyone. As a group we found the roads to be good but we encountered other travellers who told us how bad they were. Like all dirt roads you will find some good, some bad and some indifferent surfaces. Overall, our group found the roads to be good.

If you want to start a conversation among people like us, just mention tyres. All I would suggest for off-road work is that the tyre is an LT which stands for Light Truck. Other than that it is a personal preference as to make. I run Mickey Thompsons on both the Landcruiser and the van. I was the only one doing so in our group. Incidentally we had 80 tyres on the ground and only one puncture and that was a tyre that was not an LT variety.

Pressures are also a personal thing. I think you can tell if your tyres are too high or too low through the seat of your pants otherwise known as your bum. In our group everyone did their own thing on pressures. We all deflated for the dirt and re inflated once we hit the blacktop again. Mine? I ran 35 psi on Landcruiser front wheels and the caravan and 40 psi on LC rear wheels. I'll be running the same next week on the Gibb River Road. Everyone else in our group were probably different to my pressures. I am a bit anal on this matter but I do my pressures early in the morning when the tyres are as cold as they will be all day. I then know that my starting point is accurate.

I suggest you stop on the hour every hour and do a walk around of your rig and an internal van inspection. It is good to have a break in any case.

One last thing. please note that all our rigs were Kedrons and all towed by 100 or 200 series Landcruisers. Kedron caravans are specificaly designed and tested for off road work. Even so, we had the odd and not so odd issue. You, too, should expect to find some issues especially if your van is new as it will have teething problems. I hope the foregoing is useful to you.

Travel safely and have a ball.

Regards

Colin

Hi Jayson

Further to Tolley's post (which I totally support) most of our vans are still using the original Goodyear Wranglers (Light Truck) that Kedron fitted as standard. Like Colin, I will be replacing both car and van tyres with Mickey Thompsons (LT) when the time comes.

I ran my pressures (cold, early morning) as follows with good performance and a comfortable ride:

ROAD: Dirt (up to 80kph) CAR FRONT: 28 CAR REAR & VAN: 32

ROAD: Bitumen CAR FRONT 40 CAR REAR & VAN: 45

These pressures increased by around 5psi as the tyres warmed up. Suggest you also check with the van manufacturer for their recommendations. As Colin says, everyone has their own view on this subject so don't be surprised if you get lots of different advice!

One area you might need to watch is ground clearance of the van - perhaps use the Landcruiser as a rough guide.

Travel safe, take it easy and have a great trip. Ours was just fantastic.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jayson

I and a few of the others only took them off on the 4WD Binns Track (East Macs) due to some steep creek crossing entries and exists, and dips. Others left them on without problems.

Like Webby, as far as I'm aware all of us left them on for the entire rest of the trip.

Regards

Andrew

Hello Jayson,

Ben in the boondocks for a bit so I am late in responding. Webby and Andrew have accurately reported that he Torsion Bars were used exclusively across the centre. Most took them off for the Binns Track except one of the group. Nev never takes them off!!

Two of us have just completed the Gibb River Road and we both did that with the WDH torsion bars fitted.

It is you choice. I take them off whenever the rig is about to be subjected to a lot of articulation.

Regards

Colin

We have been through some extremely rough places over the years with the present van as well as our first Kedron, an ATV. We have never taken the WDH bars off i guess if going down some steep and rough track we might consider it but so far have not seen the need to do so. Val says as we don't have ours too tight, it would require really bad articulation for him to remove them.

Over the years I have asked other offroaders if they take them off in any conditions, and have always been told that they are left on.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Ten Kedrons and ten Landcruisers on our trip. This is the Toyota "nothing soft gets in" TVC we spoke about on the trip: http://m.youtube.com...v%3DisC32ev4Lw4

I understand it was made as a joke by their agency, but I saw a short version to air during an AFL final game in 2009 and it was also run once as a print ad in one of the outdoor magazines.

Anyone still out there or are we all home now?

Andrew

1375444824' post='10383']

Ten Kedrons and ten Landcruisers on our trip. This is the Toyota "nothing soft gets in" TVC we spoke about on the trip: http://m.youtube.com...v%3DisC32ev4Lw4

I understand it was made as a joke by their agency, but I saw a short version to air during an AFL final game in 2009 and it was also run once as a print ad in one of the outdoor magazines.

Andrew

Hi Andrew & Sal

We have been home for 8 days now and have spent 6 of those trying to get the van clean. Nowhere near where we want it to be yet. Have not even started on the cruiser yet. We have stripped the van of everything that can be removed on the outside and today all the curtains were washed. Need to get as much done as possible over the next week as it goes to Brendale for a service and to have those repairs done. I think Greg has bought every cleaning product known to man in an effort to get it clean. If it had just not rained on that last travel day it would have been a lot easier but as you have also probably discovered it is like trying to remove cement. Even the gurney won't blow it off. Hope you guys are well and all the family things are now sorted.

Cathy & Greg

Hi Greg and Cathy

I can understand the cleaning issue, if it wasn't for that bit of rain we would have been fine.

After trying everything else on the chassis, I tried Shower Power on our ATV for two, it worked. I went through about 8 bottles, leave on as long as possible, soaking the mud, then Gernie off. What doesn't come off is imbedded in the galvanising and will need a wire brush to remove. Ours come up almost as new.

Happy cleaning.

Pete

Trying to clean your chassis & exterior click on this link.......
/>http://www.kedronownersgroup.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1852&st=0&p=9138&hl=+oxalic%20+acid&fromsearch=1&#entry9138

Oxalic acid is FANTASTIC !!!!!

Hi Andrew & Sally,

We're now at Kingaroy having spent the last 5 days camping at Lake Broadwater (near Dalby) with Maureen's brother and his wife. Great place and the weather was superb. Yesterday we drove to Tara to see the Camel and Yabby races. It was great fun and we couldn't believe how many people were camped there for the 3 day event. Sadly we will arrive home tomorrow to face the big clean-up.

Cheers

John & Maureen

Good luck with that cleanup John and Maureen. I have started polishing the checkerplate back to new. It takes quite a long time and I do a section each day.

Here is a pic of the front. I have left the boot lids unpolished for this photo to show the difference. They are clean, but just imbedded with "Pilbara Red".

I'm impressed with the end result. Will attack the A frame with some Shower Power or Diggers Rust and Stain Remover (from Bunnings) down the track.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to use on the stone bra?

post-1-0-78583600-1375594286_thumb.jpg

Andrew

We are at Kununurra making our way to Darwin via what ever looks good

Nev & Penny

Hello All,

We arrived home this afternoon after a wonderful trip. We parted company with Jane and Grant at 40 Mile Scrib

North of the Lynd. We headed north to Cairns and Jane and Grant headed south to Charters Towers. We have not always travelled with J and G but we kept joining up for joint sessions together. It has been great. Now facing the cleaning bit!!!!!!

Regards to all

Colin and Gayleen