The Outback Way

Tolley

King & Deb,

Asked if I would take on the position of Handyman, mainly looking after the water supply systems from the local dam and anything else that comes up over the next six months. Helen will get some work in some area of the road house or van park we guess.

Yes not much other than the RH, but this will give us a good chance to find out what else is around the area as it is usually one of those places you just fuel up or spend a night.

It will be a change but the three of us are looking forward to it.

cheers :D

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Everyone,

We have discovered that Parapituri Waterhole on Wirrilyerna Station west of Boulia is no longer open to campers. So, we have had to modify our itinerary and, hence, Edition 5 is attached FYI.

Today, Friday, means it is only 50 days to go before Phase 1 sets out from Winton. :D

Regards

Colin

• 4 weeks later...

Hello KOGers,

For those interested I have posted a revised participants list and Edition 5 of the Outback Way itinerary in the Gatherings Forum.

Regards

Colin

Those of you who are going on the trip across the Great Central Way will be getting quite excited now, as time gets closer. Val and I will not be with the group but are travelling separately at a different time. This arrangement suits our timeframes better.

I know the group will have a fantastic time and we will hopefully catch up with some of you either before or after the Crossing Major, as we will all be camping in or around Alice Springs in the weeks before.

I am particularly looking forward to travelling through this remote area as the GCW contains the World's longest geocaching trail, and I am keen to nab as many of them as possible.

Travel safely everyone!

Chris

Hello Outback Wayers,

I have sent this information individually to all of our group but I am aware that some find it easier to get the information from this site.

For the convenience of those in our group I have put together for each of you a KOG Outback Way Folder which contains the information listed in the attachment to this email.

So, if you have lost, left behind, haven’t got a printer etc., the stuff I have been sending you……don’t worry. I'll give you your folder when we meet.

The only thing I do not have is a copy of your permits to cross the desert from Yulara to the WA border and from there to Leonora. Don’t forget to have those documents in your possession.

Regards to you all

Colin

Hi everyone heading out with Tolley,

Helen and I arrived in Alice Springs today after travelling across the Donahue and Plenty Highway.

Road Conditions: (my opinion) All sections need to be respected and take care of the bull dust holes and plenty of cattle trucks due to the drought. The couple we were travelling with from Tobermorey had two flats in two sections and they were running at 26 as well.

Boulia - Tobermorey 250 km, once you leave the bitumen you come across 3 sections about 20km long that have been sealed. We let our tires down to 26 psi on all 8 wheels and drove to the conditions, on the sealed sections we travelled at 60 so as not to put too much heat in the tires. This section while I considered it good, had large rocks which had been dislodged from the road and they were sharp. Fuel at Tobermorey $2.30 / lt

Tobermorey - Jervois 217 km, light to moderate corrugations, bull dust sections, large rocks.

Jervois - Harts Range 137 km, Graders had just carried out work to the west of Jervois but this had deteriorated by about 30 km, but the road was still good. The graders were heading east as we left this morning.

Harts Range to Gem Tree 68 km, corrugated but OK with respect.

In saying that we averaged 50 -60 km / hr, and in the graded sections it was comfortable to travel at 70 in short sections but respecting the fact that the road trains had created large bull dust holes that tend to grab you if you relax, cattle and other wildlife is abundant, cattle grids need care when approaching as some have a nice ledge of concrete if you hit it to fast and usually have a raise and drop, most floodways were good.

Hope you all have a safe and enjoyable trip. :D

Laurie and Helen

Hello Laurie & Helen,

That is a comprehensive and very useful report. The news of graders headed east is encouraging!

Given the situation with the cattle industry across northern Australia I anticipate we will experience lots of cattle truck road trains not only on the entire Outback Way but also, subsequently for us, across the Kimberly and NT.

Thanks again Laurie and Helen. Good luck to you both in your travels and in your time at three ways.

Regards

Colin

THE VAN FROM PINE RIVER with apologies to A.B. "Banjo" Paterson

There was movement amongst the Kedrons, for the word had passed around

That the trip across the continent was underway,

And had joined together in Winton - it was worth the thousand miles,

So all the cracks had gathered to the fray.

All the tried and noted vanners from places near and far

Had mustered at the caravan park overnight,

For the Kedrons love the outback where the wild bush horses are,

And the owners snuff the challenge with delight.

Anyone like to have a go at the second verse?

Too much time on my hands, I think!

Colin

An attempt at Verse 2

There was Flynnie, who made his pile when Kingston Town won the cup,

The old man with his hair as white as snow;

But few could follow behind him when his blood was fairly up --

He would go wherever the Kedron and 'Cruiser could go.

And Tolley from the North came down to lend a hand,

No better organiser ever held the reins;

For never could a corrugated road throw him while the sockies would stand,

He learnt to drive while serving on the plains.

Apologies to Banjo

Thank you Jacky Jacky (Ann).....and here is a go at the third verse!

And one was there, a Top Ender a large and rugged beast,

It was something like a camper oversized,

With a touch of pure luxury - three parts thoroughbred at least -

And such as are by outback caravaners prized.

It looked hard and tough and wiry - just the sort that won't say die -

There was beauty in its quick impatient tread;

And it bore the badge of greatness in our bright and fiery eye,

And the proud and lofty carriage of our head.

Fourth verse from someone please...

Colin

Hello,

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mums out there. Unfortunately my Mum is no longer here but I give her lots of thoughts today.

As it is Mother's Day, try this for the fourth Verse.

But there was one so slight and weedy, one would doubt her power to stay,

And the old man said, "That lass will never do

For a long a tiring trip - lady, you'd better stop away,

Those deserts are far too tough for such as you."

So she waited sad and wistful - only Mayzee stood her friend -

"I think we ought to let her come," he said;

"I warrant she'll be with us when she's wanted at the end,

For both her van and she are Aussie bred.

Regards

Colin

Hi Tolley,

Just in case the showers that are going through the Top End get down to the Plenty, the information I provided may change significantly. We will think of you all.

Helen and I decided to take a quick trip up to Bitter Springs for a few days before we head back down to the Three Ways.

cheers Laurie

Thanks Laurie,

Yes, I have been watching them as best one can using TV, weather channel and BOM website. There has been some rain on the Great Central Road in WA. It is just on a month before we hit that road.

Rain can be a good thing for the road surface providing it is not excessive and there is not too much traffic on the wet surfaces before they dry. The other benefit is it brings out the windflowers and keeps the dust down.

We have been having a late and small wet season here in Cairns. By the 10 May we had exceeded the may average.

We wil be talking to the road houses etc to try and get up to the minute reports.

Travel safely and thanks.

Regards

Colin

Hello travellers,

Been watching the rain in north and central WA and southern NT. Might make for a interesting trip, depending on how much falls. We are two and a

Half weeks before heading down the Plenty Hwy and anything can happen in that time.

Those who are out there might keep us posted as Laurie has done.

Getting closer.....got new tyres, new shockers, wheels aligned, bearings nipped up battles sorted......looking good.

Regards

Colin

PS. My attempts to lure you into being poets was a bomber, wasn't it?

Hello Everyone,

This message only applies to the participants in Phase 1, Winton to Alice.

To get the trip started early on Saturday 1 June we will need to get together the day before for a briefing (not too long) and then a getting to know you drink and maybe food at the North Gregory pub or wherever the group would prefer.

According to my records everyone is staying at the Pelican CP except Evo and TheNuts who are both staying at the Long Waterhole just outside town.

I propose the following;

Time Activity Comment

1545 hrs Gather at the Pelican CP at my van. Bring a chair

1600 hrs Briefing starts. Distribution of folders and Kedron promotion items. View short video of first part of trip. Establish routine for the following day.

1645 hrs Briefing ends.

1700 hrs Meet in pub for introductory drinks.

Meeting at my van has advantages over doing the briefing in the pub. It makes the distribution of folders and promo stuff easier and allows me to use our TV, externally mounted, to show the first part of the trip video.

If this arrangement is unsuitable for anyone please advise me ASAP.

Regards

Colin

You lucky buggers.... have a great trip

Looking forward to the trip reports..... have a :rolleyes: great time

Hi Colin,

About 4 to 5 weeks to go....a little girl I'm told.

Regards to Gayleen & licks from Mardi :D

Tony, that will be a special time for all of you.

Moët is now 13 and showing signs of dog dementia! Still lovely though. Cherie is as cheeky as ever. The only pup to get the better of her was Mardi!!

Regards

Colin

Well chaps and chapesses,we hope you all have a wonderful and safe trip. We did the GCR about 3yrs. ago West to East by ourselves and had great time.Will be thinking of you all . :rolleyes::D

Cheers

Rick & Lea

Hi Colin,

I'm in awe of the work you've put into planning the journey across the Outback Way. Thanks for allowing us non-participants to be a part of the lead-up, it's made for interesting and inspiring reading.

We both hope you all have a safe and enjoyable journey.

We'll probably see you all somewhere about the Alice.

Regards

John & Ann

Lea, Rick, John and Ann,

On behalf of the group I thank you for your good wishes to us you a safe and enjoyable journey. Much appreciated.

Regards

Colin

Hello Everyone,

One of the things I find "distressing" during the winter caravaning season is overcrowding during the school holidays. If I had my way school kids would not be allowed more than 200 meters from their homes during school holidays :D

Only kidding! One of the things I find useful is the attached document showing the school holiday term dates for the mainland states. If you might also find it useful download or print it.

Regards

Colin