The Outback Way

Tolley

Hello Everyone,

Please see attached our planned itinerary for our Outback Way trip in June. This is Edition 4 which shows a change of destination on our last day from Laverton to Leonora.

Regards

Colin

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please see attached our planned itinerary for our Outback Way trip in June. This is Edition 4 which shows a change of destination on our last day from Laverton to Leonora.

It is looking good Colin. Very neatly presented and easy to read.

And of course the time is getting closer now. I have organised our permits (which was easily done on the internet) and checked our booking at Ayres Rock campground (it was there!).

We will be joining the group at ARCG on 10 June (probably camping the night before back at a free camp just 50 or 60 kms West of Curtin Springs (CAW6 site 71, as we will be coming in from the West Macdonnells via the Mereenie Loop.

Chris

Hello,

The Outbabk Way spare wheel covers have arrived! They look great. I fitted mine immediately after taking delivery from the post office. Never had one before. Very pleased with it.

If any of those who ordered one have not received theirs please let me know.

Regards

Colin

Hello Andrew,

Naah! Stick it on now showing your future intentions not the past!

You had better start negotiating hard as it is only 88 days to go!

Colin

Hello Greg,

They look great. I have mine on my Landcruiser.

BTW, and on another subject. Due to recent events I had to have my Landcruiser re-locked, re-keyed and re-clackered. The locksmiths say it is an easy job. Cost? $650! Don't lose your keys!!

Regards

Colin

Hello Everyone,

Back on 8 Feb 13 I published a comment in this thread that contained an attachment called Handy Trip Information. It contained advice that is was illegal to carry unleaded petrol fuel into aboriginal lands and to do so atttracted serious penalties. John,(John and Ann) sent me a PM the other day questioning the source of my information as he could not find reference to the illegalities etc. It was a good question and I searched for my source without luck. So, I emailed the GM of the Outback Way who in turn put the quetion to the Mayor and CEO of the Shire of Ngaanyatjarraku. To his knowledger it is not an offence but there are some common sense rules. They are described in the attached flyer.

I have amended the Trip Info flyer and the amended copy, Edition 3, is attached.

My apologies if my earlier advice caused anyone any inconvienience.

Regards

Colin

Hello Everyone,

Back on 8 Feb 13 I published a comment in this thread that contained an attachment called Handy Trip Information. It contained advice that is was illegal to carry unleaded petrol fuel into aboriginal lands and to do so atttracted serious penalties. John,(John and Ann) sent me a PM the other day questioning the source of my information as he could not find reference to the illegalities etc. It was a good question and I searched for my source without luck. So, I emailed the GM of the Outback Way who in turn put the quetion to the Mayor and CEO of the Shire of Ngaanyatjarraku. To his knowledger it is not an offence but there are some common sense rules. They are described in the attached flyer.

I have amended the Trip Info flyer and the amended copy, Edition 3, is attached.

My apologies if my earlier advice caused anyone any inconvienience.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

Just a matter of interest of what cannot be carried have you got clarity on alcohol?

According to many of the roadside warnings we have passed in various parts of the country we may well have been illegally carrying alcohol onto Aboriginal lands.

How many travel "dry"?

Cheers

John

Hi Colin and the Outback Way gang,

The alcohol issue seems pretty clear for the GCR, NT/WA border to 130km east of Tjukayirla Roadhouse you can convey, but not consume, sell or otherwise distribute alcohol, a slight clarification below over and above the wording on the issued permits. Roughly about 400kms, looks like our overnight at Warburton is a tea-total event which might not be such a bad thing biggrin.gif

RegardsJohn

Here's an extract from the web http://www.tjukayirlaroadhouse.com.au/faq.php

The Ngaanyatjarra Council (Aboriginal Corporation) By-Laws, which apply to the whole of the Ngaanyatjarra Lands, prohibit the possession and consumption of alcohol on the Lands. The by-laws allow you to convey any alcohol that you have with you through the Lands, but you cannot consume it.

The Lands are 159,948 square kilometres in size (compare to the size of England, 130,439 square kilometres). While travelling along the Great Central Road from approximately 130 kms east of the Tjukayirla Roadhouse right through to the Northern Territory border, you are in the Ngaanyatjarra Lands and you are subject to the by-laws.

Penalties for breaching the by-laws apply and fines up of to $5,000.00 can be imposed. In addition, any breach of the local by-laws will cause your permit to enter and remain on the Lands to be reviewed. Please enjoy your time on the Lands. Information provided by the Ngaanyatjarra Council.

:) Thanks John,

I was preparing to answer Zolle's question including an extract from the permit that is issued. Yesterday I spoke to the two Roadhouses and the CEO's office. They make it clear that carriage of grog is OK but consumption is not. One RH lady said that some "open and drink it in their cars" and she added that when they get caught "the penalties are big and serves them right".

Being in WA and the NT and some parts of Qld you just have to put up with some rules that are irksome. On a trip up Cape York we were totally grog free, not even carrying some, as we were visiting ATSI communities. When we got to Weipa we restocked. Soon after arriving back in the CP the police arrived and questioned us on our intended purpose for our purchases. They were quickly satisfied with our explanation but it makes you feel bad having the police in you van!

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

I think we should use our discretion on this issue. I don't think having a glass of wine at dinner within the privacy of one's van would be a problem, whereas sitting outside or in a group having happy hour would attract some sort of intervention by the authorities and that would certainly be a problem for all concerned.

Pete

When we have lived and worked in Aboriginal communities a couple of years ago, those locations allowed alcohol to be carried and consumed if you have a permit. The non-Aboriginal residents made sure they had multiple copies of the permit with them (as in one in each car owned or used) and it was something which was seriously viewed by the non-Aboriginal residents. It would be safe to say that the restriction was not adhered to by other local residents who seemed to flout the law with impunity.

Other communities we have lived in which have been completely "Dry" we found it was rigorously enforced and adhered to be everyone. It is a strange thing but when you are not allowed to drink alcohol you miss it...and on trips to Darwin or Alice Springs we would head straight to the hotel bar! Normally we are not huge drinkers...

At Finke (Apatula) when we worked there for a short time about 5 years ago and were travelling fulltime with the van, before entering the community we dropped off our alcohol (spirits and beer) with a friendly police station who looked after it for us until our departure.

It is a minefield of different rules and regulations across the NT and WA, but generally you are OK as long as you are only transitting the area and do not consume the stuff in public. But breach it and it is generally automatic and permanent confiscation of all vehicles (van and car).

Chris

Hello Everyone,

If you are intending to travel the Outback Way in WA the following website is worthy of your time.

/>http://www.ngaanyatjarraku.wa.gov.au

You will find some great photo's and have your appetite whetted for the beautiful artwork. There is a photo of a really classy art gallery that would be worth a visit. Also, you will find road reports and so on. One document I found is the Council by-laws which covers the alcohol carriage and consumption in detail. I have attached that document for your use.

From the website it looks like beautiful country.

Regards

Colin

Thanks for that Colin.

I think a convoy of our size will hardly go unnoticed by the authorities. It would be a pretty safe bet that when we get our Permits stamped at Yulara/ Ularu or arrive at the first roadhouse for fuel, the bush telegraph (phones) will let people know down the track of our journey.

Pete

John,

I don't know what you are apologising for.....no apologies needed.....we are all mucking our way through this......I learn something new every day.

Regards

Colin

It is all useful I formation and good to be reminded of what is what.

Another issue to remember is that quarantine laws apply when entering WA for fruit, veges and honey. I understand from a brief Internet search that there is a bin at the NT/WA border to place your verges and fruit in. Anything bought in WA and to be kept needs to have the supermarket docket for possible Inspection.

Chris

That's a really, really good point Chris,

Our WA quarantine laws are savage, you can't bring very much in at all. I've heard stories that at the southern border station near Eucla they have asked people to turn out they're garbage and anything in there not allowed or parts of what is not allowed had to be separated and handed in, including potato peel. You can't escape that process by saying show me the bin I'll just bin it all as they don't provide that facility so refuse to let you do it.

Makes for a bland trip west without any fresh produce until a major town, not too many Woolies, Coles, IGA, etc on the GCR.

I'd do a fresh produce drop for the convoy, but, I'll be too early going east. I will though post an update as to what is available at the various stops the convoy will pass through headed west. I wouldn't be hanging out for anything special at a reasonable price though, all part of the journey in the end.

On our last crossing near Kununurra we gave away or binned everything well before the border. We kept the honey though as it was a product of WA the inspector was fine with that.

I doubt an inspector will be standing at the border waiting to flag down the west bound convoy, it all comes down to an honesty system and the conscience of the individual traveller.

Happy pondering

John

Hello,

The quarantine issue is important. On our way around Oz a couple of years ago, Gayleen and I were caught out big time crossing from VIC into SA. We did a did a big fresh food shop in Mildura and an hour or so later handed it all over to the SA quarantine people! :huh:

We were better prepared when we crossed into WA.

One way of overcoming the problem is to have frozen veggies and to have frozen cooked meals.

Regards

Colin

In 2010 we were travelling on the GCR from the rock to Laverton. So.......being law abiding citizens we ate all our fruit and veg before we got to the NT / WA border. Getting to the border there was a sign saying that the bin for the disposal of f&v was a mere 700 kms down the road at Laverton.

What a lot of BS.

Chris.

Ooops! I meant to add the attchment to my last post.

Or, here is the web link:

/>http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_assets/content/pw/q/quarantinewa_traveller_guide.pdf

And here is another useful website:

/>http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au/destination-northern-territory.html

Regards

Colin

We've all been caught off guard at some point on the quarantine issue I'm sure, seems the power that be have adopted a sensible and more reasonable approach to the GCR by having the amnesty bin near Laverton rather than at the border, good to see.

John

We made the decision to include our Breville juicer as part of our equipment on our current trip as we enjoy fresh fruit and veg juice for breakfast. I'm assuming that juicing suitable fruit and veg prior to crossing the border is an acceptable alternative to binning the produce. Although the machine is a bit bulky, it fits nicely into a tub under the bed. Yesterday I made up a batch of pineapple, apple, grape, carrot, celery and ginger. Yummy stuff! Happy to juice for others as we approach the border. :D