Tolley

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Koggers,

In relation to the Outback Way trip, I am planning on leaving Cairns on 1 June. It is nearly 1000 km to Winton from here so it takes me the best part of three days to get to Winton. It would therefore be on or about 5 June that I head to Boulia along the Outback Way.

I have begun my research having just taken delivery of the HEMA Outback Way book. I have also reviewed my log on my travels on dirt roads to the Cape and across the Gibb River Road and Savannah Way. From those trips I think it is best to plan on doing only 200 km a day if the gravel roads are reasonable and about 150 km if they are bloody rough! These distances also allow time for a bit of sightseeing, photography, geocashing or what ever. And, we must remember that it is not a race but a journey and that it is the journey that counts.

So, the little outline plan that I put in this thread on 27 Nov 12 might be stretched by a day or two.

The more I read the more excited I get.

Kind regards

Colin

Colin

Hello Again,

I have had an enquiry as to whether or not non Kedron owning caravanners would be welcome on this trip. The answer is a big YES!

This trip is not an official KOG Trip or Gathering. If it were, non Kedron Owners would not be welcome. Gayleen and I just want to do the trip while we are able and I thought it might be fun and safer to do it in company with others who are like minded.

BTW, there is an organization that promotes and manages the Outback Way and they are pushing and getting support to completely seal the road! Gotta do it while it is still a bit of a challenge!

Regards

Colin

Hello Collin,

I also would love to do this trip with you.Not sure if the timing is right just yet.

When will you need final numbers re.organising permits etc.

Regards Noel.

Hello Noel,

Welcome! Final numbers are not needed for some time. I do not have any experience with getting permits from the communities etc in central Oz. I will make some enquiries and find out. There will come a time, lets say March or early April, when I would need a commitment.

Keep a watch on this thread and we will see how things develop.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

Now that you're talking our speed (150-200km) per day we would love to join your trip. We would plan to link up with you at Winton. As others say it's a bit early to commit 100% but unless something untoward happens we'll definitely be there. Congratulations on your decision to invite others to join your trip to WA via the short cut!

Hi Colin,

Now that you're talking our speed (150-200km) per day we would love to join your trip. We would plan to link up with you at Winton. As others say it's a bit early to commit 100% but unless something untoward happens we'll definitely be there. Congratulations on your decision to invite others to join your trip to WA via the short cut!

Hello Mayzee and Welcome!

I do not recall why, in my post of 27 Nov that I suggested 467 km in a day from Boulia to Jervois. Sheesh! Gayleen and I like maximum 350 km a day on sealed highway conditions. The purpose of doing this trip is to experience the desert in all its beauty. It is a journey, not a race. And, we have to allow time for the geocachers to do their stuff!

Tobermoreylia is now open again, well...it was this year....and it, or near there, would seem to be a sensible stop. Boulia to Tobermoreylia is 252 km. Mayzee, what I propose is to develop a plan that I will send to all who have expressed interest for comment. I know that that can be an administrative nightmare but it is important for all to be comfortable with the outline plan. I say 'outline' as we may have to alter our plans from time to time due to external circumstances such as weather, road conditions etc.

Well Mayzee, thank you for your interest.

Regards

Colin

Thanks Collin,

I'm realy looking forward to this trip.

Trust me I will be keeping watch.

Noel.

Evo, I have started looking at the permits situation. In the Ngaannyatjarra Lands (get your tounge around that!) there is a difference between getting a permit for a single vehicle and a group of caravans. The former can be done by approval at the Ngaannyatjarra Council office in Alice Springs whereas, for the latter, the application must be made "well in advance" as they can only be approved at the monthly Ngaannyatjarra Council meetings. I will investigate further.

BTW, the Ngaannyatjarra lands extend from Uluru to Laverton. I have not looked at the NT permits for the Plenty Highway, as yet. I still have a business to run!

Regards

Colin

I do not have any experience with getting permits from the communities etc in central Oz. I will make some enquiries and find out. Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

These links will help you with the permits. These cannot be taken out as a "group". Each vehicle planning to do the crossing will need to take out the permits. Make sure that you read all of the information on the permits. There are some onerous provisions, such as not taking photographs

6. This Permit does not authorise the permit holders to discharge a firearm or take photographs while on Aboriginal land.
and only camping at approved campsites.

WA side: WA side of Grt Central Rd: select "GOLDFIELDS - Grt Central Rd, Laverton to NT border,3 or more days crossing Aboriginal Lands"

NT side: NT (Central Land Council) side

If you have these permits, you can show them at the gatehouse at Uluru and the entry fee is waived, however, you must not stop at "the rock" itself if you take up the option of not paying the entry fee. If you do wish to have a good look at "the rock", then the fee of $25.00 is a small impost.

Cheers

Russ

Russ,

Thanks for that advice and information. Very helpful.

Have you departed from your piece of paradise yet? I am disappointed that if we head north in WA after crossing the desert we will not be able to call in and see you at Cossack!

Merry Christmas to you and Sue.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

We leave on the 21st Dec. At this stage we have not given our notice, but if we find jobs while on leave, then we will be finishing up. You can bet that we will find work at some "out of the way" place that Gayleen , yourself and the furries will most likely want to visit at some stage. We have applied for a job at the Birdsville Hotel.....

Many thanks for the Christmas wishes and the same from us to you.

Cheers

Russ

Hi, the permits are quite easy to obtain. You do it on line and the reply is instant, you just need a printer to print them. You need one for each vehicle and they are free. We travelled west to east and no one asked to see the permits. The only people we saw was at the road houses when we refuelled. We had already stopped at Uluru to take the photos etc by the time we arrived at Yulara. As we had no intention of climbing or walking around the rock so we put the $25each towards a helicopter flight to view it from the air. Some of the designated camp areas are disgusting so we just found spots well off the road in the bush. I'm enjoying the posts and reliving the trip.

Sandra

Hi, the permits are quite easy to obtain. You do it on line and the reply is instant, you just need a printer to print them. You need one for each vehicle and they are free. We travelled west to east and no one asked to see the permits. The only people we saw was at the road houses when we refuelled. We had already stopped at Uluru to take the photos etc by the time we arrived at Yulara. As we had no intention of climbing or walking around the rock so we put the $25each towards a helicopter flight to view it from the air. Some of the designated camp areas are disgusting so we just found spots well off the road in the bush. I'm enjoying the posts and reliving the trip.

Sandra

Hello Sandra and thank you for your advice.

How sad it is to read that some of our fellow countrymen and countrywomen leave our beautiful landscape in a mess. In our travels we have encountered similar sad circumstances.

Sandra, if we had a group of vans travelling together, would it be easy or difficult to find suitable overnight camp spots large enough to accommodate the group?

Any advice comments you have will be appreciated.

Seasons greetings to you. I hope Santa is kind to you.

Regards

Colin

There was a good discussion over on Caravaners Forum on the Great Central Road: see http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=31803&p=465125&hilit=great+central+road#p465125

There will be other material there too. Given the number of members on that forum there is always a wealth of information to be obtained. All we need to do is ask, and a heap of folk would pop in with advice. Some of it is sound, too! :)

Chris

Hi Colin,

Your trip sounds like a wonderful idea. Lynn and I are planning to wonder westward around that time next year and would like to express our interest in being part of the convoy.

Regards

Chris

Hi All,

We travelled the GCR in May/June of last year - W to E - Laverton to Uluru. Acquiring the appropriate permits was a bit of a nuisance but interestingly, the aboriginal lady at the DIA in Perth explained that she too required a permit to travel that road because she was of a different mob. She also explained that although the permit requires that the journey be completed in three days, it could take longer if one had a 'breakdown' (wink,wink) but this would be more difficult if there were a whole convoy involved. Our permits were never checked...

We camped at the roadhouses but have spoken to others who camped elsewhere and we're a bit sorry we weren't a bit more adventurous. We found the road to be well within the standard 'off road' road conditions expected but the more than 150 motor vehicle wrecks along the way indicate that there are pitfalls for the unwary. So, drive to the conditions as always. Passing the occasional roadtrain is always interesting. Only one puncture and that occurred when pulling into a roadhouse to top up with fuel and a wayward nail did the damage. Not all the dips are well signposted - one really surprised us! I suggest not relying on the lockable (only) pins used to retain the drawbar and always ensure you have one with an R clip as well!

The 'desert' was in wonderful condition following the rains earlier in the season - the flowers, birds and wildlife in general were exceptional. Biggest camels I'd ever seen! The Giles Weather Station was a highlight not to be missed.

Cheers

Brian

There was a good discussion over on Caravaners Forum on the Great Central Road: see http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=31803&p=465125&hilit=great+central+road#p465125

There will be other material there too. Given the number of members on that forum there is always a wealth of information to be obtained. All we need to do is ask, and a heap of folk would pop in with advice. Some of it is sound, too! :)

Chris

Thanks for the link Chris. I will have a search on it. Sorry for not responding sooner but I have been away for a couple of days.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

Your trip sounds like a wonderful idea. Lynn and I are planning to wonder westward around that time next year and would like to express our interest in being part of the convoy.

Regards

Chris

Hello Chris,

Thanks for you interest...you are on the list :D

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

We would like to do this trip .

Sounds like you have a few going,room for one more?

Put our name on the list.

Nev & Penny

Nev and Penny...you are on! :D

Regards

Colin

Hello Everyone,

I have been reviewing this thread to ensure I have not missed any questions, suggestions and interests. In the process I decided to complile a list of those who have shown interest be it mild interest or strong interest. The list is as follows:

Tolley Colin & Gayleen - TE - 100 Series LC

Webby Sue & Ann - ATV2 - 100 Series LC (joining in Alice)

Andrew & Sarah - TE - 100 Series LC

The Nuts Eric and Lesley - XC

Tony H Tony & Ann - ATV - 200 Series LC

Chris Chris & Val - TE - 200 Series LC

Evo Noel - ATV

Mayzee - John & Maureen ATV - 200 Series LC

Chris and Lynn - TE - 200 Series LC

Nev & Penny - ATV

One non-Kedron owner, known to The Nuts and other KOG members, whomay be watching this thread.(joining in Alice)

There is eleven on the list at present. I expect that number to fluctuate. If you wish to be added to or deleted from this list please PM me.

There is still some time to go but it is going to be 2013 in a minute. So, it is time to start getting reasonably serious about organizing and preparing. Before too long I will attach a form that I will get those interested to fill out. The form will essentially be about contact details, both email and telephone and other bits that I will beed for organizing things.

Santa comes in nine days so it is time for me to wish all my fellow KOGers and their families a very Merry Christmas and every success and good luck for the New Year.

Regards

Colin

Hello Colin and fellow Koggers,

Yes, there were a few areas big enough for eleven plus vans behind bushes etc but I really can't remember where as we were only interested in finding ourselves a suitable area to pull up for the night. The best caravan park we saw was at the Warakurna road house. We did not stay there but used the toilets at the park. This is the best place to stay if you want to see Giles weather station which we found interesting.

I agree with Brian about the dips and more dips, plus more dips. Like Brian said, there were plenty of wrecks by the roadside but I think most were 2WD cars and a couple of Hi-ace type vans.

We are off tomorrow in our van to spend a few days at Burrum Heads before the Christmas rush and to do a spot of fishing. Won't be a long trip as we live just out of Hervey Bay.

Merry Christmas and have a safe one.

Clive and Sandra

Hello,

Yesterday I missed one couple, Stewart & Carol, who have expressed an interest in the trip. My apologies, Stewart and Carol :wub:

The list now stands as follows.

Tolley – Colin & Gayleen - TE - 100 Series LC

Webby – Sue & Ann - ATV2 - 100 Series LC (joining in Alice)

Andrew & Sarah - TE - 100 Series LC

The Nuts – Eric and Lesley - XC

Tony H – Tony & Ann - ATV - 200 Series LC

Chris – Chris & Val - TE - 200 Series LC

Evo – Noel - ATV

Mayzee - John & Maureen – ATV - 200 Series LC

Chris and Lynn - TE - 200 Series LC

Nev & Penny - ATV

Stewart and Carol

One non-Kedron owner, known to The Nuts and other KOG members, whomay be watching this thread.(joining in Alice)

Regards

Colin